Charitable Causes That Do Not Want Money?

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by JoanMcWench • Dec 3, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have been looking into a few charitable causes that I can get my godchildren involved in and I was hoping to find more options that were not solely money. Thus far I have:

BOINC: Use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, Linux, or Android) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research.

Free Rice: Freerice is a free online game and learning tool, that allows players to raise rice to fight world hunger while learning through educational, multiple-choice games. For every question the user answers correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated to the World Food Program.

KIVA: Though you do have to make the initial investment the return rate is rather high. Change a life for $25. Every day, Kiva connects thousands of people to borrowers and partner institutions around the world, working together to create opportunity and alleviate poverty.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    Those are great charities. I think its great when you can do things that may not involve donating money.

3. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    It's a great cause that anyone can help. I personally am running one of the mentioned programs, BOINC, and I really hope it works.
    Anyways, how do the rice thing works? Who donates the rice? And why don't they just donate it all, since it's their cause, rather than waiting for people to 'earn' the rice.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    All the information should be on freerice.com. I would think they donate in increments to include people in the donation process. Making them feel more involved in the process generally and perhaps, in turn, encourage them to become more active in charitable causes all around. I'm quite sure there is more technical information provided by the site itself.

5. AskJeeves

AskJeevesMember

Threads:
    When I saw the thread title, I was going to suggest BOINC, but it seems that you already posted about it. I figure that it is a great way to actually make a change in the world and not have to worry about not being able to pay it. I tried running BOINC on my computer, but it made my computer really warm (I have a windows and don't want to make it slow down). I have been, however, running the app on my phone and it has been running with almost no change in battery life. Truly a great method for making a difference in the world.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's also The Hunger Site, The Rainforest Site and all the other sites in the Greater Good Network. All you have to do is click to give for free and one of the sites sponsors makes a donation.
    So if you click the free donation button, a big company will make a donation because they are sponsoring the site. You don't have to do anything except remember to stop by and click daily.

7. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    You should really look into things that are right there in your community. I know that I've taught my children to be charitable by encouraging them to pick out something at the grocery store to donate to the food pantry and we just leave the food in their barrel when we are leaving the store. I also have the kids donate toys that they no longer play with to charity. I always make sure that they know that there are other children that aren't as lucky as they are.

8. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    Donating time at a local food bank or shelter is a really good one I think. I've helped pass out food, I've helped put food in plates, I've helped greet people as they came in the door, and I've helped just by sitting down with people while they were eating and getting into conversations with them. However you think you can help.