Cutting The Cord

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by Diane Lane • Aug 25, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been threatening to cut the cord for quite a while now, but I was a bit concerned about going with antenna programming during Hurricane Season. Also, I learned a while ago that if I cut my cable television off entirely, I would have to pay $20 per month in 'unbundling' fees to the provider. I have been looking around for an alternative for a long time, and since I'm quite a ways away from the city, there aren't many options to my current provider.

Yesterday, I got totally fed up when I saw the amount on my new bill, and I decided to look at my options. I found one that lets me receive just the local channels for $20/month, which is the same as I'd be paying for the unbundling fee, so I decided to go with that. I'll still have my DVR, but won't be able to record anything, nor will I be able to fast forward, pause or rewind, but I can live with that. The DVR will basically just be functioning as a receiver. I didn't want to have to rely on antennas, since I'd have to purchase another to serve my third TV. According to the provider, the amount of my pre-tax bill should be basically the same amount I was previously paying just for television services, but will cover the local channels and also my internet. I already have Netflix and Hulu, which I had paused, since I wasn't really using it while I had my cable TV.

My goal is to mainly use Netflix and Hulu, in addition to the local channels. I will probably occasionally supplement those with rentals from Amazon, Vudu and Google Play, but I've been doing more reading these days anyway, so I really didn't need to be paying so much for TV.