Diy (do It Yourself) Vs A Repair Shop

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Oct 12, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Which way do you think saves the most money? Of course, most would say Diy, but then again, shops know this and might provide excellent deals to keep you coming back. For instance, at Jiffy Lube, they change your oil for a decent amount of money. In fact, it might even run up to 100 USD. Nonetheless, though, they will also do free maintenance between oil changes.

However, on the other side, companies like AutoZone make a massive profit from people who fix things themselves, and of course, they would be putting out excellent deals.

2. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't drive around in my car much and I am not the much of a mechanic. Though, I will say that as much as I appreciate and admire DIY work, I think just to save a bit of money, stress and time I will just go to the repair shop. It is better to get a professional to help you out rather than experiment and bring more damage.

3. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes it's sad that owning a machine, no matter how simple, from a bicycle to a truck, you will require to carry out maintenance, whether it's broken down or not. It's sad because it consumes a lot of money and time. When it comes to the issue of repairing it yourself or allowing a mechanic to do it, I think to ensure maximum saving, the duties should be split in between the two of you.

What I mean by this is, the owner should carry out light duties such as oil change, air filter change, wheel change, among others. This can be fairly simple and fun, once you acquire the car's maintenance manual from a good dealer. The manual, explains in a step by step order on how to carry out these duties, the tools required and the materials. It also explains, troubleshooting procedures, which can be very important to understand, in case a breakdown finds you off guard.

However, when it comes to heavy duties, that require skill and precision, then I think it's better to leave the issue to the masters. This includes wiring, engine piston rings replacement, among others. That way, I believe one will be able to carry out their car maintenance efficiently, while still maintaining value and performance.

4. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    If I have a car, then I would want to know the ins and out. That means I would either study online about practical auto servicing and stuff related to car maintenance that can be done with less efforts or even enroll at a 3-months automotive practical course if there's any. That way I will have a little know how about my car's status rather than relying solely on a mechanic.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I think we can save money by repair the car by yourself, I usually do this but only if it is a small affection if it is something more serious I prefer to take my car to a professional service even if it will cost more!

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    If I was able to do it myself then I would definately do it but I have no idea on how to fix a car even if the fix is minor. When I had a car my dad would be the one do fix it and do the oil change for me. I feel like I will damage the car more if I tried to fix it myself so I prefer someone with more knowledge to do it even if I have to pay.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Myself, I'm more in the center. Some things I do myself, or I used to do myself, while other things, like oil changes or repair, I've always handed over to an expert. Anyway, I would do stuff myself now, but a lot of times the free check-ups at Jiffy Lube take care of the situation.