Deoderant - Could You Go Without One?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by littlewitch66 • Jun 5, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I was talking to a friend yesterday who told me she has never worn a deoderant/antiperspirant as she doesn't need one. She believes that if you don't start using them you will never need one.

I tend to disagree with this as I know that when I get hot I do perspire and body odour is caused when the sweat becomes stale. Are you the kind of person that doesn't perspire much and could get away with not using one? It would certainly save money.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could live without one but can't happen because I live in a very hot and humid location. A few months ago my cousin came to visit me from another country where it's hot but dry and she said she didn't need deorderant but when she got here she wished she had brought one. The next day she bought one as she said that she actually did sweat this time.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I live in a tropical country, therefore, it's inconsiderable that I could last out a day without deodorant. If you should rush out of my house forgetting to put on a deodorant I could not be comfortable through that day so I would have to get one on the road and apply it as soon as possible. When the heat gets to me I will perspire a lot and later in the day the sweat would bring about some sort of odor, therefore, it's essential that the deodorant is applied to keep me fresh and dry.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's possible to live without one, but much more comfortable to use one. When I go trekking I don't use one only because you sweat so much and then you have to carry only essentials.

Everyone sweats and that's how the body works, and if you are out all day then you may smell. Unpleasant body odor is not pleasant at all, and using a deodorant is just good manners if you in public. At home it's a different matter, but outside, it's a bit like washing your face and brushing your hair. You should make yourself decent.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This may sound incredible to some. I don’t use a deodorant and I don’t remember the last time I used one. For sure, I would be using a deodorant if I would have body odor. My secret is in the bathing. I soap my body and rinse. And then I soap it for the second time but I let the soap stay for more than a minute. And while waiting for that minute, I massage the lather on my body particularly in the armpits and groin. That takes care of the body odor. Goodbye deodorant.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Meet me, I have never used a deodorant in my life and no one ever looked me 'with those glaring looks' because I was smelling foul. Maybe if you have a tendency of foul body odor then you need to hide it with artificial methods but if you take proper care of cleaning your body with proper care at shower time and be careful what you eat probably you will never need a deodorant.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    To the people who who claims they dont stink. You have no idea, The only reason you don't smell it because it is your own body part and you are desensitized from it. People with stinky bed rooms are not aware their bedroom stinks because they are used to it.

8. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    We all have different types of bodies. The level of perspiration also depends on the amount of work we do. I normally do not perspire a lot and most of the time when am at home I never use a deodorant. However, when going out to work or anywhere else, I must use a deodorant. It is good since it ensures am confident all day long. I can comfortably hug someone, raise my arms or even use public transport.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use 'commercial' deodorants. I only use fine alum powder which I apply on my underarms immediately after bathing. Nowadays, alum powder is available in a 45-gram container which only costs less than fifteen cents. There's even a scented version of this. It is an effective deodorant although I'm not sure how it's going to work with guys and gals who have hairy armpits. I'm done with chemical-based deodorants that leave residue on my clothes and irritate my underarm.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan I agree with you that we get used to our own body or atmospheric odor but a person close to you would not hesitate telling you that you stink or your bedroom has an unpleasant smell. I have yet to find someone who has said this to me and I consider some of my friends as fairly outspoken :)

11. littlewitch66

Threads:
    I must admit I feel better and more confident when I wear a deodorant because although our temperatures can be cool in the UK when it does get hot here it's very humid. Also, stress can make you sweat more than normal so if I was in a situation where I felt stressed I would definitely need one.

My daughter sweats far more than I do and she said she couldn't possibly go without an antiperspirant as she has big wet patches under her arms if she goes without. I guess we're all different.

12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use a deodorant now. When I was younger I used a deodorant. As I noticed through time I found I don't need a deodorant, so I stopped buying deodorants. I do use fragrant body sprays that are just a dollar at Walmart. I love the different kinds of fragrant body sprays they have at Walmart for it works like a perfume.

13. littlewitch66

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe Yes I think body sprays are good too. They don't stop you perspiring in the same way a deodorant/antiperspirant does but they act as a good alternative for some people. My 10 year old granddaughter has already started to get very faint body odour and she uses a spray which works for her at the moment.

#13Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2017
  14. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    Never thought to hang out without putting up my favorite deodorant. Every human has the pores in his body and nobody can ignore the fact that they sweat. Especially, those whose sweat has a bad odor must have to wear a deodorant otherwise, they are hard to bear seriously!

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In a cold or moderate climate, soap and/or a body wash is all that's needed. However, though, in a hot climate, and especially in a heavy exercise situation, a strong brand of soap and/or a body wash is literally a requirement. In that case, a weak soap normally won't do the job.

16. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot go without deodorant I sweat profusely and sweat leaves unpleasant odor on my body. I cannot stand my own odor how would anyone sitting beside me. Therefore, I use deodorant. I have tried using vinegar to get away from body but it does not work. Therefore, using deodorant is my compulsion.

17. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid, I had a body bad odor. I used to apply a natural remedy but it didn't last. I wasn't consistent in maintaining that body hygiene. I felt very frustrating of such condition for my peers and friends were backbiting me. Well, I have no choice but to keep by myself free such body odor for I always get wet when I do physical activities.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    So I am getting the message loud and clear. Girls are in favor of Deo or body spray but the men feel they can do without it :) I sometimes feel that once you start using deo then you can't live without it or you become a bit careless on your personal hygiene (please do not take it otherwise as it could be different for different personas). However, if you take a bit extra care of your personal hygiene, you can certainly save on Deo or spray.

19. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    In this day and age, we have become more active, thus producing more sweat which leads to odor that can only be stopped or reduced by my experience by using a deodorant so i just can't see us going without using one.

20. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Zero@Zero Thanks for your suggestion but I think I have become lesser active in last couple of years and most of my time is spent within closed doors in aircon rooms. I think that could be one of the reasons since I do very less manual labor apart from my morning jogging and running for one hour and then I am almost in sitting position.