Can You Recommend A Reasonable Hotel Chain?

Discussion in Travel started by Zyni • Apr 6, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you travel much, do you have a favorite hotel chain? I'd like to hear about your experiences with various ones, of course those that have affordable rates or nice discounts would be preferable.

I don't need anything super fancy. As long as it's a good deal and nice and clean (and I can find a branch of it in a safe area), I'll be happy.

I would really appreciate your insight in this matter. I've been looking around at mid-range options. I've read many reviews, but I'd also like to hear from members here.

What's your best recommendation for a reasonably priced, decent hotel? Of course, if you know other ways to save money on accommodations, I'd love to hear those as well.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    What state are you trying to stay in? I like looking at pictures of hotels on Yelp. Travelodge is pretty clean and neat where I live, but that is because it is brand new.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite is Hampton Inns because they always include a free hot buffet breakfast, free wi-fi, and all day coffee and hot water, plus afternoon cookies. I am a Hilton members and find the value is so much better, and some rooms have a microwave so it can be very economical to stay there.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks. I'm going to Illinois. I'll check Travelodge out, next time I'm looking through booking sites.

I've stayed at a Hampton Inn before. It was a nice, clean place, and they did offer a few more amenities than some similar brands. It seems that in the area I'm visiting, they are quite a bit pricier than others. I'll have to keep trying to find some discounts.

Thank you both for the recommendations. I have quite a bit a time yet, but from the looks of things, it's a good thing I'm starting my planning early. Hopefully, I can earn some rewards or discounts to help alleviate the costs in that time.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try Choice hotels too as they have good rates, plus a good free nights reward system, where you stay twice and get a night free. I have used Travelodge, but they vary from location and when you tot up the cost of breakfast, coffee, wi-fi, and having a microwave sometimes it's worth a little extra.

I actually used to mystery shop Holiday Inn hotels, but they can also vary. The Express ones are much cheaper and the standard high, but they are at the top end of mid-range hotels.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, thanks for that. I don't think I've stayed in any of the Choice hotels. Although, I'm not sure which names are under that brand. I'll have a look.

Hmmm, I'd love to mystery shop some hotels. How did you manage to get that gig? I've found too many mystery shopping deals to be scams.

I worked at a Holiday Inn many years ago. Probably even before "Express" was a thing. They do tend to be a bit pricey, but yeah, they are usually decent. Maybe the Express version will be worth a look.

Thanks again for the help.

7. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a favourite hotel chain, but that changed when they were making so much money from the government by homing asylum seekers that they stopped selling rooms to the public.

Now I prefer to use Trivago to find cheap rooms when I travel. :)

8. albreeden

albreedenMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I would say try looking on hostelworld.com - you can find hostels and cheaper hotel options all over the world. The best part? They're user rated with categories in cleanliness, friendliness, and even security and location. Hostels aren't your thing? Look into airBnB, I've found a lot of great deals on there. I was also able to meet the coolest people and stay in some pretty one-of-a-kind retreats.

9. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I would say try The Talbott Hotel which is an amazing destination among nature lovers. I had good time there during my tour and pricing was also reasonable.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Choice have a quite a few brands under their name such as Comfort Inn, quality, and Econo Lodge. Once you sign up for the card you automatically get some discounts.

I worked through another company for the mystery shops, and it was genuine. It's basically about finding the company that the hotel has a contract with, but it's not easy. You can only go on specific days, must have dinner and breakfast, plus evaluate the booking and checkout. You can't take anyone with you either usually.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends on your budget. If you have a reasonably good budget, Hilton and Marriott are really good. If you have a tight budget, you could consider Ibis or Mercure. Even hostels! There are really nice hostels depending on the place, specially in Europe. I have heard of hostels in castles and even and anchored ship, which is not something you can find for a regular hotel. It might be worth it depending on your age, who you are traveling with and what you're looking for in a trip.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love all these ideas. I would be more open to some of these, if it were just me or my husband and I. This is going to be a family trip that includes four generations. All ages, including babies, so I'm probably going to stick with a hotel this time around. I will definitely keep these other ideas in mind for get-aways with my hubby though.

Some of them sound fantastic. I'd stay in a castle. :)

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your help and advice.

13. sidjohn

sidjohnMember

Threads:
    Buddy, Its depend on you where you want to go and what kind of food love to try. If you are looking for some options in New York then I think you should try Holiday Inn hotels in New York and will not be disappointed.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will always stay in a Travelodge if I have the chance, because they're cheap, and you know exactly what you're going to get. Okay, so it might not be the most exciting place you'll have ever stayed, but the point is that you know you're getting a bed and somewhere to take a bath, and that it will be nice and clean for you when you get there. That is by far the most important thing, and that is the main reason that I will always choose to stick to that chain.

15. TungstenCube

TungstenCubeNew Member

Threads:
    If you don't like staying in a hostel, consider staying at a Best Western. They're typically lower priced than competitors, offer straightforward and basic services, and gives you your own room. Additionally, you can find them all over the world and are near desirable destinations, but at a lower price. That being said, you won't find the nicer amenities typically associated with Hilton, Hyatt, and other higher end hotels.

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, thanks. I'm looking for something for one night, until we move onto another location, so it doesn't have to be fancy. As long as it's clean and safe, I'm good. I don't think we'll be spending much time there. I'll look into Best Western. Thanks for the tip.

We can seek the nicer amenities at our other location, but this sounds fine for the need at hand. I've used Best Western in the past, and it's plain Jane, but was clean and suitable. I will see if there is one in the appropriate location and go from there.