Do you donate?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by dconklin • Apr 3, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I donate when I can. We area little tight on money so I am unable to donate money, but we always donate items that we no longer use. I try to avoid Goodwill because it seems that they mark their prices so high. I try to find local charities and thrift stores to donate to. Even St. Vincent De Paul has better prices than Goodwill. I love donating for a good cause because it makes me feel good that the items that I could no longer use are going to a good home.

2. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    I do donate often, but do much larger donations when a natural disaster strikes and some part of the world needs our help. I do, however, wonder how my money was being used. It would be great if they could actually show you how the money you spent is physically used in part of their organizations. I also heard that organizations like World Vision have very rich CEOs from the money they make from charity. Makes you really wonder if your contributions really make a difference.

3. The FruGal

The FruGalNew Member

Threads:
    DONATE YOUR HAIR TO WIGS FOR KIDS.

I stumbled across this website accidentally and wanted to share in this forum in case anyone is interested. Looks like a very worthy cause! >

Wigs for Kids provide Hair Replacement Systems and support for children who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, Alopecia, Trichotillomania, burns and other medical issues AT NO COST to children or their families.

Wigs for Kids helps children suffering from hair loss look themselves and live their lives with dignity.

4. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I donate when there are food drives, here there are usually people, sometimes boy-scouts or volunteers outside of supermarkets, when you go in they give you a bag for you to put what you want to donate to charity.
    Then when I'm going about doing my shopping, I throw a few essentials in the bag, simple stuff like rice, pasta, tuna, even water are cheap to buy and they go a long way to help someone who needs.
    Then when I'm going out of the store, I add my bag to the pile they have that then gets collected at the end of the day.

5. astockd1

astockd1Member

Threads:
    I'm in college, and there were people from the human rights campaign there looking for people to donate to support LGBT rights. So I signed up to donate $5/month. I don't have a job and I'm planning a move soon, so that was all I could really afford. At least it's something! I have donated to feed the poor in the past, and I plan to donate more in the future when I'm able.

6. ellajanelle

ellajanelleMember

Threads:
    I don't donate money. I feel more comfortable donating clothes, food, medicine, and toiletries. People need these things more than cash. Also, we never really know where the money will go so it's best to donate helpful things instead so there's assurance that they will be put to good use.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I donate old clothes every Christmas but I admittedly only do so because it's a more practical way of disposing of my old items. I'd like to be able to go out of my way a bit more to help out but unfortunately at the moment I am myself not I a very good financial position to do so. Hopefully in the future I could possibly be in a better climate and therefore have more of a chance to help out others.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I also donate goods rather than money. I like to think it’s a good way for me to get rid of things I’m not using, which may be put to better use elsewhere. And if I happen to have some extra food in the pantry and there’s a food drive going on, I’ll go ahead and donate. When I had longer hair and chopped it off, I wanted to donate my hair but never got around to it, shame on me.

9. Wace

WaceNew Member

Threads:
    I donate as often as possible. I agree with you about donating locally, however. We usually sponsor an angel for the local Christmas tree, give to Good Will, and give at church. I love the feeling of giving to others, I only wish I could do it more often, and without hesitation. There are many other ways to be a blessing to others. Giving of one's time and talents, can often be as beneficial as a monetary gift!

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't donate nearly as much money as I'd like to, as money isn't as abundant as I would like it at the moment. But I'm happy to donate other items I have such as clothes. There are plenty of people out there that are in far worse situations than us and are in more need for what we currently have but don't want.

11. Burce

BurceNew Member

Threads:
    Sharing is wonderful to bring peace in our hearts and in the world. While many of us want to donate to a charitable trust worthy for a great platform to influence our motivation in a downturn.

#51Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  12. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. Usually it's just a small amount, but something is better than nothing. Usually when there is a big disaster somewhere in the world, I'll donate to Samaritan's Purse because they go all over the world helping in disaster areas.

13. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Donating is something that I love to do, of course, when I have enough money for myself to give out to others. I think donating is an important thing, but knowing who you should donate for. People who actually need it and legit organizations. I would say that first you need to make sure you have enough for yourself and not just give out without thinking.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. I don't donate unless I know exactly who I'm giving my money to, which entails researching some of these 'charities.' When you actually look into some of them, they are owned by the wrong people - in fact the same people who keep poverty going in the world. The ones who designed it this way. So yeah, I rarely donate because of this.

15. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely NO, you can get me involved in a charity cause whether doing social job, helping with the cleaning of a shelter or whatever, but I don't give money because it's dubious getting it reaching its final destination.

Similarly, I don't donate foods nor clothes that someone can resell, but only if I can give these items directly to whom is in need or to someone I have the total confidence to give my donation to the people in need.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. When it comes to money, there is way too much corruption and lies going on in the world. If I offer someone charity, let it be a shoulder to cry on, or me actively doing something to help people who are less fortunate, rather than just throwing money at the situation without seeing what it is doing or where it is going. I want to be able to see the results of me efforts.

17. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    There are charities that do not ask for financial donations and I tend to go for those. We have a charity that sells used items and makes money for the hospice, I have taken a lot of things there because I feel that they give people an option to give what they can instead of the ones that stand at the shopping mall and shove the can in your face, requesting for money, not everyone has or can give money as many people are on a budget.

18. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I do not donate money always. For example, a local church runs a thrift store who uses its proceeds to help those who need help getting medication, paying utility bills, and with food. I try to take used clothing or household item to them so that the items can be sold to help others.

19. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. I think ONGs are far better and efficient than funding welfare with taxes. Since is a beautiful and selfless act instead of a business subventioned by government. In fact, I have participated in several charity activities in the past, and they were fairly successful.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do make donations but not all the time. I give to people who are victims of disaster or those who I see to be genuinely in need of help. I am only used to donating money, I do not give clothes and do not donate any other material.