Chatabout.com Is A Scam!

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Destiny • Apr 11, 2016.

1. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    A few months ago I joined a site called ChatAbout.com

It's supposed to pay you to post, comment, answer questions and do "bonus offers." You get 1 or 2 points for doing various things and once you reach 1,000 points you cash out for $5 to Paypal. Yeah... TOTAL SCAM!

About a week ago I finally earned enough to cash out my points for a whole $5. It said it'd take 48 hours to process, I waited about 3 days and didn't receive anything... so, I went to log-in. The site didn't recognize my e-mail address, I messages admin and still haven't received a reply from them. But, yet... somehow I'm still on their email list because I keep receiving promotional emails from them even though my email "isn't recognized in their system."

Don't use this site! They won't pay you! I did some Googling and apparently I'm not the only person this has happened too.

2. Dilof

DilofMember

Threads:
    Will definitely avoid this site from now on. Thanks for the information, glad that you informed us all about it.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have not used the site in a long time since they upped the cash out threshold from 500 points to 1000 points. It is too hard to earn points on that site and I never even got the Chatabout surveys after a while. They used to pay very promptly, but I have not cashed out in about a year so I am not sure how fast it is now.

4. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I always read reviews on sites before I join them... especially survey sites and the such. When I joined I only mostly good things but all the recent reviews read like mine. I wonder if someone else bought the site or something.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    That's not good.
    I just signed up and I am at about 600 points.
    It takes SO MUCH FREAKING WORK to earn points, even if it is legit I don't want to keep using it.
    But I have already sunk time/effort in and I just want to cash out my first $5.
    I have read other places that people get their money...
    I hope it's just a glitch and you end up getting your five bucks.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really? Sorry to hear that you got scammed. I have heard of that site for quite a long time now and I never really got interested to join there since it seems to take too much work to earn $5. Now I know that, I have made the right decision to not join there.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go turned off to that site early on because I signed up and then I read somewhere you got 500 free points by signing up, and I never got them. I started off behind the 8ball from the beginning. I was resentful because I never got the sign up bonus...so after making a few posts I quit. I don't like that site, or another one that used to be around, SIdetick. I think they are both bad news.

8. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also had heard good things about chatabout, so signed up and went about spending time there, providing content. They have had a few promotions for higher points, but I never received credit for them, and when the threshold was doubled, I lost interest in the site. I still have an account there, because I had hoped the site was just going through a rough transition and could go back to being the good site I'd heard about, but apparently that's not the case.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I think that site is eventually going to go down because it takes forever to earn a payout and some of the things you do on there you never receive the credit for. I worked hard to earn points and then I was about 100 points from a payout and then they doubled it to 1000 points. I gave up at that point and have never missed it.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OMG it's crazy to hear all these horrible things about ChatAbout, because it's one of my favourite sites. Granted, I'm not that surprised because I have a few other online friends who have also gone through the same sort of things with ChatAbout! I really don't understand why it happens or how they select who to block out. In as much as I like the site and I've been there for over a year, it's hard to ignore the fact that so many people have the same kind of complaint about it. Most people have said they've joined, done the work and the minute they go to cash out they've found themselves inexplicably frozen out! I'm really sorry to hear about this.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard complaints about Chatabout as well. Some of them have been resolved though.

Apparently, when they check your stuff before they pay you, they can ban you if you've broken any rules (even without realizing it). They may not even explain it to you. It's very hard to get a response from them when you contact them.

Another issue seems to be trying to sign in through Facebook. Someone on another site thought they got banned when they couldn't get in that way. Eventually, they were able to login in without Facebook, so you might try that. Good luck.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    One week for 5$. Yeah, great deal indeed;). Of course is a scam! When those sites have an earning potential so small that only is noticeable with referrals, it triggers the scam alarm so hard that I have to force an immediate shutdown and add it to my banned list.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, another person who has been blocked when they want to cash out? I was tempted to try this app of the day and see if that was a good way to build up points. I think I an on about 650, but those captchas each time was so time consuming for a point.

I do hope they pay the OP as her account seems to be still valid, I know their log in system is very antiquated and I had trouble logging in. I just requested a new password and used the same one.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband is with ChatAbout although he was not that active anymore. He had earned his first $5 from ChatAbout that's why he always defends the site when there is a problem. Maybe you can check your password to the site because the fact that you receive an email from ChatAbout that means you are still there. I really think that it is the password. And if you care, why not ask for a new password?

The latest scam that I've heard is BlogJob which promised to pay when you hit $25 (5,000 points). The scheme is for members to post articles which is paid 25 cents and also earns for the likes and comments it gets. Now Blogjob has suspended payments.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting about it! I had heard from other bloggers that ChatAbout was hiring and I was thinking about writing on there, but now I will stay away! It sounds like a lot of work for little payout. I'd rather just pick up pennies from the street floors at that rate.

16. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't call it a scam even though I am new member there. The owner has paid out to those who have enough points, but the points system is suspended for the time being due to site issues. Right now there are lots of spam attacks from Russia and Poland and my own sites have been attacked. Payments haven't been suspended, but the points system has.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, pardon me for calling Blogjob a scam site. Mea culpa, I was wrong in using that term. What I meant was it didn't pay the redemptions due to, as you said, site issued. I am sorry but I really did not mean to call it scam but instead site with payment issues. I hope that gets the message cleared, I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. Sorry again.

18. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I'm not anywhere near cashing out, the owner has paid those who have put in a request and reputations do mean a lot, especially on the internet. He did stop the transfer of points, so that did prevent people close to cashing out, to cash out. However, I don't see it as a bad thing as it got nasty with some people begging for points saying their kids need feeding or to pay their tuition for school, so I don't mind that being stopped. I think that's what you may have referred to. People did transfer points to help others to cash out, but he reversed those transfers and disabled that function too, so some who thought they could cash out couldn't, but they were donated points and not earned points.

19. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd like to add to what Theo said; BlogJob's definitely NOT a scam. Once the rewards program was suspended, it meant people couldn't continue earning through activities on the site until further notice. The owner was very transparent and made it known that the priority was to sort out the mess that had been created by hackers before restoring the site to full service. Meantime, I was one of the people who were eligible for a cash out, and even amidst all this, I was promptly paid in full. As far as I know, there are no outstanding payments due, everyone who was owed money was paid in full.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just in case anybody is thinking about joining GoSignUps, I have heard from other online earners that the site appears to be waning in terms of its reliance, and trustworthy-ness. I used to work with them and they would pay every Monday automatically. They apparently have not been doing that, so be wary of them perhaps turning scam.