Do you dress your pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Sweetkymom • May 5, 2014.

1. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I have cats. I don't think they would enjoy being dressed. It's hot here and they already have fur to cover up so why clothes. They do each have a cute collar with their tags.

2. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    It seems a bit over board to me to dress your pets in outfits but it is kind of cute at the same time. I say if your pet is comfortable in the clothes and are not uncomfortable in anyway then I guess its ok lol. I would be more inclined to dress my pets in a jacket during the winter to keep them warm and that's about it personally.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see dogs that wear hats and sunglasses, along with their little t-shirts, ribbons and fancy collars. I think that animals don't need to be dressed up, unless it's winter and they need a coat to help them keep warm. In fact, I can't help but feel a little sorry when I see dogs inhibited from running around freely because their owner thinks it's a good idea to make them look more "attractive". Often, you can see the animal having an embarrassed or pained look in their eyes.

4. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't dress my pets, usually. The only time I do is when it's really cold out and they have to go outside, I'll put a sweater on them, but as soon as they come back inside, it'll come off, because I know they really don't like it, but I don't want them to freeze either.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the winter I dress my dog in his blue sweater or his yellow hoodie, not for vanity but because he's a small skinny dog with very little body fat and he gets cold and starts to shiver if I don't bundle him up.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have cats, so no. They don't go outside, so don't need protection from the elements and I would never dress them up for my own entertainment. Animals hate being dressed, I would never do that to them.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    No. We tried dressing our pet once before but he's always trying to get the outfit off. I guess it had something to do with the texture of the outfit or maybe he just don't like the overall feeling of wearing something. In any case, he's still as handsome as ever so I don't have any problems of not dressing him.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't normally dress up our dogs because this is a tropical country. But on occasions, we do especially when the weather is cold like in December up to February. Last weekend we were in a mountain resort and it was quite cool because of the rains so I decided to clothe our dogs. Besides, I want to show off because those dog clothes are new, just bought it before we checked in to that villa in the resort. The minion dogs.... IMG_4732 minion dogs ok.JPG

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My cat would never let me dress her up, so no. I might consider doing so if I lived in a colder climate, and maybe had a different pet, but there would still be a part of me that felt like I was offending said pet’s dignity. :p

10. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    My dog (a poodle mix) has a rain coat for when his fur is very long in case we need to walk in the rain and I don't have time to spend blow drying him after. He also has a warm coat in case his fur needs to be cut short in cold weather. And he has a life vest for swimming or boating. He also has a pair of nicely made boots in case we need to walk on hot pavement in the summer or salted roads in the winter. We bought all of his stuff as high-quality items and they've lasted for years. He is a good boy and tolerates it patiently. He looks pretty much resigned when I get out the coats or boots but he doesn't run or try to avoid them. He has learned the life vest means water fun, which he enjoys, so he likes that a little better.

My mom on the other hand puts clothes on her chihuahua most days if the weather isn't very hot and sometimes indoors in the A/C even in the summer. That dog weighs less than 4 pounds and clearly has trouble staying warm. I kinda feel bad for her but she often seems HAPPIER when mom gets out the clothes and dresses her like a doll. I'm sure it helps keep her warm but I also kinda think she likes the attention. The dog has a full drawer in the dresser of her little outfits.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    *I* don't do it, but my family would often do it with our dogs. They never seemed thrilled about it either, but they would usually dress them up for the holidays, such as Christmas or Halloween. In fact, it became a bit of a tradition to dress our beagle up for Halloween because she was really well behaved with visitors and would sit on our porch calmly with my dad while all the kids came over. She totally loved the attention everyone was giving her. Our other two dogs would freak out though, so we had to keep them indoors and distracted.

We have three cats now, and the closest any of them will get to letting us dress them up might be some sort of decorative collar. Absolutely no shirts or hats or anything like that - they would cut you up if you attempted something like that.

12. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't - apart from the fact that none of my cats would ever allow it - I would much rather buy better quality food than waste money on buying clothes for them - especially as - not only is it stressful for an animal to be forced into doing something that is unnatural to them but can be detrimental to their health too.

The latter of which - hopefully forgiving my bluntness here - is something that many people don't realize - when they go overboard and start seeing their pets as humans and not animals and begin feeding them human foods and dressing them up in human clothes.

In fact its actually far kinder not to dress pets up in human clothing - for the simple reason - that as the majority of animals are blessed with their very own extremely effective fur coats containing natural oils - as well as their own natural mechanism for regulating body temperature - to keep warm as well as cool - putting clothes or coats on animals - can do more harm than good - as apart from impeding their natural ability to regulate their own body temperature - it can cause skin conditions or sores where the clothing has rubbed against their skin.

To be honest - although I agree that it always makes us feel good to buy things for our pets - even though our pets have no idea why we do this or understand our reasons for doing it either - I do think that sometimes - we need to take a step back and ask ourselves - whether what we are doing is actually beneficial for our pet or pets.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had an old landlady who would have outfits for her dogs, but not her cat and it was ridiculous. I remember her doing a clear out and trying to put an outfit on one and it kept resisting. I do think it's purely for the owner, and I told her it was a waste of money (she was broke, but still go them outfits).

For her they were like children (she has 3 adults now) and so she dressed them up and even had wedding outfits for them custom made. Some people take it too far and she was one. I really see outfits as accessories to the person.

14. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    We have an elf costume for my dog for when we take Christmas pictures and a hot dog costume for Halloween. She obviously hates it, as she continuously tries to remove it. To ensure she's not too uncomfortable, we only make her wear them long enough to take a picture then we take it off. It's adorable, but I feel so bad for her!

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a pet at the moment but if I did I don't think I would dress it up in clothes. I have seen some cute ideas on pets and I have seen some really dumb one. I think some people just need a creative outlet and dress their pets to express their need to show how individual and special they are.