Do Any Of You Buy Clothing At Yard Sales?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by PennyPincher • Feb 13, 2016.

1. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    We have yard sales in my town nearly every weekend from mid spring until early fall. In August, we have a yearly yard sale weekend where people can sell unwanted items all they want on Friday, Saturday and Sunday along the sides of a main road known as Rt. 60.
    Often I can find great deals on both gently used and sometimes new unworn clothing at yard sales. I feel this is great for buying every day clothes for myself, my hubby and my kids. Sometimes I get lucky and find clothes that are in great condition that can be worn as school clothes or going out clothes too. Do any of you hit yard sales to find deals on clothing for your family?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do, as long as they are good, clean, and reasonably priced. Last summer I grabbed a brand name hoodie that I later looked up online, which would have cost me like $35.00. I paid two bucks at the yard sale. It was either new or really close to it. It was in excellent condition, and it has been my daughter's favorite hoodie of all time. She lives in that thing. I'd say I got more than my money's worth. She's very happy with it, and she wouldn't own it if I had needed to pay full price for it.

I wash everything as soon as I get it home, so no problem.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I would do this as well. I find you can get great deal on clothing that is gently used or not even used and people just want to get rid of it. I often will buy kids clothes that are brand new with tags on it from people selling them on our work community bulletin board. For yard sales I would have to be in the mood to look through items. It takes time but you can save so much money doing this.

4. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem buying clothes for me and my children at a yard sale. As long as there are not any stains or rips, then you can get a good deal on clothes. A lot of times, I have some high end name brands at them and have paid very little for them. Yard sales are a great place to find baby clothes that are in decent shape for very little money. I bought baby clothes from $.25-.50 a piece many times at different sales.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I am a bit hesitant to buy used clothing because I don't like the idea of it for something so close to your skin. However, I am not totally against it especially if the items are good enough quality and I can get over it if I just have it washed twice. If the item is cheap and is in good condition then I would consider it but otherwise I'd just try and find something at an outlet store which tends to be similarly priced and the good thing with that is it's even brand new.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends. If the clothing appears to be interesting design-wise (and is at a size that fits me fine), then I might give it a go. I hardly buy anything from yard sales, though, because not only are they rare in my side of the word, but people also don't know how to go about the price.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like to buy baby clothing at yard sales. They are the next best thing to thrift stores when paying cash. There is no sales tax either.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't come across a yard sale near my area, but if I were to stumble upon one then I would gladly check it out and buy items there if the items look clean and good as new.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do, and I don't understand why anybody else would want to avoid doing that - because at the end of the day there are lots of bargains to be had, and why shouldn't you make the most of them if you happen to be passing? If the clothes are good quality, surely it doesn't matter if they have been worn by anybody else before. You will still be able to get just as much enjoyment from them.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just can't do it. I can't buy second hand clothing at charity stores or thrift stores either. I just can't do it. There is something about the idea of second hand clothing that really puts me off. To make matters worse, getting them from a yard sale instead of an actual shop? Just no. All kinds of no. I will barely purchase items and appliances from yard sales, much less clothing.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I most certainly would buy some newish clothes at a yard sale but I'd rather buy anything other than clothes. I've heard some horror stories so if I want to be buy second hand clothes, I'd rather get them from a thrift store slightly more costlier though they might be [though not all the time].

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never gone to yard sales to buy clothes, but I go to Goodwill, Salvation Army and Savers locally for clothes. Sometimes you can find brand new items in only certain sizes too. I like it and found it very economical going to thrift stores.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I see something I like and it is in good condition or needs little repair I will purchase it. I go to second hand stores and to see what I can get at a good price. I like to think of it as treasure hunting.

14. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Yard sales are a great opportunity to save on costs. The items sold on yard sales are in various conditions with some as good as new and others in various states of desrepair. For this reason, one has to have an eye for detail. Most of these goods are either in the clearance sale category or acquired from auctions and the prices are very pocket friendly. Traders take advantage of the low prices to replenish their stocks when they visit yard sales.

15. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I enjoy perusing yard sales but in my experience the clothes on offer usually don't fit my taste. So, I very rarely buy clothes at such events. Instead, I often end up buying books, plants or tools. I also like chatting with the folks who sell their things, as most of their items come with a story. It's nice to know what a particular shovel or hammer was used for, or who planted the herbs in the pots. :)

16. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I hardly but clothes at yard sales even if I find nice stuff there. But here in Germany we do not have many yard sales.
    Most of the time I buy clothes for me and my family either online or at a second hand shop.

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I wish I could, but I never find any yard sales around me that have cute styles that I would want to wear. I love shopping for deals at yard sales. You can get some great antiques for next to nothing.

18. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I also do not find any yard sale like this. It will be really having such a good and most appealing time.