Cheap Ways To Decorate Your House?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jul 18, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Decorating a house can be costly especially if you hire some professional to do the job. It's better however to at all times attempt to do most of the decorating yourself.

Are there tips you can share that will help someone decorate their homes without having to spend much?

I'll get the ball rolling:

Find inexpensive art work and hang it on walls in the rooms. If you don't want to spend money on pictures you can find some good pictures on the net, enlarge then frame them if you like then hang them on your walls.

Share more cheap decoration tips!

2. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I tend to only decorate my house during the changing of the seasons or the holidays I celebrate. I am always cheap when it comes to decorating, but it's mostly due to the fact that the way I do it is cheap itself.

For example, for the autumn season, I find beautiful leaves outside to collect as they fall from the trees. I string them together with some cheap twine or string and hang them around mirrors in the house. I grab acorns, pine cones, and other assortments and glue them together to make decorative table top pieces. The dollar store sells cute Halloween decorations, so I might pick up a couple of items (all for a dollar!). I keep my decorations throughout the years, so I save even more money be reusing them as much as possible.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I decorate my house based on seasons/holidays. However, I find that it is easy and cheap to do. But the same principles go for all decorating I suppose. Look for coupons and sales for stuff like paint or furniture. For knick knacks, pillows, vases, center pieces, make your own. I have a wine bottle (painted) vase for every holiday. I have a beautiful fall centerpiece made of brandy glasses and candles for fall. I have a cinnamon smelling broom with gourdes and ribbons on it for Thanksgiving, a wreath for Christmas. It only takes a few bucks to make most of these saving me $100's. Don't be afraid to make your own stuff, if you don't know how, look it up on the internet I'm sure someone somewhere has done it at least once.

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really buy things to decorate my house as I can't afford to do so and I don't really have the interest to do so. I like to stick my children's artwork on the wall, or just any crafts we make, I think these serve as nice decorations at home and they are really unique too. Though it might seem messy to others, we really enjoy them as it's our home and it's filled with children's fun.

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    To decorate the house, I would suggest only try doing it annually or every few months or so. I would simply rearrange some furniture if possible, try to sell some old ones that may be worn out or dated. I would also try to paint the walls a bit and maybe add a few candles or cheap plants to show on display.

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what, I just went to Walmart today and they have decorations, ornaments, so many different kinds starting from .98! It's so much, all different colors and styles to choose from and no one is going to look for the price tag so Walmart is one place you can choose from for decorating your home. There are thrift stores too that is second hand and cheap. One of my neighbors who has grandchildren, just puts Christmas wrapping paper on her door as decor for her home, but it looks cheery and accomplished, like a wall paper look. I have over 20 yr. old decorations. If you find things you like while shopping, you can wait for the day after sale, to buy which is usually 50-70% off day after the holiday, so you can store them until the next year holiday season. If you know how to sew you can sew a wreath with scrap material. My wreath is small and made out of scrap material. I don't buy a tree for my Aunt gave us a crochet yarn tree with lights that blink which I put in my living room every year for Christmas. All of my decorations mean something special though they are very old...memories of Christmas past with people now gone.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You can get really clever in your decorating ideas and then put them to work for a cheap price as well. A way of doing this is to look around at thrift stores for furniture and other items, you could turn into some great upcycled furniture. Try to find some solid wood kind of furniture-and sanding it down and then painting it-because thrift store shopping is the cheapest way to adjust your home year-round, like decorating for the holidays and other seasons. Look for some old paintings at thrift stores also,and they could even be worth some money as well.

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    One easy way that I have always done throughout the years is to try and acquire some art wherever you can. It is usually cheap and there a lot of options and ways to go.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    One of the ways to cut costs on home decoration is reuse the decoration items. For instance, if you had saved your Christmas decoration from last year, you can reuse it this year. You can also check online find artwork that is free, make a print and hang on your walls.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You can easily decorate your house using natural materials. If you look around in your environment, you are likely to find beautifully or artistically shared leaves from different trees as well as cones. Simply dry there in the shade and when they turn brown in colour, give them a thin coat of clear varnish and are ready to hang on the walls.

11. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Decorating the house may be really expensive or really cheap it just depends on what you want. Some good ways of cheap decoration are the raw wood that you can use to create a lot of small stuff for decoration a framed picture, frame painting, or even a frame bed.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Wallpapers on the wall is the 1st thing that came to mind. Then potted plants on the garden. Also, depending on the person viewing, picture frames are the best cheap way to decorate a home.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our house is simple as dictated by our simple taste. The only decoration I can see are the calendar, 2 frames of painting, and the live plants. We have the welcome plants that are good for indoor decoration. It is sturdy and can stay indoor for more than a week without wilting. We have several pots of welcome plant in the backyard that we alternate with the pots that are in the living room and terrace. The plant is also a good conversational piece.

14. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like @Alexandoy@Alexandoy , we do not do much decorating at our house either. The main difference would be house plants. In the summer, we can put most of the plants outside where they get more sunshine; but once it starts getting cold here, and close to freezing weather, we have to bring them all back inside.
    Right now, our house is full of plants, in every window where they can get sunshine, We enjoy looking at the houseplants, and it brings a little bit of summer inside for the cold dark winter.
    Other than that, we seldom do any decorating, except maybe a few pretty lights outside during the Christmas season.