Calling Through Apps

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by tonyb • Jan 3, 2017.

1. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    In addition to using the services of your local GSM providers making calls to mobiles and landlines do you have apps installed on your device which you sometimes switch to. I've got about two calling apps on my phone if I am not using my local network then I am calling via one of the apps. In my location I find it's cheaper for me making calls through installed apps and tend to use it more.

2. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I always make calls through Whatsapp when I'm on WiFi as most of my contacts are on Whatsapp. It does not consume a lot of data. Local providers have taken a hit as almost everyone is making calls via WhatsApp and messenger these days. Internet is cheap in my country here and so I feel using Whatsapp saves a lot of money.

3. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I use VOIP service through my cellphone. I use VOIP service through my cellphone data as well as wifi. I use viber, messanger, whatsapp as well as Line. I use viber more than other VOIP apps.

4. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I've never used apps because I've never found them being convenient. I will need a data connection and the internet speed around here is not that good. Another reason is that not many people have embraced apps around here. If these limitations were absent I would use an app because by my calculations they are cheap. I have no issue with our GSM providers, their prices are favourable.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have two apps that I make calls from to safe money I use it when there's wifi around. I was so glad I could call my cousin who is in another country for free with my internet wifi service. Now we are able to talk more often.

6. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I call through Text Me and Text Free mainly. I play the little games offered in the app, in order to earn some minutes for both talk and text. It is really not a bad deal altogether. Sometimes I even watch short clips that are less than a minute long, and I really earn minutes....

7. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I too use multiple apps for calling depending on who I am calling as my contacts are spread out all over the world. I find it very convinient to call through internet than landline or mobile as it costs me less.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I have VOIP installed on my mobile, precisely VoipDiscount it's quite economical for me reaching friends and family members from any region or part of the world. They may not necessarily have to be online, as I can reach them on landline and their mobiles with my paid subscriptions. I think the charge is quite reasonable. Another very good call app I have installed is Skype, though they reviewed their subscription rates months back which is fine but their subscription rates before this new one was just too fantastically good.

9. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    I am not for the idea of using apps to make calls. This is because I once tried with whats app and the experience was terrible. I waited for almost 10 seconds to hear what the other person was saying. Another thing is that the sound was not clear even with my loudspeaker on. The voice was like that of Icc witnesses.

To make matters worse, a lot of data is consumed when making calls with apps.Unless you are on wifi, it would not be economical.I come from sub-Sahara Africa and the networks are pathetic.Some areas do not even have 2G connectivity. Still, not many people have smartphones. I would rather call normally to save me extra costs of purchasing data.

10. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Calling apps saves money. However, if you don't have internet and have to use phone internet (phone data), internet calls are more expensive than normal calls. Calling apps are a good way to save money on phone bills when you have internet. I use various calling apps such as skype, messenger, viber etc.

11. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    But you will need mobile data or a WiFi connection for that right? I rarely call via apps like Whatsapp or Hike only when the person doesn't attend my phone call after several attempts. And also it costs me data so I just use my usual to call.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use WhatsApp for calling as it's cheaper and no one has to think about minutes they are using up. They can quickly go without realizing. I am careful about what apps I use though because some do drain your battery, and others can access your information.

In general, I keep very little on my phone these days for this reason as it's safer. I have heard it's easier to hack into app accounts, so one should always be careful before installing an app.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    There is this facility called Voice over Internet Protocol { VoIP} which enables one to call over the internet at a negligible charge if any. Such applications are rareand far between, thats why people are increasingly using other non call features. The other plausible alternative I know of is the use of a satellite phone.

14. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Voice Over Internet Protocol or VoiP in short has a great advantage. The main benefit of VOiP is you save money on your telephone calls. If I have to make calls to the US from my home country I will have to pay 25 cents every minute, however, if I use VOiP, it is free (you have to pay your internet bills though). I have numerous calling apps on my smartphone. Viber and skype are two apps that I use most.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I just use Facebook Messnger, although I opted not to install the app on my phone and I just visit the site on my phone. I don't call anyone unless it's an emergency, so I mostly just use it for sending messages or even narrating some stories or updates to friends.

16. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This still seems strange, and it always throws me for a loop to figure out what numbers are showing up and how it works with more tradiitonal phones. I did just use a text through app not too long ago, so I am getting there.

17. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Calling through apps can come cheaper if you're using unlimited internet or if the service is provided for free by the telco. I've not used an app on my cellphone to call but video calls though the apps can be a cheaper way to communicate with loved ones in specific countries as this is what my sister's family use along with video calls through FB messenger or skype.

My telco gives me 5 hours of calls and unlimited text for only $4 per month so I don't feel the need to use those apps. The call rate for overseas call to specific countries like the US is even cheaper with their overseas call card or load. I can call relatives in the US for $.04 per minute which is even cheaper than the cost per minute of local calls.

18. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Most of them have similar prices to mobile networks, the only noticeable difference is that if the app can use your bandwidth then the price will be cheaper.

19. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Yes. It has already a practice for us, members of the family to call each other. Now that other members of the family are overseas, we save money buying prepaid international cards. We call each other thru the use of apps. Specifically messenger or Viber.