City Drinking Water Can Sometimes Be Unsafe

Discussion in Water started by Jason76 • Oct 31, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    City drinking water often has too much chlorine. In fact, it often has as much as a pool does. Note that chlorine is a poison. Therefore, is it safe to drink or to bathe in? What are some solutions to this problem?

2. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I've always heard of it not being safe to drink straight out of the pipe. A simple solution would be to boil the water you use for drinking purposes to purify it. I don't really do that as I don't mind. Also, I think the water tastes weird after I boil it. Not sure if I've gotten used to drinking impure water or something.

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In a few nations Iv'e visited, South Korea being one, the tap water was considered unsafe. As far as the US is concerned, I think the reason for bad tap water is different. It's mainly due to the fact there is just too much chlorine in it. However, maybe it has to be that way. In that case, is there some device to filter it out at home?

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even here in our country where the water supplier claim that the water in the tap is drinkable, people prefer bottled water to be assured of clean drinking water. I am witness to the murky water coming out of the tap that's why we buy purified water even if it's expensive.

5. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    You need to keep up with the news. Check this out.

Never trust anyone when it comes to you and your families health and safety. As you read on you will see that even Government officials are out to save a buck and not give a damn about your health.

Whatever measure you do to treat water, then take it a step further. Boiling, purifying, whatever the case may be, never trust anyone but your own hands to clean water.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    The only solution I've done for my home is to buy a water filter or buy large amounts of water from the local refill machine. Our water doesn't only have a lot of chlorine but it can sometimes taste like rust. We rarely drink tap water because of that.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the jurisdiction. Here in East Africa, the water is also heavily chlorinated but people choose to ignore it assuming pathogens to be more lethal. Chlorine affects the beneficial microorganisms in the gut by depleting them and a regular intake of yoghurt or sour milk which contain probiotics is necessary.

8. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that water from civic water supply contains too much chlorine. Chlorine purifies water, however, too much chlorine has detrimental effects on your body. We don't use water from civic water supply, thus we are safe from health hazards of chlorine excess city drinking water.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    We don't trust out town's water district to deliver safe drinking water. At only half a dollar per 5 gallons of water, most people in the urban and suburban areas would just prefer to pay a little bit more for purified water rather than risk their health with tap water. We also use this water to brush our teeth. The water purifying business has grown because of this. Some water business may not be as ethical as the others so we only buy ours from a trusted franchise. Delivery is usually free for at least two 5-gallon container.

10. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    It is bad if there is too much of chlorine in that but you can boil it and drink the water as it is the only way if you have only that chlorine water for your drinking. Otherwise, use it for other general purposes and buy purified drinking water. Before we had RO in our home we used to buy can water and drink it.

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    When I was a child we didn't have water from the town coming in. In that case, we had a well, however, the water had too many minerals in it and a bad smell. Does anyone have well water? Do you think it's better than the local supply? Of course, I would trust well water in certain areas. Obviously, it cannot all be bad, as people in the past always used wells.

12. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well i feel that it depends on the country as well as the city's infrastructure, a lot of people are confused and misinformed in regards to whether drinking water in their area is safe or not.

13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    In our town, you cannot drink city drinking water without doing any treatment (using chlorine), boiling or filtering the water. The city water is not safe to drink. You will have to boil, filter or do treatment. The cheapest way to make water safe to drink is by filtering. Once you install the filter, you can use it for years.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have considered myself lucky for some time now because I am pretty sure that the water is pretty clean compared to other cities. I have just heard some bad stories and things here are pretty smooth...fingers crossed.

15. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The tap water in my country is deemed to be of a very good quality by reports from international organizations that does monitoring of these issues. I am aware that in any situation there could be mishaps but I doubt if whether we may have been exposed to elevated chlorine basis with any regularity.

16. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Tap water in my area tasted like chlorine, That is why I use Brita filters because it is my only way to save money and have clean drinking water. I don't like the taste of chemicals on my drinking water.