Did You Ever Encounter A "too Good To Be True" Claim... That Was Actually True?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by hellavu • Feb 4, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Most incredible offers are scams. Because we're just not that lucky, nuh huh.
    But did it ever happen to you that you came across something that made you suspicious at first but that, then, you realized was not a scam, but rather a very special find?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only once. There's this software which costs $30 and I saw an ad on Cnet which declared that the software could be downloaded FREE for just one week. I thought there would be a catch of some sort or it [the software] would come bundled with nag-ware but the software was great. A week later when I was looking through the developer's site, I noticed that the software was once again being sold.

That's the only time a claim that seemed too good to be true actually was true.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are offers out there of that nature, but because I'm very cautious and a tad cynical, I usually leave it too long before I jump in and by so doing; end up missing the boat. Off the top of my head; I can't at the moment think of anything I've come across that fits the bill. I think it takes a lot of courage to take a leap of faith and give things like that a try, given the amount of scams we now have.

4. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    When I first started working online I came across many situations that sounded too good to be true. At that time I was gullible and took a few chances with these sites. Since then I am very cautious and have found, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is. I've yet to find a site that kept its word in this situation.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I agree. I often times don't think to go looking for them. There were certain banks used to give out free money for opening a checking account. Also I don't know if this counts but Papa John's used to have a birthday club. Like you said I missed the boat

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think because of all these modern day scams, we've all become just a touch jaded. If we something is for free, we become suspicious and often we'll say er, no thanks and run for the hills. We don't ask questions, we don't investigate further; it's been drilled into us that nothing in life is free. -and if it's too good too be true, it usually is. I think the expression says usually, but we just apply it right across the board as a defence mechanism against any and all dodgy types.

7. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    This still happens - you aren't too late! :) Capital One has a CapOne360 account that they give big bonuses for joining at certain times of year. July 4th and Black Friday, if I remember correctly. You have to be very careful to follow the terms of the offer to get your payment though.

When I did the offer, I had to transfer some money to the account (I did $10), activate the debit card, and use it at least five times (for purchases over 50 cents - $1, I don't remember exactly) within a certain number of days. I was careful to do so, and received quite a chunk of cash deposited into the account!

They also give referral bonuses, so you can then refer friends or family, and you both get a bonus. I recommend checking it out if you don't have a problem with online banking.

8. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    Yes!

I joined a website called Swagbucks, which gives you money toward gift cards for completing online tasks (playing games, watching videos, web searches, etc...). I was extremely suspicious, because really who gives free money for watching an advertisement or playing spider solitaire. Seriously.

Well... I got my first gift card on Friday. Didn't expect that to happen. It took me a while to earn the card, because you only get 1-2 points per video and the points roughly exchange as a penny. Not a bad way to pass some extra time at work.

9. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    As far as I can remember, that only happened once...
    I had been trying to quit smoking, and a friend of mine got me into Alen Carr's Easy Way.
    They charged €150 to get me to quit smoking, and they promised to give me my money back if it didn't worked... :eek:

Since I knew people who had used this method successfully, and I really wanted to quit, I went ahead and payed €150.
    It take a lot of words to explain how it works, but let me just say that I almost barfed when I was done with the session, and the lady asked me to light a cigarette :p

Do try it... No stress, no anxiety... Just perfect.

I also know of one person who, sadly, wasn't able to quit, and they gave him the €150 back ;)

10. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    @Colebra@Colebra well that sounds like advertising for a barely reliable method. But I'm glad it worked for you (for 150$). How long did that take, by the way, for you to get sick from cigs? And how long ago was that?

11. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    @hellavu@hellavu On a day-to-day basis, I find that I have to restrain myself from talking about it much, because it annoys the hell out of people who smoke, and unconsciously wan't to quit.

This is how it works, ladis and gentleman:

This dude from England, called Allan Carr, was a heavy smoker, and morbidly obese, and somehow he realized that he was just waiting for death to come get him.
    He then quit smoking, and wrote a book to teach people how to quit.
    By the way, I also know people who quit smoking, just by reading the book. I have never read it myself.
    The book has then been used by therapists, at least thats how the lady who ran the session I attendend described herself, to help people quit smoking all around the world.
    And if I can find this in Portugal... Trust me. There must be sessions close to where you live. Sounds likely to me...

As for the sessions itself...

I knew nothing of what was about to go down when I went there, even despite knowing maybe 5 people who had quit with that method... It's just hard to describe...
    The only requirement from them, was that I had to bring cigarettes, and a lighter.
    It was my 25th birthday.
    Went in, lady layed out how the tobacco marketing works, explained how the mental and physical addiction feed of each other, some other stuff I don't even remember, and did a little meditation to finish off.
    Every 30 mins or so we had a cigarette brake.
    At the end, she asked me if I was ready to smoke my last cigarette. I laughed. Went to the balcony, lighted up, nearly barfed.
    Left my cigarettes and lighter in a huge "cemetery" they have there. Everyone leaves their stuff behind.
    Got in my car, went to a huge birthday party, pounded some whiskey, never craved a cigarette for a second. Ever again. That was like 5 years ago.

I guess there's still magig in the world ;)

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    @Colebra@Colebra :

What a weird story.
    My boyfriend already stopped smoking, though, and so did the important people in my life, so even if there was anything like it around, I don't think I'd be able to recommend it to anyone just to check it out. The people who do smoke, I'm not close enough to and I don't think they want to hear suggestions.

But it's strange in that there is no real trigger then (maybe there was specific smells in the room? any visual key?) but yet it worked on you but not on your friend. I'm racking my brain, here, trying to figure out the trick!

13. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    That's a tough gem to find but I did find one offer, come to think of it I think it's probably one of the best that is being offered on a frequent basis. Steam games. Once a sale hits on Steam it's basically a deal you can't pass especially when you're a gamer. Even if games are not on sale they're still really cheap. Some games that are not even that old can be purchased for just $5 which is crazy since some of the pirated game DVD's I see being sold on alleyways (yes they do exist, at least from where I live back then) costs more.

14. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have in fact found a website called Quintatraders.com which sells electronics at very low prices. The kneejerk reaction of most people with regard to this is to trend carefully regarding such offers. But it turned out to be true and I will take advantage of this to buy my next phone. Most people miss out on hit sales due to this overly pessimistic outlook. It pays to be open eyed and gauge each situation on its own merit.

15. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, I bought a tablet for $37 from ebay. When I made the purchase, I was not very hopeful. I was getting the product for $37 when it was priced $59 in the local store. I thought there might be some problems. However, upon receiving the product I found out that I actually had made a wonderful deal.The too good to be true claim was actually true.