Can you be fit without doing exercise?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Apr 25, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am curious if one can really be fit by just on his diet and doing no exercise. I'm not an expert, but I highly doubt it. I mean our bodies are made to move, so I think that we should make the most of it. Also, exercises are beneficial. They aid in chemical production inside our body to lift our mood and to counteract the imminent disease we are probable to incur by our diet and genetics.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would depend on the kind of work you do during the day. If you sit around in the office all day long and gorge yourself on meals that will ensure you stay fit, you'll be deceiving yourself.

For someone who does work that involves exertion of sorts, even if that person doesn't exercise he'll still be fit because he regularly burns calories/fat.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    If you have an occupation that requires a lot of physical activity then yes you can be fit without exercise. Also if you have stopped exercising, it will take a long time to lose this fitness, and the fitter you were the longer it will take to lose. Also, some people just naturally have high metabolism making it a lot easier for them to change from coach potato to a fit individual in a very short amount of time.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    To me it depends on your definition of "fit."

Genetically, some people can look really fit and healthy without doing much of anything. I am one of those people. I am naturally tall and thin and I actually seem to have pretty decent looking muscles (for a woman) but I really don't do much to look like this. (People constantly ask me what I do to tone my arms, and I'm like, "Tone...?")

So yes. I think for a small number of people is possible to look good without working out and to maintain a pretty healthy looking body on diet alone.

That said, I wouldn't call myself "in shape" right now. It would be hard for me to run a 5K for example. My heart and lungs are not in good shape and my leg muscles, though thin looking, are pretty weak.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I would say no. If you get a lot of activity at work, then you are getting exercise and that counts. You might be able to lose weight is you do not exercise but your body will have no reason to create muscle. You will be thinner but weaker. Most of us are not gifted with tone and the older you get, the less tone we have. If one gets no exercise, one will look unhealthy even if you are in the right weight range. With little muscle to support the fat we have, skill will look like it is sagging and drooping.

Even light to moderate activity will be a big benefit to the way you look and feel if you are thinner but do not exercise.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you can be healthy not exercising (as long as you at least walk a little everyday, go up and down the stairs and try not to park your car in front of the place you are going to everytime), but no, you can't be fit if you don't exercise, those two are directly related. I'm used to exercising 3 times a week and I don't consider myself fit, since I broke my toes a month ago I haven't exercised at all and I'm honestly feeling as unfit as I ever felt!! You can't call yourself fit if you sit on the couch all day!

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people exercise without knowing it sometimes-like climbing many stairs or walking to the store. I would say exercise is anything that elevates the heart rate for awhile-but you need to do something to keep you thinking in a healthy way. I would find something that is rather fun- like hiking a beautiful trail or walking out in nature, which can also be fun-or maybe just biking to work to save money on gas. You could even work out around some artwork in an alley which is quite interesting and it might even get you motivated !

8. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Sedentary lifestyle is often discouraged by health professionals. Nutrition alone and without giving the body some exercises, you cannot be physically fit. Physical fitness comes because of exercise. Even the simplest workouts like sweeping the house are considered physical activities.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your fitness would depend on your regular activities. For those with a sedentary job, it is advised to have a regular workout that’s why most offices offer a subsidized gym membership for their employee who need a workout. But if your work is laborious like in the construction industry or in the farm, you can be fit without exercise because your job is already an exercise in itself.

10. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    It could be the case, but I'm guessing the situation is more complex. For instance, a construction worker might lift a lot of things, but he/she might might not be getting an adequate aerobic workout and also you have to consider personal habits. However, I'd say such a person would be more fit than a lot of people, though, maybe not as fit as say, an athlete.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well it is rare, but it reminds me of a friend I had who never entered a weight room in his life but was still the strongest and most fit guy on our team. Some people just get those genes I guess, but for the rest of us probably not so much.