Could You Make A Campervan Your Permanent Home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by littlewitch66 • Aug 15, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have a single male friend who is temporarily living in his campervan because his house has been severely flooded and he cannot live there at the moment. He says he is enjoying it so much that he is thinking of selling his house once it is rectified and living in his campervan permanently. It is much cheaper than owning a house and will save him a fortune although he works and will have to find a permanent site if he sells his house.

Obviously this would not be ideal for anyone who has a family but do you think you could live this way if you were single? It sounds attractive from a financial point of view but I don't know if I could deal with the lack of space,

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I could at least not permanently. I can see doing it in the same situation as your friend and it would be nice to cut down on expenses. I guess it would be the same concept as the tiny houses that are becoming popular. I would think that it would be hard to find a permanent location for the campervan. I would probably start feeling claustrophobic after a while.

3. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    It certainly sounds attractive if I were single and had the liberty of parking the van wherever I pleased. I could take it to the seaside or up on the mountains, but that is just wishful thinking. Yet, a solid ground to live on when you have a family to raise is the better option. I guess living in the campervan sounds so much romantic and adventurous. I occasionally used to watch a British show, A Man and his Campervan, and it was so awesome, seeing the living a nomadic life, scourging in the nature for food. I wish I could live that way!

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I think I could make do with just about anything if necessary. Having any kind of roof over your head is much better than being homeless. Living in an RV full time would probably get old after a while though, but yeah, it would be much easier if you're single and on your won. If you were retired and traveling all over that might be a different story too.

If it came down to it, I think I'd prefer a tiny house over a camper.

5. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I would totally love to live in a camper van! Actually, I want to have an RV or I would buy a bus and convert it into an RV. I just like the idea of travelling, I mean if I can travel and bring my house whenever I want, that would be really cool. I won't need to pack up stuff anymore, everything that I need would be right there. The best part is, since feasts are a thing here in our place, we can travel to a happy spot then leave after a week. I really do not like staying in one place for a long time.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I neglected to mention the economics. I think it would certainly be more cost effective to live in an RV. Taxes, heating and cooling expenses, and even paying the note (if any) would likely be far less than paying for and maintaining a home and utilities.

Even if traveling, you can rent spots that supply hook ups for power and water (and maybe sewer).

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    It seems ok for awhile to live this way,and maybe for many years when you are younger this could be fun-but it seems like constantly being in motion would take its toll as far as getting work done when you run a business. I think most RV parks do not provide much privacy or outdoor space and are just giant parking lots without much seperation between the spots. They do offer some beautiful places,but the surroundings do not seem that comfortable at times though-and having your neighbor at arms reach and barking dogs that scare your cat also can be a con. Some Rv parks offer bathhouses as well-but they are sometimes messy and have poor water pressure.

8. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    Since childhood I have always lived in a big and airy home. I don't think that I can adjust in a Campervan. I would find it very suffocating and restricting. I need space and will not be happy living in a small place.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It would certainly be an adjustment, but I am not one to be above anything and have had some pretty questionble living quarters in the past. I could do it, and especially if you show me how much I would save.