Do You Buy Books In Playstore?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Jasmin Cottontail • Oct 21, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen plenty of good books in Google Playstore. Some of the books that I would love to try are financial books and non-fiction stories. However, considering they are virtual books, I think they are a bit pricey compared to physical books. I'm currently thinking whether to purchase one or not. I don't really consider buying physical books at the moment since I've been using my phone a lot especially in reading.

Have you ever try buying books at Google Playstore? Is it worth it?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only recently became aware that the Google Play store had e-books. I always thought it was specific to apps and TV shows/movies, but then I started seeing promotional emails coming through my email inbox advertising music albums and e-books. I used Apple products for years, so had built up a large music library in iTunes, and hadn't bothered with looking for music for my android tablet when I got it. I had been so used to using a Kindle app on my iPod that I simply installed that on my tablet and tried to use it, but I had such a problem with bloatware on the tablet that I purchased a Kindle. I haven't explored books in the Play store, and am not sure what formats they offer, so am not sure if I could read them on my Kindle or would have to install some other sort of reader on my phone.

3. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer buying Kindle fire books on Amazon because they have bigger discounts and sometimes they are free despite of being new commercially sold books. Amazon is a better place when it comes to ebooks.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot say that I have, and I do not really think that I ever will. I bet you could have the best deal ever on there and I still might have to pass. I just have not yet adjusted to the ebook thing, enough to buy them anyways.

5. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I too buy books from the Amazon Kindle store. They have a huge collection of various categories of books and its easy to buy. I have never bought anything from the google play store. I always go for free stuff there.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought e-books through Playstore yet. I am not a fan of e-books in general I rather read the physical books.

Although if I am not mistaken I think some of the books on Google Playstore are few at some points. Whether that is a part of promotion, I can't be too sure.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Books at Google Playstore are in two categories and they are in eBook platform or format. In that case, they need a reader for them to be read. Some of them are in pdf format. Some of them could be read in kindle, NOOK, and Kobo. Those readers are not free to have buy them, except for pdf reader which could be downloaded for free like Adobe reader and Foxit reader.

I have been reading eBooks especially in Goodreads site. I use to read free books. I have never been tried to buy books from that site for there are also books for sale there. eBooks are handier than physical books. They don't need to be kept on a library for they can be accessed anytime and anywhere through Internet.

Before the advent of Internet, I used to buy books from the bookstores or borrowed them from the library or from my friends. Now, I don't think I have to buy physical books anymore. I want to resort to reading at my favorite site, Goodreads.

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know this was a thing. I think it's pretty cool that you can buy books through Google Playstore.

I guess we tend to feel like we are getting more for our money when we get a physical copy, but there are benefits to having virtual books as well. They don't take up physical space or cause clutter. You can bring them with you anywhere without having to carry heavy books.

If the deals are good, I'd definitely consider this option. I probably wouldn't pay the same price for a virtual book as I would for a physical one though. A physical book can be passed along easily so others can enjoy it too, or can be donated to a library when you're done with it.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I never found anything interesting that made me feel like buying some (I already saw some books that looked good, but I didn't want to risk). But it's been a long time since I've researched anything there, maybe now I can find something interesting.

Wish me luck and great discounts. :p

10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have no experience of it so I can't say if it is worth it or not. But watching on computer or phone is bit uncomfortable for me. It give more stress to eyes, and I guess more reading on such devices can harm eyes. Not sure. So I prefer off line books more in compare to viewing on any device.

11. SheleyJ

SheleyJNew Member

Threads:
    Not all the time. If I don't get any books I am looking for on the Library then I go online and buy. I also love to buy books from Amazon.

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have not buy books from PlayStore before, but I have just recently considered buying one. There is a book which I would like to buy, and it seems like I can only buy the ebook from PlayStore. I am not too sure, I'll have to check it out again. My concern is, I think I have to pay by credit card which I prefer to pay by PayPal. I am not sure why there;s no PayPal option, unless I buy PlayStore gift card with PayPal cash, then use the gift card to buy the ebook.

I prefer PDF format, as I don't have any eReader.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy the free ebooks from Android and the Kindle. However recently I am not buying them. As Google pulled out most of the free stuff. And also the Kindle books are mostly turned into spam. You can see that is one more reason I am not much into the ebooks of the playstore. That being said, some ebooks can be good. You just have to look at the right playstore. Try Smashwords they have some good ebooks.

14. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail Each time I visited the Playstore, I always have a look at those books. The first thing I always do is to check using Google search box if I can download the book on pdf free, but when I notice that it is difficult. Then, I give up and make plans to getting the book from a nearby bookshop. However, if it is a book on a seminar, skills acquisition books and others that one cannot see easily in any bookstore, then buying it online, if it is worth it, does not look a big deal for me.

Aside from books that I can't see in bookstores and those that are not really worth my purchase, I do not think I can pay to buy any book online. This is because reading such virtual books is constrained by factors such as your mobile and computer system in good condition. Also, if one fails to save the book on a drive, cases of computer loss might also mean losing the virtual book as well.

So, I cannot pay for some books online, unless ones that I really need to read and are not seen offline.

#14Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    @Barida@Barida Aside from books that I can't see in bookstores and those that are not really worth my purchase, I do not think I can pay to buy any book online. This is because reading such virtual books is constrained by factors such as your mobile and computer system in good condition. Also, if one fails to save the book on a drive, cases of computer loss might also mean losing the virtual book as well.

So, I cannot pay for some books online, unless ones that I really need to read and are not seen offline.[/QUOTE]

I almost have the same reasons as yours so I haven't purchased any e-books as of yet. If I have a certain book that I would like to read, I will look up in Google first and search for that certain book and see if I could find anything for free even if it's in PDF file and luckily, I can find the exact book or a similar one if there isn't any. And with that I can save myself a few bucks :)

#15Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2017
  16. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have never bought a book on Playstore. To be honest, I didn't really associate Playstore with books. Only apps and games. I have always made my book purchase on Amazon. But like someone mentioned, before buying any book, I always check first if I can get a free copy of the book online than pay for it. I have gotten so many great books for free online without having to pay for them via Amazon. If you can dig, you will be surprised at what you can find.

17. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    The books available in playstore are very accurate and easy to purchase.The biggest advantage of purchasing books from playstore is that we can read that books everywhere we want.We can read those books in our home,offices or anywhere else.Many books on playstore are free and easy to download for book readers.