Couchsurfing

Discussion in Travel started by tulosai • Sep 28, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone here tried couchsurfing as part of a trip and how did you like it? I know that (at least in theory/ideally) saving money is not the only reason people couchsurf but I think it is a big part for a lot of people. What are the pros and cons?

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Saving money, and getting to experience a place firsthand would be my reasons to couchsurf. I like to experience the culture of places I visit through the locals living there. For this reason alone, I think couchsurfing is a great way to open yourself up to the sights, smells, and hospitality that comes your way. I know 'trust' goes a long way in making it an enjoyable experience. Cons: you have no knowledge (beforehand) of the kind of person/family you might end up staying with. I remember one such horror story that was in the news a couple of years ago of a woman who was raped by her 'host' when she was on a couchsurfing trip.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't direct experience with Couchsurfing, but I can share the experience of some French friends who visited me a few months earlier. They began in January of this year a trip across America, starting in Mexico and getting to Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world. Throughout their journey, they always had positive experiences with the people they met through Couchurfing. It's a kind of social network and contacts that gives real results. Of course, one must take into account various factors, because you need to choose wisely. I think it's an interesting service, especially for young people who enjoy traveling in a relaxed manner. I share the view of previous reviewer. :D

4. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I really like the idea of couch surfing but have never done it myself. It sounds great, but I would be a bit worried about the kind of house I ended up in! I'm sure most people are lovely, but you could end up somewhere really dirty or something! I think it would be an amazing way to experience a place though, like a real local rather than a tourist.

5. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I'd be more worried that I'd end up grave surfing.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of couchsurfing before. I must be getting old because I thought it was going to be something like watching travel shows on TV. I don't think I would try to do this type of couchsurfing. It sounds pretty risky to me.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Couchsurfing sounds good. Haven't heard of this before. I read a lot of travel literature, with great photographs. When locals write about their city or country it holds my interest. But what is this couchsurfing. I really need to surf the net to learn some more about this.