Do You Bargain?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Decentlady • Nov 8, 2016.

1. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Many a times while shopping I do bargain when I find that the cost is a bit too off on my desired item. Many times I am successful in getting a discount as well. It helps saves money and I don't have to pay full.

With the change i can buy someother stuffs. Do you bargain?

2. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    I always bargain even on stores that doesn't allow it because sometimes you get lucky to get a discount if you keep on asking. Aside from that, you also get to improve your communication skills.

3. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am a good bargainer but aim for a price which is favourable to both parties. Most sellers quote a higher than normal price in order to sell within their target margin which might not be sound for the customer. Producing a certain amount of money which you find appropriate for the item usually works and so is shopping late in the evening when sellers are amenable to giving discounts.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I bargain all the time because it always feels nice to be able to buy more. I don't like paying full when I don't have to and if I don't get the desired discount I just go somewhere else that will. Bargaining naturally comes to me now since saving is what has helped me survive more.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our country, bargaining or haggling is the order of the day unless you are in the mall. In the flea market and other informal markets here, the offering price is usually 20% higher so it is common to haggle for 60% discount. For example, an item is sold for 100 pesos, we would offer 60 pesos and the vendor would surely react with 80. And if you're good enough, you can get an even lower price than 80%. But in the mall, the prices are fixed so we often buy in the flea market.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where I am buying the item if it's in an open market where prices are not attached to the item I would bargain hard to make sure I am not over paying. If I go to big supermarkets where the prices of the items are attached I wouldn't bargain I'll simply ask if there are any discount or offer

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    For me as well it depends on the product and where I'm buying it from if I try and get a discount on the price or not. If I'm buying from the high street or from a market or places like that then I will sometimes try and get a bit of a discount on the price but online or if I'm buying from a big name retailer I tend to just pay what they're asking.

The smaller stores that are run independently or the stalls where you can actually interact with the owner then you are more than likely to be able to haggle but the bigger stores you are at their mercy really and if you think something is too expensive then you just don't buy it or look for a cheaper alternative. You can't haggle over the price because the person who's serving you doesn't have the authority to knock the price down anyway even if they wanted to.

8. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I am doing some shopping or buying in the market, I always ask for the last price. That is how I make haggle of the price. If my money is not enough, I just go and leave. Look for another stall selling the item which I need. I tell the sales lady the money I have. My wife told that it is also an indirect way of making a bargain.

9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I do bargain depending on the place or area where I shop. If I'm at the mall, I don't bargain obviously but if I'm in a bazaar or a night market, I do bargain, but at a reasonable price of course. However, there are times that I don't bargain even if I'm not in the mall if I find the product or item that I'm trying to buy has a good value for it's price.

10. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I bargain so much that sometime I think I'm wired to do that. Actually, unless I get a discount on the printed price... I think I'm losing in the deal. It is not like that my bargain brings a result, but I do it to get the ultimate satisfaction of shopping. However, now a days most of my buys are from e-stores... hmmmm, I'm missing the bargain in the deal!:p

11. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to bargain, but usually that doesn't give me a discount because employees don't have the autonomy to make discounts, only the owners do. So I negotiate in bigger purchases that are made directly with the owners, like when traveling for example, nothing like getting a few quotes to get a good negotiable base. :)

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    In an open market I am thinking bargain should be done especially in a scenario where you feel the price the seller is quoting is not commensurate with the item. I have come to see that many of these peasant farmers turn sellers sometimes due to stiff competition in the open market tend to lower their prices so much low to attract customers. Further bargaining too hard may be constitute a loss to them as they may probably have no option than to let it go especially if it's a perishable item.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I bargain sometimes too and especially if they just had a sale and I missed it. I put on a bit of a show about me thinking the sale was still on and how I only brought enough for it. In the end, they give in and sell me the item at the sale price instead. They tell me to keep it on the down-low though.

14. SammyGregory

SammyGregoryMember

Threads:
    No I don't bargain. The stores near me don't really allow that. They are chain stores with set prices that aren't negotiable.

15. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I generally buy my clothes and accessories from big retail showrooms so there is no concept of bargaining there. The prices are fixed and during the festival seasons, there are discounts and offers on selected brands. I mostly shop during the festive season to avail the max benefit of the offers and discounts.

Coming to the prices, I have a specific budget planned prior to shopping and I make sure I stay within that limit. I make a note of the price when I am buying the product and once I max out my budget, I check out.

16. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    When I am shopping in brick and mortar stores, I always bargain. If bargaining saves me some money, I don't shy away to bargain. Usually, I don't visit the shops and stores that clearly mention "fixed price." I visit fixed price store only when they are offering discounts and other offers.

17. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't bargain. Only sometimes I do, when I have been told that I have to bargain in this particular market. Otherwise, I don't like bargaining.

18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, but only on flea markets, and only when I'm buying more than $3, then I tend to haggle, since if the amount is too small, then I think that would make me look very stingy already hehe. If I buy in bulk, then of course for sure I would haggle. I did that recenty when I bought around $20 worth of pirated discs for the PC and for DVD.

19. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I haggle if I knew that an item cost lower someplace else or if I'm aware that it is overpriced as is generally the case in flea markets. I certainly haggle when I'm buying in bulk.

It is not at all true that you always have to pay full when you shop at malls. I've bought my TV, digital camera, and kitchen appliances at a mall-based appliance store at 5 to 10% off the price tag. There are appliance stores which are willing to cut their dealer's discount to accommodate their customers request for a discount so yes, don't hesitate to haggle even at malls.

20. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    In a big shopping mall if the prices are tagged on the items and there are no offer at the moment I wouldn't bargain or ask for a discount. If I am in an open market, where bargaining can be carried out I will sure do that. I'd like buy the item when I am sure of the final price.