Computer Parts. Repair Or Replacement?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by NicholasMukuha • Aug 26, 2017.

1. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Computers have become a part of our everyday life. For some, they are close to us than even some of our friends. Therefore, it can be frustrating to a have a part malfunction. The good news is, some of the parts such as a keyboard and a mouse, can be easily replaced and life resumes to normal. Others can be repaired, which will consume some time, and I think it would not be healthy, especially for people working hard to beat deadlines . Which do you presume is more economical? Is it repair or replacement?

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends a lot on which part is damaged.

But in any case, most of the time it is better to replace the part that presented a problem. Repairing may be cheaper initially, but then it can become expensive (if the work is poorly done or if the part is of poor origin).

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our desktop's dvd drive is not working anymore. We have to replace it before there is a need like installing a software, worse is installing the operating system which can be done only via the dvd drive. I know that it can be repaired but I prefer to have it replaced. If I can find time soon then I will bring our desktop to the repair shop to replace the problematic dvd drive. It also needs to be checked for other parts inside like the sound card which cannot do a recording.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I almost get more nervous if I go out of my to fix something that I know might only be one part of a bigger problem. For this reason I would almost rather use the thing until it absolutely collapses and then just get a new one. If it is something external, though, like a monitor, than certainly replacement is probably a better choice.

5. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many computer spares on the market today. If the other parts are still okay. I would recommend you consider purchasing the spares. Buying a whole new computer set would be very expensive. But if most of the parts are affected, for example due to accidents, then definitely you have to consider purchasing the whole system.

6. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I think it all depends on what the problem is. The hard drive went out on my old computer two months ago. And I ordered a new hard drive on new egg and installed it and I fixed the computer myself. But if it would have been a motherboard I would have just scrapped the computer because it would have cost more to fix it then its worth.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think if the motherboard is still working fine then you can just simply replace the malfunctioning part, since buying a new CPU will definitely cost more. I would rather buy a new CPU when the motherboard isn't working anymore.

8. mbuzma

mbuzmaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on which part failed/malfunctioned. Most of the time, it is better to buy a replacement, as repaired hardware tends to fail again in a pretty short amount of time.
    It's hard to find a technician that is even willing to repair and most of them will simply advise you to get new hardware. In any case, it's cheaper in the end to buy new than to constantly have to repair whatever it is that failed.

9. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Mmm, yeah, it pretty much depends on what needs to be repaired. As a principle, if the warranty is over, I would not repair any piece unless it's a really cheap one, as I think buying a new computer has to be a better investing than repairing an old one.

10. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I usually go for the repair if it's desktop. If it is laptop and costing much for the repairs then I make sure to have some proper saving from the day I am buying the laptop. And the new laptop is usually managed through those savings. It is not easy for me most of the time. But it works out if I have saved hard enough. I don't think repair of the parts is always a good idea. It does not work out.

11. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Before repairing my computer system parts, the first thing I need to consider is the efficiency of the technician in doing a perfect neat and good job. If it's assertained that he is good with his work, then I consider the possibility of having that parts repaired and it being in good working condition, if that's not possible, I would simply go with replacing the parts that become faulty and have my system up and running just fine.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    This is too subjective for it depends on parts of the computer is malfunctioning or broken. Then the necessary repair or replacement is to be done.

The keyboard for example in which one of its keys is broken. Keyboard replacement is appropriate and practical way to do. The speaker doesn't sound well. Repair won't restore the sound quality. Therefore replacement is needed. Replacement of parts is better than repair though the cost is higher than a mere repair which won't last long.

13. fishbate

fishbateNew Member

Threads:
    For me they are both essential and has a different roleo_O. Repair for me is just for corrective action, i know a bit of electronics so i do repair on my own computer. When i'm repairing the goal is to make use of it until such time that replacement is available. Replacement for me is preventive, i always try to replace parts even its not yet broken. Although it sounds expensive, what i do is sell them. Because it's still working and not yet out of date the probability of selling it is high.:)