Cat Chewing on Wires- Any Products?

Discussion in Pets started by Rhoda D'ettore • Oct 31, 2014.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    I have an awesome cat who never claws or bites. He is friendly and never tries to run away. The problem? He chews every freaking wire in The House. I have used various sprays, tried taping the wires to the walls to keep them from dangling, I have taped bundles together. Still he chews.

Do you know of any products that would stop him? I tried a "bitter Apple" type of spray, and he likes it. I don't know how, because I accidentally tasted it and it stayed in my mouth for days! It was horrible. I even tried double sided tape and he thought it was funny to get his paw stuck on it.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cat's chewing on wires would indicate that the cat is bored or trying to hone its hunting skills. Get lots of toys for cats and maybe this will help a little.

Try using products such as chewsafe to cover the wires.

You can find it on Amazon.

In addition to that, treat your cat as you would a curious kid. If you had a toddler in the house who is yet to know the dangers of electricity how would you stop him/her from playing around with the wires?

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your cat sounds adorable. Electronics stores sell plastic tubes that are made to organize loose electric cords by slipping over them to bundle the cords together. I wonder if one of those would curb your cat's chewing.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How old is your cat.. too old to be teething still? Good ideas above, but I'm also wondering how you feed him. Do you feed him meals or leave his food out all day? I have five cats so it's hard for me to cater to each one when it comes to food, but the grazers.. the ones who need their food out all day, tend to start chewing on weird things when they want to be eating. If we put enough out for everyone, the others would finish it all off on them before they could come back for seconds, so we feed them meals instead of leaving it out. Cats need to chew.. their ancestors don't have set meals out in the wild and they need to exercise those teeth and jaws. If it's not hunger, I'd find other things for it to chew on. Maybe they make itty bitty rawhide or something lol. I know there was hunks of wood you could buy for cats.. but they douse it in catnip... so not sure how much they would enjoy it once that wore off.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is best to try and buy lots of toys. I think it is great to make sure that they get used with toys and stop chewing on the wires. I think toys of certain kinds to help them to avoid chewing on wires.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    You can try lemon juice concentrate or a really hot pepper cut in half and rubbed on the wires. Also, you could look up "bunny proofing" for some suggestions. House rabbits really can destroy wires if given the tiniest chance so their owners work really hard on protecting the wires.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd really hate, but because I'm patient, I'd rather have a trainer for my cat not bite and ruin house stuff. Although it's gonna cost a lot, it's gonna be worth it, I think.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Won't help. My cat has plenty of toys and plays whenever she wants to, but she licks (usually only licks, she used to bite them when she was little, but not anymore) the cables whenever she sees them anyway.