Daily Family Budget During Travel

Discussion in Travel started by Athenagdlyt • May 27, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Recently, I've been reading about families traveling through different parts of the world as their lifestyle. I am amazed and in awe when they tell stories about places they've been to and activities they do with their children even on a shoestring budget.

A

has traveled to 43 countries starting with a $30,000 budget. They can work with $100 daily budget for food and accommodations.

This inspires me a lot to do something like this someday. From your experience, how much can you budget for a day including meals, accommodation and local transportation expenses when you travel with your family?

2. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think the budget really depends on the country you are visiting as well as the lifestyle that you want when you are in a particular country. I think personally I can live in a small budget when traveling mainly because I don't really usually go for very expensive restaurants and I also don't shop a lot. Also, I am able to look for good accommodations for a low price. I think it's just a matter of research prior to the trip.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with wonder_n_wonder. If we are to make the assumption that you intend to stay in one city for the entire time, you can find a cheap hotel that's out of town. It'll be much cheaper than the touristy hotels. In places where you can rent an apartment for a short period of time, you can do that. It would cost you only a fraction of what you'd have spent if you operated from a hotel room. I think if I was in a position where I had to travel with a family I could get by with spending less than $100 a day.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think your budget depends on a lot of what the two posters above me said. It depends on what city you go to and what you expect to do during your vacation. If you're planning on going to NYC for example, you're probably going to need a larger budget because of food prices and most place there cost money. But if you're going on vacation in California and plan on going to the beach a lot, you probably don't need as big a budget because the beach is something free you can do.

Judge what your expectations are of the vacation you're planning and then go from there to create a budget.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think that particular budget could be rough because of gas and vehicle maintenance costs, to be honest. They wouldn't have to deal with a mortgage or rent, all of the utilities, etc, so it's definitely doable. But you never know how the cost of gas is going to rise or when you might need a new engine, etc. That makes it way more tricky than budgeting for food, for example.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, I think that's really cheap and very affordable. I wonder now how they are able to do it. We in our family usually don't travel together because it could really be expensive. When we travel, we usually just travel alone or with friends and we just our own money. Well I think we could do this in our family. We go travel together, but we would have to spend our own money. Doesn't sound like a family outing though.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind to budget my family travel that way in the past but now I have a young baby so everything change. Even though there are only three of us but I like to make sure my baby is most comfortable when we are traveling somewhere.

The budget is always depends on where we are going, how we are going to travel around, the weather, and so on.

8. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Budget for the travelling is very big issue and specially during the travel and i think travel is one of the most famous part of life..

9. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    I guess this depend on the country in which you are going, as well as the number of your family members, and also through which mean you are going, through travel agency or by yourself.

10. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    A good way to start would be to determine your budget for travel over all, the amount of time you have to spend traveling, and then determine which places you could go and stick to your budget. As other people have said, location will have a lot to do with how much thing will cost. Also if you can stay at hotels with kitchenettes you can save money cooking your own food at least part of the time.

11. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I find it very hard to stick to a budget especially when traveling. Because there's so many new things that you don't often see when you travel and you don't want to miss the chance of trying it or buying it. So I make it a point to bring extra cash with me during traveling. :eek:

12. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have never done anything like this but I was amazed when I read that they can budget everything, including accommodation, for $100 a day. I live in the UK and this is about £60. I went camping with my family recently and spent significantly more than this.