Cheaper by train?

Discussion in Travel started by Strykstar • Apr 9, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the same option by train that you do by airplane, which option do you take?
    Especially being in Europe, it's often a valid choice to use a train when you travel between countries, it takes slightly longer but it's much cheaper than flying, plus airports nowadays are a big hassle.

Have you ever preferred taking a train over a plane?

2. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    To be honest, unless you have a EuroRail pass, which is quite pricey but pays for itself if you travel A LOT, it's kind of a misconception that the trains are cheaper. Perhaps in the days before the euro this might have been true, but nowadays railway is very expensive, particularly in western European countries like France and Germany. If you use discount airlines like RyanAir, Air Berlin, etc. you're likely to find much cheaper flights, though transportation from the airports these cheap airlines fly into can be a bit of a hassle (they almost never use the biggest airports).

3. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a good idea.

I have never thought of using a train when traveling. Infact. I have never even seen a train station. I live in the south. Do they even have train stations down here? i do a lot of traveling, and i am always looking for cheaper alternatives.

It trains are cheaper than Planes, and buses. I will surely give it a try. How much does a train ride usually cost?

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends on where you're traveling and how convenient it is.

For example, where I normally need to fly to and from isn't connected by train directly. So while I could use train for part of it, the rest of the way would need to be split among cabs, rental cars, or potentially greyhound buses for part of it. In the end, the cost would be very similar to flying, but the time it would take is A LOT longer because of all the transfers. It's just not worth it.

On the other hand, if the locations aren't that far apart and are on the same line, then it makes a lot of sense. I could take a train to Philadephia to New York for the fraction of the cost of flying between those two locations.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd love to travel on trains, but here in Australia the distances are vast and it takes a long time to get to your destination. Sometimes weeks. Most people in this country catch a plane as you would catch a bus, only an airbus. It is a lot cheaper than travelling on trains or buses and gets you where you want or need to be in no time at all. Just recently I was contemplating a 2300km train trip from Brisbane to the far north of the continent, but the airplane ticket, which was nearly $350 cheaper than the train fare, won in the end.

6. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, depending on the distance, I would consider this. I have compared flights v bus rides v train rides. In most cases, I found a bus to make the most sense due to the low cost and a little less time. When I looked at a train ride, it was going to add significant amount of time (hours) due to how often it ran to certain locations and the amount of stops. But, it's worth investigating!

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I have a fear of airplanes so I guess that leaves me to go by train. I've never been on a train so that would even help my "what if" wanders. I like to try out new things so this would be one.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used all three ways to travel, and the choice really depends on what the priority is for the trip.
    Air travel will usually get your there a lot faster, if you are going very far; so when just being where you are going is important, then flying is the first choice.
    If time is not the most important issue, but money is; then usually going by bus will be the cheapest. Also, there are places with bus stations that don't have an airport; so location might be an important consideration in this case.
    However, if you just want to travel, and enjoy the scenery on the trip, and be comfortable; then a train is a great way to go. Unless you find a special deal, it will usually cost more than the bus, but less than the plane ticket. The downside, is that there are not always train stations close by, so you might have to travel on the bus to get to where there is a train station.
    Another important factor is your luggage. On a plane, luggage may cost you extra; but you check it in and don't worry about it until you get to your destination. If you are on a train or bus, and you have to change to a different one; then you have to carry your luggage to the next train or bus yourself. Or, you can pay a porter to load and carry it for you.
    Any kind of travel can be a lot of fun, and if i were going to just travel to be traveling; I would definitely take the train whenever possible.

9. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I will note that if comparing trains or buses, make sure to check multiple companies. I always assumed MegaBus was the cheapest, for example. I took a trip to New York and saved about $25 using Greyhound, and it only added 20 minutes or so to my trip.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    The best way is like you say, investigating your different alternatives beforehand and then making a decision, but I've never found bus routes faster, sure they are cheaper but at least here they make a lot more stops.
    But it depends on the situation and the trip of course.

11. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the train trips in Canada are either scenic tourist trains or long cross country trips. The tourist trains are luxury trips that are all inclusive for 3 - 4 days. They cost the same as a hotel plus a flight so they are no bargain. To travel across the country by train is cheaper for the trip but the additional time makes it more expensive in the end. You still need meals and accommodation. Your 6 hour flight may cost more but you are there in six hours without a need for a room or a sleeping cabin on the train.

The train is an interesting way to travel and a better way to see where you are going but is it not the cheaper alternative.

12. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    If i am decision maker then my vote goes to train because train travel is much comfortable and enjoyable for all the tourist and facilities are also good..

13. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I live in the UK and there has just been a 165% hike in rail fares, so travelling anywhere by train is getting ridiculously expensive at the moment. In the UK it is a bit different to Ameirca because it only takes 4 hours to drive from one side of the country to the other, so driving is usually the easiest way to travel. We did travel to London for the Olympics in 2012 and took the train there. It was much cheaper than flying. We live in the north of England and London is the south so flying was a viable option but just too expensive then. Now, it might be the other way around.