Do You Cut Your Own Hair To Save Money?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by kaka135 • Jun 6, 2017.

1. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I've been cutting my own hair since high school! Not just to save money, but because I do not trust another person to cut my hair the exact way I want it. Only I know how to do that. Got a really bad perm in high school once, and that was it for me. I've taken care of my own hair after that dreaded perm and never looked back. I started coloring, cutting, perming, you name it to my own hair ever since. Now other family members ask me to "fix the mistakes" that their hair stylists have made...like once my uncle ended up with bangs :D and didn't know what to do about it, so I sort of tapered them and styled them to go back instead of sitting right there on his forehead. I also trim my brother's hair from time to time, I just follow the same pattern that was there from his previous hair dresser. It's not that difficult at all, once you get the hang of it. :)

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely cut my hair short save for the beards which I occasionally
    work on using a shaver though I find it unsatisfactory. I have been
    wondering why my hair and beards are growing fast yet I am in my 40s.
    I would welcome suggestions on any cost effective lotion or chemical
    which is non toxic that can be applied on my skin to suppress cease
    and hair growth to cut costs in the long run.

3. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    According to me, If you have the capability of cutting your own hair to look civilized enough, I would say you have got some good skills. Most of the people in my opinion cannot have a proper haircut by themselves. So, in the view of saving money I would not opt to cut my own hair. Cutting some one's hair is an art and not everyone can do it. I would prefer to go to a salon or a salon where they do not charge too much for a haircut.

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Pravish@Pravish Yes, I agree with you - cutting hair is an art. I never imagined I could do that until I tried it myself. It has become a way for me to be relaxed and have fun with myself/my hair too. Perhaps I am a stay at home mom which I do not need to meet clients or other important people, actually no one noticed anything wrong with my hair, or perhaps even if my neighbors noticed it, they do not really mind too.

#24Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  5. Jora

JoraNew Member

Threads:
    I wish I could learn this skill because it would save me so much money. In fact, I'm thinking of learning how to do other people's hair so that in future a friend and I could cut each other's hair for free. My hair grows very fast, and it costs a lot to go and have it cut in salons all the time.

6. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Jora@Jora You can check out the video tutorials in YouTube, there are many of them. You can search for the hair style you like, or just short hair / long hair. I started to watch the YouTube videos, and believed that we can really do it by ourselves, then I experimented it with my own hair. At the beginning, I just cut a little bit, then slowly I started to cut more from my hair, and I enjoyed cutting my hair now.

I have also read online some people, not hairdressers, cut their own hair for many years. So I believe this can be done, if you really want to. :)

#26Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  7. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I don't cut my hair regularly since I always love my long hair. But when I do, I just cut it myself instead of going to a salon since I only do trimming and I can save money as well. I also cut my brother's hair since he doesn't like going to barber shops and I think that's a good thing since we can save money as well :)

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Note that another option would be getting a friend, married partner, or relative to cut your hair. Often times, they are good enough to do an excellent job. Also, if they won't do it for free, you might be able to barter with them.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I hope that most of us know this is probably not a good idea, and yes I will admit I have tried. I think it is much better to just go cheap rather than completely free.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, you are right. Sometimes I got help from my husband as well, especially when I can't really cut my hair straight at the back of my head. I am thinking my children might do the same to each other when they grow up too, as they already did that for fun at this young age. :D

11. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    I trim my ends and my bangs on my own. I wouldn't attempt a full hair cut, but I think a trim can be done on your own. You do need a good pair of hair shears, they need to be very sharp. Otherwise, you'll end up creating more damage. I know there are ways you can do a full cut, but I feel like that's best to leave to a professional. It works best for my bangs, they actually charge for just trimming bangs in my salon.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    If I can cut my hair accurately and neatly then I would have stopped going to saloon and start doing this act myself. I tried cutting my hair by myself a few times, there were one minor error or the other which left me embarrassed sometimes. It's a lot economical if one is able to cut his/her hair without paying the barber to do that. The money I pay to cut my hair two times is enough to get a good clipper.

13. Tiile23

Tiile23New Member

Threads:
    It depends on it's location on my body but yhh :D I take care of my facial hairs myself. Please don't think I'm stingy but rather, economizing my expenditure. Personnally, I think apart from hair that grows on my scalp, any other hairs can be taken care of depending on one's personal financial standing. Well, others may prefer that to be done by a professional, yes, but it all boils down to your financial standing. One's living standards and financial standing dictates his/her pace of life.

14. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I shave my head regularly. I actually have a thick healthy hair but I love shaving because it takes longer to grow. Also it is impossible for me to give my self a decent hair cut so I resort to shaving. It does save me a lot of money.

15. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't cut my own hair. I always go the salon to have this done. However, if I just need to wash my hair, I have a hair wash kit at home complete with dryers and rollers and all that. I save money this way by washing my own hair. But for complicated things like hair cut, hair colour or a complete change in style, I would opt to go to a salon.

16. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    I tried cutting my own hair once but not to save money though, I looked ridiculous when I checked myself in the mirror. Though I did a very good job at it, I think everybody knows I did the cutting myself.

17. sw8sincere

sw8sincereNew Member

Threads:
    Wow! cutting your own hair must be a very interesting as I could not imagine cutting my hair all by myself. I wish I could learn to cut my hair too just to save up money. This post now made me realize to go and search for some YouTube tutorials. :)

18. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have started cutting my son's hair. I use clippers with guards and I do the top a little bit longer than the sides. I have gotten pretty good with the clippers and I save $10 this way. I think haircuts are expensive especially when they only take a few minutes to cut his hair. I will trim the ends of my daughter's hair too. I don't cut my own hair though so I go once in a while to get it cut. Maybe twice a year since I don't have the extra money all the time.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I never cut my own hair in India but I cut myself almost always (I go to a Barbour shop only if I have not done it satisfactorily) since the minimum charges here are $15 for a simple haircut for men. I am used to paying equal to half a dollar or a little more in India so 15 dollar or more for a single cut (I have a haircut almost every 10 days) sounds like a costly affair.

20. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have thought about it. But I can't think of doing it from what I have experienced so far. I prefer to rely on others. And see if that is going to help me with the saving of money. Another thing is that cutting our own hair requires some level of training. So that is another thing to think about as well.