Checking Quantity Vs Price

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Alexandoy • Apr 24, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where before I always believed that buying the large size could save me money, now I am careful in checking the volume versus the price. For instance, the pasta that weighs 1 kilo has a price of 88 pesos and the 400 grams costs 52 pesos. Obviously, the larger pack is discounted. But there was a time (another brand of pasta) that the 1 kilo was 90 and the 450-gram pack costs 35. Doing a mental computation, the smaller pack costs less than buying the large pack of equal volume. That’s also the case sometimes with cooking oil. That’s why we always check the volume vis-à-vis the price in comparing the large pack with the small pack.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I do the same all the time @Alexandoy@Alexandoy. You are right, you need to be careful with every product. Different products have different size and prices.

It is good to compare and compute prices before buying. Volume or weight whichever is applicable should be checked against price tag and those that offer maximum benefit should be bought.

3. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I do it, too, @Alexandoy@Alexandoy and @Decentlady@Decentlady . Buying in large volume doesn't always amount to saving money. I go to the length of actually using my cellphone calculator to check which package costs less per kilogram or pound and sometimes, I may have to do some conversions as some items come in different units of measure. I've noticed this trend in soy sauce, fish sauce, vinegar, pasta, ketchup, and cooking. In some cases, it's obvious that the manufacturer is charging consumers for the container, bottle, or whatever special packaging they're using and the items get more expensive as they come in bigger packaging. If I don't need the special container, I just opt for the smaller packaging with lower cost per unit of measure.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    That's what I have been doing lately too, because I have been buying corned beef and other canned goods lately. I tend to check out the grams and price first before I buy them so that I can save some money. Before, I'm not mindful of such things, I just always assumed that the bigger container is always the cheaper option, but I was wrong.

5. trea

treaNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's true especially for those refill packs. As Jamille mentioned, it seems like container-types are more expensive than the refill packs. It's very tempting to buy the cheaper ones but I usually buy the ones in containers because I consider where they might go once I discard them. I usually ask myself something like, "Is it possible to recycle them or am I contributing to more waste?" I might not be able to save money, but I feel at ease knowing that I'm able to reduce the waste I throw.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    By experience, yes. The price doesn't necessary tell the volume of a commodities purchase. There are items that cost high but the quantities are less, and there are goods that cost lest but they have greater quantities.

Therefore in doing some shopping, it is advisable to compare prices with the quantity and the same also the quantity with the prices, vice versa. A good shopper would be doing this, but an impulsive buyer would just do their shopping spree without realizing that they are at a loss.

7. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you have to be really careful. I actually got duped a time or two before I realized that the larger quantity was really priced higher by volume on certain items. Maybe it's not always that way, or one size goes on sale when the other is not, or something like that. I don't know. Still, I always watch now after having made such purchases and realizing that it wasn't actually a better deal.

We've come to expect the larger package to be the better value, but nope, it is not always the case. That's why it's good to know prices inside and out. You can easily see if it's really bargain or not.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    This is a type of association that I do almost involuntarily. I always compare the quantity of the product with the amount being charged in relation to it. I think the quality can not be left out of the game, even because it's one of the most important aspects of all the sustainability.