Christmas Feel Is In The Air. Do You Make Your Own Christmastree?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by iamawriter • Nov 17, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    xmaas1998.

I have a history of the various approaches to putting up our Christmas Tree. From a fresh one in the garden to the one created using bamboos. This was our best Christmas Tree. The finished product looked exotic as you will see in the image. We later went in for artificial trees and got the decorations from different sources starting from Singapore, US and China.
    What's your story?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One year a very long time ago, my Aunt Florence gave us a green yarn Christmas tree that's a foot tall and 6" wide with lights built into it. The tree base is 2 very hard cardboard cones. The lights are so old it doesn't have the polarization type of plug. From then on we have this tiny little wool tree with lights that my Aunt made for us dug out of our closet for Christmas.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is actually the disappointing part of the holidays for me because we always used to get a live tree growing up, but I do not do that anymore. No space, too expensive and not even knowing where to go means that we just do the fake tree now.

4. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe It is more the memories that kindle up when you use this tree year after year than how great that tree looks. She must have specially created it for you. I appreciate your love for your Aunt which is not seen these days.

@larryl332@larryl332 Fake or real it is the participation of family that gets one joy. The entire activity is so enjoyable starting from buying docorations for the tree and everyone joining in to put up the tree not to miss out the gifts that lay at the bottom of the tree waiting to be opened.

#4Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  5. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    We also make our own Christmas tree. We put together some branches from Cyprus trees and decorate them with Christmas decorations. It eventually becomes a real Christmas tree when switched on with the many lighting decorations. We always save a lot when we do this.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to buy real Christmas tree. We love it because of the scent of the pine that gives our living room a mountain atmosphere. But it is now prohibited to cut down pine trees so we bought a plastic tree that we adorn with new trimmings every year. At least our tree looks different than last year.

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't buy Pine trees, I just use the old plastic one I have. I just hide it in the attic whenever Christmas is over. I think there is no more need for me to buy new decorations. I just use what I have instead of buying new ones.

8. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Me and my family love the Christmas holidays, we are always buying the Christmas tree but we are doing handmade decorations from paper, plastic or some other materials....

9. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    When I was young, my family used to make our own christmas tree. That was my favorite part every Christmas, to make and decorate our own christmas tree. But I guess some things do really change, we now only buy plastic christmas trees every Christmas.

10. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @mildredtabitha@mildredtabitha Doing up a Christmas Tree is more than just putting it up. It is the opportunity one gets to get together to put it up. Most of the year everyone is busy doing their own thing. Everyone must take time for this activity and enjoy the experience.

@Alexandoy@Alexandoy Adding something new each year by way of decorations breaks the monotony. In a way I am happy that cutting down trees is banned in your country. We do not have live Chrstmas trees in our country of the size that one sees in your country.

#10Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  11. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I don't celebrate Christmas as I am not Christian but I have several friends who are. A few of my friends have potted live Christmas trees in their homes and it is these ones they decorate during Christmas. As they are slow growing, they are ideal to be kept inside the house and also easy to maintain. I think its a clever idea than buying a new tree every year.

12. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    When I was young we had a live Christmas tree, which we used to decorate. After it died out, we were not able to get any other of the same time. Now we are using artificial tree and we decorate it with Christmas ornaments. They too look beautiful, but cannot compare with the live one.

13. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would be very good at making my own tree. I have used the same one for around 10 years (artificial) and although it was pretty it was looking a bit worse for wear. I was about to buy a new one when my sister said she was replacing hers so I could have the old one. It is artificial but looks just like a real one and is quite tall so I've basically got one for free :)

14. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I have never made my own Christmas tree and I actually don't know if there is anyone around me that does. My environment is not suitable or built for such. And in my opinion, a tree should not be cut down just to make a tree that will be discarded in days after the event.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We used to always get a live Christmas tree, and I think that part of the enjoyment is the wonderful fragrance of the pine or fir tree that permeates the house. You can ,of course , purchase a pine-scented spray; but nothing is quite like the actual scent of a live tree.
    Now, it is just my husband and myself, and we do not celebrate Christmas or put up any kind of a Christmas tree, although i still love to look at one that other people have put up, and love all of the lights and Christmas decorations that you see at Christmas.
    We have one of those little fiber-optic Christmas trees, and it has beautiful twinkly lights and we do set that out in the front room for the Christmas season.
    My favorite tree would be the Noble Fir, and I don’t think that they even have those down here in Alabama . We had those, and several other kinds of fir trees, when I lived in the northern part of the country, and the noble fir is a high mountain tree.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    That Christmas tree is really nice! I guess it's really fun to make different types of Christmas tree.

We don't celebrate Christmas, and I never had a real Christmas tree. Since I became a mom, though we still don't really celebrate Christmas, I like to let my children experience the Christmas hence I hand made some small Christmas trees and ornaments too. I have sewed a few with felt in the past few years. I am still not sure what I am going to make this year.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like the artificial Christmas trees because you have the tree next year-instead of buying a tree every year,so its quite economical. Also a real tree can be a fire danger if it dries out-it can go up in flames, so make sure you add water to the tree stand daily. I find dealing with a artificial tree is cleaner and you do not have to vacuum the needles up also, which is great. I also like the small table top artificial Christmas trees as well, because they don't take up to much space either, if you are a minimalist or do not have much space at your place.

#17Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  18. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    @Beast_Titan@Beast_Titan It what goes up there by way of effort matters. Each year

It is how you decorate your tree that matter specially when the whole family rallies round discussing what to put where with carols in the background. That is what Christmas is all about.

@nangk08@nangk08 We had one potted years ago but one fine day the lights had a fuse and it caught fire. Then on we do not risk it any more. That tree is now planted in the garden and has reached a great height.

@anupamas2@anupamas2 The one problem with live Christmas tree is that it has the tendency to reach heights when it becomes a problem to decorate it. Some bring home cut trees which I am not so in favour. I am told in some countries cutting down trees is banned.

#18Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2017
  19. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Oh My! That is so terrifying, I am glad that the tree was not harmed and it is growing nicely in your garden now. Yes, with lights on the tree, that can indeed be risky, so having a fake tree is a feasible option. I think now you get so many lovely looking ones which can be folded down and stored away later and keep looking fresh for years together.

20. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    I only tried decorating one way back in school, but not in our home. But maybe this time it'll be different. I will not spend the holidays at work. This time might be a real one.