Do Cats Get Jealous If You Bring Other Cats Into Your Household?

Discussion in Pets started by ohiotom76 • Sep 7, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We're possibly about to take in a third cat. Currently we have two cats and our first cat was really mean when we first got her, then when we took in a second cat she became really nice with us but did not get along with the second cat at all. They still don't get along, the second cat likes to bully her and beat her up a lot. Now there is a third that's been hanging around our place, so we let her in to test how she would get along with the other two. Aside from some minor spats (a swat here or there), the original two cats are largely ignoring the new one. In fact, we're not even sure if this new one wants to stay in our house, she only comes in for a little bit, then wants to leave as if she doesn't feel welcome - especially if the other two come into the room.

Which brings me back to our first cat. She's been really un-emotional about the new cat. She just lays around and doesn't come up to us anymore to say "hi" like she used to. I'm wondering if she's maybe getting depressed now at the prospect of another cat coming into what was originally her household. She seems kind of "defeated" in some way.

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to introduce a new cat to the house is to put the new cat in a separate room. The bathroom is usually ideal for this. This is called a slow introduction. After about a week let them smell each other under the door and play footsie if they want to. You can even push treats in from either side to make it seem the other cat is giving them treats! This usually works really well; however, there are cats who really don't get along with other cats and prefer to be only cats. If you try the introduction and it does not work you may want to foster the new kitty and try to find her another home.

As for the cat acting depressed, it could well be due to the new cat, but could also be due to an illness of some sort. If that should continue, it won't hurt to take kitty to the vet to make sure everything is ok.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Don't introduce your new cat to the old ones in a snap and expect that they will get along well. It really takes a lot of patience and time because based on my experience, cats are very territorial. They don't really need other cats to play with unlike dogs. I have three cats, and I have to go through the whole introduction phase twice. One of my cats used to bully and swipe her claws at my newest cat, Pochi. Fortunately, after letting them together a few hours a day, they got used to each others presence.

4. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    The age of the cats who already live in the household is an important factor. For example, adding a new addition to the house typically won't affect kittens. Older cats however will usually get jealous or mean. The genders of the cats also matter. Male cats are more likely to dislike other male cats- this is ESPECIALLY so if they are not neutered.

5. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I had this problem with my cat when I adopted a kitten. She tried to attack the kitten as soon as I brought it home. My cat seriously would not let the kitten get on my nor come around me without trying to attack it. It took some time for the cat to get use to the kitten being there and then she didn't bother the kitten anymore.

6. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes cats get jealous. I have 5 cats. My oldest really reacted badly when I adopted the second one. She was used to being alone in the house. She was mean and aggressive. I tried to introduce them slowly and with time the aggression stopped. What helped is that I was living in a bigger place so they had room to be apart from each other. The other 3 I adopted at the same time and this time my other 2 cats didn't get aggressive. Now I had to move to a smaller place and the 5 get along well. My oldest still likes to get away from the group sometimes but for the most part she's used to them and I think she even likes the company sometimes. I have a spare bedroom that's a cross between storage and cat room, there's an old bed there and she usually sleeps there with 2 others. My oldest and the second cat now sleep very close together where as before they needed to be in separate rooms. Also at first on the bigger apartment they had 2 litter boxes but eventually started to use the same one so now they share 1 no problem. So my suggestion is to introduce them slowly and make sure you have enough space to separate them just in case.

7. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    This topic is really interesting since I'm a dog person and haven't tried getting a cat for a pet. I thought they're just like dogs that doesn't get jealous (dogs are more territorial, I think :confused:). Anyway, I learned a lot about cats just by reading the posts here. It was really nice for others to take time and share their experiences. ("Liked" all the posts :))

8. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Cats get a lot jealous when they find other cats in their 'area'. I do not understand why this happens and I wonder why cannot they be friends with all kinds of cats in their neighborhood. My cat hates it when such a thing happens and I do not understand what to do with such behavior is shown. My cat starts hissing and sputtering all over the place and it usually ends with a big fight between the two cats. So, I prefer never to bring any other cat to my house.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never knew it was jealousy that made our cats fight when I was younger. I just thought . . . cats just like fighting [ I was a kid then]. But the issue of jealousy aside . . . could it be that all animals are territorial? Bringing in a new cat is taken as a threat and must be treated as such? That only one of them can stay within that territory [because cats are not pack animals]?

