Can I Rent Out My Guest Cottage On Airbnb?

Discussion in Travel started by valedevento • Jan 25, 2016.

1. valedevento

valedeventoNew Member

Threads:
    I have used Airbnb a couple of times in the past as a traveller, I loved it very much. For me the combination of cheap accommodation and staying with locals and people that know their area well is what makes it attractive. Now that I have a small guest cottage myself, I would like to rent it out on Airbnb. Has anybody done this and want to share your experience? I wonder if it is possible to do this without a licence and if you have to pay taxes on the income? All advice is appreciated, thank you.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, you have to pay taxes on your income and while it's a good idea to rent out, you should also consider the costs involved like cleaning, someone greeting them with the key and the check out. I have used it in the past and I had one good experience and one bad one.

You don't need a license, but some people do take insurance out to cover things. It depends which country you live in as the rules will differ.

3. valedevento

valedeventoNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you Theo, the cottage is on our property, so we would be there to clean and greet the guests. It is a good idea to think about insurance, not only for our safety but also for the guests. It seems like a nice way to earn a little extra and show people our beautiful area.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. In hindsight I was being too polite and don't let someone's job or title fool you. My first one was great, but complained about the cleaning cost which is expected; the other was a professional and was a nightmare (English wasn't their first language) and if you do rent to other cultures, they may expect things you don't. Also if you don't like the look of someone or if they are being difficult just don't book them. It's not worth the hassle.

5. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Where is the cottage located? We are doing a family trip this year in August and might be interested in renting it. How many persons can it hold? Is there a kitchen? Are you looking for a swap or just to rent? My sister in law has done swapping and renting and has been very happy with both but I'm not sure what online search engine/company she used to find her locations.