Do You Buy Secondhand Books?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Ray1 • Mar 8, 2017.

1. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you ever bought secondhand books? I have bought a number of books from footpath markets which cost less than 40% or even cheaper. I have also bought a number of books from local libraries which they sell at throwaway price here where I live currently. What about your place and book buying experience please!

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    While I was studying in college it was too difficult to study if I just relied from the lecture of our college instructors. It was too hard to catch up with their lecture. So I was compelled to find some resources so that I could secure our references and textbooks used. I looked around to buy second hand books and I even made a direct purchase from the bookstores in our national capital city. Second hand books prices were 50% less compared to their original cost.

3. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have not bought any secondhand books before, though I have seen some in the secondhand book shops. I just haven't come across any books I would like to buy from those book shops, and most of the books are text books.

I have no idea how secondhand book market is in my country. I have just recently joined a Facebook group where the members can sell secondhand books at less than RM10 (around USD$2.25). I haven't buy or sell any books there yet, but I think it's a good idea as we can get the books we like at a cheaper price, and we can also earn by selling those books we no longer like to read.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Since I am a book lover anything that I can het at a cheaper price is most welcome. I have phrchased a lot of second hand books from local stores. I even used to borrow them from friends and library which is obviously free.

Back in school I used to photocopy the text books which was way much cheaper than ever buying a textbook.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes indeed I like second hand books like some here who went to college with second hand books, me too. I liked it because we had a chance to sell our books and buy used books which saves lots of money too. I go to libraries on Oahu which has yearly events to buy used books. We have used books store where I sell my books too. Just sold my Mom's Bruce Lee collection and it is nice to know that people will enjoy the books we've sold. Some libraries have a shelf or two of books for sale year around. I use the printer in the library free internet computer section for I don't have a printer of my own so I love to check the recipe books on sale year round.

is a shop for used and collector items here on Oahu.

6. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I never liked doing it myself for some reason but my mother occasionally did it while I was going to high school. Now that I'm older I can understand why but I always had preferred to get something new that I could consider my own.

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 If you had visited local libraries while doing your final year in Australia you would be pleasantly surprised to see that they sell all books which they consider not worthy to issue to their members for 50 cents whatever the printed price. I have bought some books on various topics priced $100 or more for 50 cents only which they keep near the entrance/admin counters in trolleys for this particular purpose.

#7Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Belovedad@Belovedad When I read yours, I remember I have always been using secondhand books when I was in school, as my brother was just 3 years old than me, so I have been using his old books. While I was in high school, as he still needed the books to prepare for his major exams, so he got me another set of books from his friend. I have no idea if he bought them or just got them for free, but all with someone else's name on the books. Though I do not mind using old book, I understand what you mean by having your own and even writing your own name on the book. :)

#8Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Although I do have some second hand books, I don't like to buy anything used. I like being the first and only owner of everything I buy. :cool:

I only bought these few books because they are hard to find books (and when I found them they were very expensive) and also because they were very well maintained.

10. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Generally, I do not buy books often, be it second hand or new.
    Once a book is read, you need to keep it in a proper way to be out of the clutch of pests. Given an avid reader, a substantial volume of space would have required so far to store the books had I bought them.
    I find that a library membership is the best way to have constant supply of books.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    @moondebi@moondebi I love you idea which makes me realize how troublesome to keep a lot of books at home place in a mini library which occupies a space. In so doing, the house is getting smaller and those books are destroyed by rodents, cockroaches, and other harmful pests.

I would rather get a membership with our city library and other private library for that matter so that I could sustain my reading task and some research work. In doing so, it is very practical.

#11Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my college days. When I would run out of cash, I would check my high school textbooks and select some that I would bring to the second-hand bookstore. And although the price they pay is just meager, that was a great help to a hungry college student. When I started working, I had no more need for my school books and that included college textbooks which could be sold for a higher price. My nephew was so happy to receive all my books which he sold for good money. I don’t know if there is still a store that buy second hand books. Selling used books for money is a good idea because those books will be obsolete someday so they are not worth keeping.

As with buying used books, I still do now because second hand books are very cheap at even less than 10% of the original price. My favorite genre is science fiction which books are expensive so I seldom buy brand new books for my reading.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy books at the Borders book store,before they went out of business,and they had a membership card,also they would send you a coupon for 50 percent off,to your email,that you could use in their physical store. But then Amazon came around with their online model of selling used books and I think, even borders sold on their website as well, before thay went out of business.

Yes, I buy used books all the time now, on Amazon. I also noticed on the Amazon book sellers website,Goodwill selling their stock of books as well,and they seem to undercut everybody?

#13Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2017
  14. brightmind

brightmindNew Member

Threads:
    For a buy and sell of secondhand books, you can try Powell's books online. They offer a wide and diverse inventory of used books. They also buy books online.

15. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy them straight from the market stalls in town at 10-50p for a paperback. Now I normally buy them through Amazon if it is a title I want to read or it is out of print. for 1p +P&P it is worth it.

For a lot of my reading now I'll just buy ebooks or get them from a free ebooks list I am on.

16. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I purchase second hand books all of the time because you can save a ton of money doing so. I frequent thrift stores and have found a lot of great reads just by perusing the shelves when I am there. When you look up books on Amazon, they normally list used selections of what you are looking for too. Word to the wise, always thumb through the books before you buy them used to make sure the pages are all there and there is not something gross stuck in the book.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Something about books just must make them extra nice to slash the prices on because you can get some great deals out there if you look around. We have some great local places here, but online as well of course.

18. komaeda

komaedaNew Member

Threads:
    I've never bought secondhand books myself, but I do think that its a good deal to buy them instead of getting it at regular price. From the secondhand books I have seen being sold, the person normally sells it for $5 or less, which is a much better deal. But personally, I'd probably only buy secondhand books if they're of decent quality since I like the books I own to look nice and new-looking.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @komaeda@komaeda I am not sure which country do you come from but in our country most of the books sell for less than half the original price. In case of these books are in high technical category the seller might want to sell them on a higher price but even then the books will be at least 30-40% cheaper than their printed price. I have bought some books which were priced at $50 or above at just 50 cents from offline government libraries.

20. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    In my college time I have sell my books to such stores who used to sell second hand books. Though I don't remember if I have purchased many. I used to purchase my books from college store and they were having new books only. It is true that we can have same book in really good price by that way. And I remember there is another advantage too, I have purchased few second hand books and those books have underlined all the IMP topics in it, so that it was helpful in reading important topics too.