Diet Soda

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by rares209 • Mar 4, 2015.

1. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    What are your thoughts about diet soda? We all hear that this is a "healthy" soda and it will help you lose weight, or mentain your weight to be more specific. But do you think it is only marketing and manipulation and those artificial sweeteners are as bad as the sugar?

2. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    Diet soda is not a healthy drink. Just like any other sodas, diet soda have virtually no nutritional value. Diet soda also increases the risk of type 2 diabetes. A study conducted by Harvard shows that drinking diet soda increase the chances of developing Type II Diabetes to woman.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely not healthy. Both are poison to the body, but diet soda has studies behind it now that suggest it's actually worse for you than regular. There is no such thing as "healthiER" when it comes to sodas and most other processed foods.. they all share similar ingredients.

4. CyberGal

CyberGalMember

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with it. There are always going to be naysayers but for me, I am so thankful they exist. As a diabetic who doesn't drink anything warm, the only thing besides diet soda that I can drink is water and I couldn't live off of drinking nothing but water - I'm not a fish LOL

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It taste a lot better than regular soda in my opinion, doesn't give me a sugar crash, and is better for weight gain. I do have concerns about aspartame, but I would still take diet over regular coke. I don't drink either these days, but this was back when I drank quite a lot of it.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am aware diet soda is not healthy and not better for your health than regular soda. With that said it is not packed with bad sugar, and even if sweetener is not good for us, I still prefer to have the diet version.

7. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this answer. I never thought of it's 0 nutritional value and the fact that it can increase the risk of type 2 diabetes should make more people aware of this product.

8. Hybridlullaby

HybridlullabyNew Member

Threads:
    There are plenty of replacements for these that are not diet but are actually not detrimental to your health. You can find plenty of natural sodas at organic food stores. I really enjoy Izze brand drinks. They are mostly juice, but they give the soda kick. There are the sodas called Dry. They are literally just flavored sparkling water. There are brands that are actually soda flavored, but they only have organic or natural flavorings and taste like the real thing. Just look around. It's not too hard to find.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The words 'healthy' and 'soda' don't really go well together. I don't think any soda can be considered healthy. The only healthy drinks are those that are free of additives and even cordials aren't considered healthy. I think drinking soda each day can't be good for you, but some people get addicted to it and they do it because it makes them feel good, rather than health reasons.

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I certainly don't see them as healthy. To substitute for the lack of sugar, you're being pumped with an unhealthy artificial sweetener. I'm really not a fan of these types of drinks and generally completely steer clear of them.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The sweeteners are actually worse for you than normal sugar. There have been numerous studies on this topic that the sweeteners are really bad for heart health.

I've always avoided the "diet" versions of junk food. If I'm going to eat something that's going to be bad for me, I'm going to get exactly what I want to eat, not the "diet" version. The best way to keep your weight under control with fast food and junk food is to limit the amount of it that you eat or drink.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it can't possibly be that good for you, but at the same time I don't think it is so bad either. Once in a while it should be fine. It would probably just have an effects if you drink too much, if any. Ive heard of many people who drink a lot of sodas who are just fine, so I think as long as you keep the rest of your meals and lifestyle healthy then it shouldn't be much of a problem.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Diet soda has been shown to be even less "healthy" than regular sodas because of the artificial sweeteners. Either type of soda in moderation is all right, but people often drink more diet soda than regular soda because they think "healthier" means that they can indulge in more of it. I'd avoid diet soda at all costs if you're looking for something to drink every day. Stick with water.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People who are "just fine", won't be for much longer. Or they're already suffering from issues they don't connect to how they treat their bodies. Just one drink sets off a reaction in the body you have no idea is going on. And nothing we eat will cause major issue right away.. even after many years. That's why so many people are so smug about the whole food thing and eat what they want and not care about the consequences. Oh they'll care lol.. and probably already do in the privacy of their homes (and bathrooms lol). It's nothing to mess with... but yep.. I know I sound kooky, since you're all so healthy right this minute ;)

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Many are saying that artificial sweeteners are bad, well, to conclude it, there's not yet a definite study whether they are carcinogenic or not, and whether they are harmful or not. There are some short ones, but as it turned out, there wasn't harmful effect of this found. But in the diet soda, it's not just the sugar content that matter. Another thing is them being carbonated.

16. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    Diet soda is definitely not good for you as they used artificial sugar and aspartame! There is no way that it is good for your health! If anything, drinking water is so much better for you!

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Along my years, picking up information and facts about food here and there, I have learned - and it has come up time and time again - that diet soda is often worse for people than the actual full fat version of the soda, and many people have no idea about that. They have changed the name of Aspartame to, which is very suspicious when you look at all of the claims and research that it causes countless health problems.

18. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with all those who say diet soda has zero nutritional value. If anything, it's very unhealthy as heavily leaden with sweeteners, which actually do more harm than normal sugar. In my opinion, It tastes foul, too. It worries me just how many people with weight issues have bought into the diet soda con, because I see them drinking copious amounts of the stuff as if it'll magically melt away their weight!

19. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Actually regular soda is better.... well not better, but the lesser of two evils so to speak
    Your body actually knows how to break down sugar; it is unsure of what to do with aspartame and has a harder time breaking it down.
    I have only had diet soda once in my lifetime and that was because it was free, but I wouldn't willingly buy it

20. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say it is definitely marketing and manipulation. I don't drink sodas at all anymore, diet or otherwise; but when I did I can tell you that something in the diet soda actually made me gain weight rather than helping to maintain. Plus, if you read up on it, the sugar substitutes break down in a bad way when those things are stored in high heat, which they often are as warehouses are not known for being cool.