Do You Budget Per Day Of Your Holiday Or For The Whole Thing?

Discussion in Travel started by cocolgooh • Apr 3, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I have a budget for every day individually and for the entire holiday. That way if I do go over one day I can make sure I can cut back the next day to keep my holiday as a whole under budget.

Usually when I budget for things to do during a holiday I'll have a set budget for food, drinks, and for entertainment. That way I shouldn't have any unexpected surprises.

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely budget for the holiday as a whole. Part of the reason is that sometimes a budget creates a temptation to overshoot it. This is human nature. You feel that budgetary limits are restricting you. I spend on a day to day basis while trying to be as minimalist as possible. This way I even find that I have spent less.

3. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I know how much I have to take with me on holiday, but I don't ever bother to make a budget per day - because I find that I will then use the money even when I don't need it. I am very frugal when I am on holiday. The fact that we are away is more than enough to keep me happy, and there is really no reason at all to go mad with the spending. That's how I think about it, anyway!

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally have a set amount to spend throughout, but unless it was a theme thing (like going to Disney Parks or something), i don't budget each day. I like to allow for some spontaneity, since it is a vacation. If I want to buy the kids some ice cream, I'm going to do it. That kind of thing.

Like Gemma, I don't go crazy though. I know I'll just end up paying for it later. I try to be careful, and I find ways to save money before I even go. Still, I tend to do a little splurging since it's meant to be a break from the everyday. Just little stuff mostly, but when I'm on vacation, I intend to enjoy it.

When you budget do you have a little bit of a buffer built into your total?

5. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    You sound very organized. And it's important, as you've probably planned your holidays long in advance.
    I tend to be a little careless when it comes to my holidays. I obviously have a certain set budget, but I don't really pay all that much attention to spread it out equally over the days. I just go by impulse. I don't like to plan ahead too much. If I am drawn to a certain place or activity, I just do it. Even if that means that I have to eat fried plantain for the next three days. :)

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do both but I'm not as rigid with the daily budget as I am with the overall budget. On both I usually am willing to go over a bit and having an idea of both the bigger picture and the smaller one allows me to make better decisions on things to spend on but I do try and not to let my consciousness of my budget get in the way of my enjoyment. As much as possible I just try and give myself a rough budget for the whole trip and I allot myself a daily budget out of that and keep it out of my mind as much as possible the rest of the way.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both. One is consequence of the other. If you have a budget for the whole trip, consequently you have to do the math of the per day budget you can have. You can't spend 200 a day in a hotel for a week if your budget is 800, for example.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both, I plan for the whole trip and then how I think I will spend each day. Ifr things do not cost as much as I had planed to spend I can cut back.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a frequent traveler, I have mastered the budgeting of a trip. We always allocate an amount for the total which I break down into items like hotel, food, shopping, tour, and any other expense involved when going on a trip whether domestic or abroad. But I have to admit that sometimes go over the budget when there are tempting offers like the jade figurine in Bangkok which is way cheaper than a similar jewelry item in Singapore.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well when our family goes on holiday, we budget for the whole trip, and then we divide what we have by each day that we intend to stay there. It has always worked out well for us, although there were a few times where the kids wanted little items that were quite expensive. Items we could not afford as far as our budget went. So we had to forgo them.

11. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This is such a great thing. The budget makes everything well organized and this will be really a good thing to do so.

Share some stuff about