Directly at the carrier vs booking online

Discussion in Travel started by Peninha • Apr 1, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you book your flights online or directly at the carrier? I think it's a myth that we get the best prices online, sometimes contacting the carrier directly we get in fact better prices. What has your experience been telling you?

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    So far I've gotten the best deals online but I always double check with the carrier directly to see if they can at least match the price.
    They always tell me they can't since they say the agencies are responsible for the prices but I don't see why they don't just take the money straight to them instead of going through an intermediary.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are carriers that don't have a physical service and they do everything online, but sometimes we do manage better prices contacting the carrier directly. The reason for this is unknown to me because I would have thought that online would cut their expenses, maybe last minute flights get best deals?

4. yossup

yossupMember

Threads:
    It's actually not a myth. 9 times out of 10, you will always get the best prices online. The reason for this is that online sites have algorithms that continuously search for the cheapest prices and then lower their prices to be even cheaper. These sites, like expedia and priceline, have access to in-house prices so that price their tickets accordingly. Hence you won't see cheaper prices at the carrier since you have no leverage.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, even with 9 out 10 being that true it's worth to make a few calls if they will save us some money. You make a solid point though yossup, in fact it makes more sense that the online prices are cheaper because the sale is made without people being involved.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Keep in mind though that when you buy directly from the airlines, you will have more leverage if you need to move a flight to a different time or date. When you buy it from a place like Priceline, the airline is paying them a commission already for that sale, so the flight is locked in - you cannot transfer it to another time. When you buy it directly from airline, it cost them less to acquire you as a customer, so often times they will be a little more cooperative. Otherwise, they may tell you that you need to buy a whole new ticket if you have to take a different flight for whatever reason.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good point there, even though travel agencies buy in bulk, they do pay a commission, so the airline should really be able to do the better price. It's crazy why they don't...!

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Directly from the carrier for sure! Online booking websites are great for price comparison only, but they all charge extra fees you don't need to pay for it if you go straight to the carrier. That's what I always do, I look for the best price at the online booking website and once I stablish the carrier with the best fare and option I go straight to their website and buy the ticket. Unless what I'm looking for is a hotel, then I go straight to hotels.com and book directly with them, because aside from not charging extra fees they have a great rewards program.

9. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm starting to think like that too isabella, I am not a big flights client unfortunately, but it makes a lot of sense that the carriers make better prices because they have less expenses in the sale.

10. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think discount sites are really what they use to be. I agree that sometimes you can get the same rates or better rates directly. It has happened to me. I think the carriers now give discounts for booking online through their sites, but you may get charged if you call them. So, when it comes down to it, you really have to do your research now.

11. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    Definitely online, I find it a lot cheaper. You can search for more deals and offers online, which is what I like best. Booking directly at the carrier means that I can't really compare prices much, so I almost always get the best price online. I don't really use the comparison websites, but I do my own research and work out what is best price-wise.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think I've gotten the best deals online. We recently bought tickets for Vancouver and I searched for about 3 weeks. I found the cheapest prices were at mid morning, they would often go up at night or early evening. Must be a time when everyone is at home searching. I also noticed that the prices did drop as it closer to the date of departure as I think they want to fill the flight. You have to be careful when you are searching as I thought I had a deal but it was because the prices were in US dollars not Canadian.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recently the hotels have been advertising that you can get more deals if you book directly with them instead of theru a booking agency. I think you need to compare the two to see which one gives you what need at the time of purchase. You may have to give up the time you would prefer to travel to get the price you want.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our favorite airline is Cebu Pacific Air. We get discounted tickets via online, all the time. We have connections in that airline but the advice we got is to monitor their website because discounted tickets are only sold in their website. So that is clear, there is no other way of getting discounted air tickets from Cebu Pacific other than online. By the way, we have a trip to Vietnam on September 25... on a discounted plane ticket.