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A cat will most likely get a bit jealous, but you need to see your cat's personality first. For example my mom had one cat, but when she brought another rescue cat in, she meant to give the little kitten away for adoption. Her cat loved the kitten so much she decided to keep her, the first cat wasn't jealous at all. As happens with dogs, it's all about their personalities.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that the cats that I had when I was young seemed to get along when a stray started to stay at our house. And the last of those descendants were the same too, they just seemed to ignore the new cat, but they seemed to be scared or wary of him. Then when our newest cat attacked them out of the blue but with his fur not standing up, I thought he just wanted to play with them. But like with people, what kind of stranger wrestles another stranger out of the blue, right? So those 2 became hostile to our then newcomer cat ever since.

12. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I think cats are like people in that they all have their own personalities. Some are outgoing and will have a "the more the merrier" attitude toward playmates after the initial introduction. Some like quiet alone time in a favorite chair, and another cat threatens their favorite things. If your cat is really bonded to you, jealousy could very well be an issue. Or, it could just be territory concerns. Just don't let the kitty's fears come true. The newest cat will have to "earn" his or her place. Keep paying attention to the original kitties and make sure they keep their territory at first. In the long run, it will be more peaceful for you all.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    According to a a friend of mine, who owns three cats currently, cats are very very territorial. Her cats hate new animals arriving in the household, apparently. I am assuming that every cat is different though? I assume that different personalities react to new animals differently.

14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I really think cats do get jealous of other cats, specially if they somehow feel that you are giving more attention and affection to the newly adopted ones. My best friend had two cats before, and those two felines always fight and vie for her attention whenever she was around. It's actually pretty cute and funny.

15. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Cats get jealous. Dogs get jealous. Horses get jealous. Have mercy. I know of one woman who paid a pet psychic fifty dollars to tell her that her old horse was jealous of her new horse. The old horse was acting ill tempered and out of sorts after the new horse came. I would gladly have accepted the fifty dollars to tell her the exact same thing.

I highly recommend giving your older cats some extra special hugs and attention for awhile. Especially the one that's taking things hardest. The new cat will adjust anyway. It's the older ones who need the attention most right now.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At least your cat is a little well off compared to our cat. I was really in total shock and misery two months ago. I tried to adopt an abandoned kitten that was hanging around the front of our house. In an attempt to capture it, I took our youngest cat - a male one with a really big ego. I thought that seeing another cat would make it more docile, thus enabling me to capture it. How stupid I was. Our cat killed the kitten and I had no one but myself to blame. I wasn't aware cats are more territorial and jealous than dogs.

17. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep. Once we got a little kitty that we rescued from the street (it was in actually miserable state and stray) and our cat freaked out and wanted to bully it. She even gets jealous of kids and other animals in the house. When the attention isn't on her, she's upset. :V

18. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not say jealous, cats get insane and the first days are really hard until they have learned to share their space. It's not a nice experiment or at least it wasn't for my cousins, but after a few days everything was fine.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've taken in numerous cats over the years. SO many lol. Yes, they get pretty territorial if they've been there long enough and they may never fully accept the newest cats, but things do calm down and at the very least, they'll ignore each other. Some of mine have become best friends, while others have just kept to themselves and the others allowed it. The craziness only last a very short period of time.

20. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The sad truth is my cats are not social. My dog can mix it up with anyone any time of the day but my cats are very territorial & difficult with any other animals. I mean ANY. My daughter had to bring home a hamster from school to take care of for a week & I couldn't have it there for more than a few days. The cats found the cage regardless of where I put it & terrorized the thing. Just terrible.