Buying Treats And Toys For A Dog That's Not Yours?

Discussion in Pets started by tangela • Mar 14, 2015.

1. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    This is going to sound really weird, but hear me out...

I'm going to start helping my boss's friend with their dog (a husky puppy) because they don't have the time for it. It used to be their son's but their son got it in college, and when he moved into an off campus apartment they couldn't keep the dog so the son brought it back to his mom and dad's house (so responsible, right?). I found out recently and offered to walk the dog several times a week to get its energy out, and I love dogs so I definitely look forward to this experience!

But I think, from what I've heard, the dog isn't well trained yet and pulls when he goes on walks. I'm planning to train the dog a little, but knowing that I'll probably need to get some training toys or something myself. Of course the dog will end up keeping it, so I don't want to skimp on the quality, but knowing it's not really my dog I am slightly reserved on how much money I would spend.

What would you do if you were in my position? And please keep in mind that I won't be asking the dog owners for compensation on the toys/training equipment I buy because they have a family member who is going through chemotherapy right now and money may be tight.

2. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I think you have a huge heart and a wonderful human being! You are doing a great service for both dog, and owners. They are lucky to have you. Check the Dollar Stores for dog toy, you can kind of tell if the toys are durable or not by the feel of them. Some Discounted stores like Burlington Coat Factory, TJMaxx, and Marshall have a little area for pets too, and they are more than half the price of Pet stores. I buy most of my dog's things from them.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    It's not strange. It makes sense. You're trying to help & I'm sure the dog will provide plenty of love payments to make up for the cash spent. Making toys is a lot cheaper than buying ready made toys. My issue with dollar store toys has always been quality. Especially for a bigger dog like a Husky.

4. Shannon Parris

Shannon ParrisNew Member

Threads:
    I think that is just wonderful of you to offer to help with this baby. I buy lots of toys and treats right after a holiday when all the seasonal stuff is marked down. You can some really good deals on some good toys. Good luck with the training.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Meh. I applaud you for what you plan on doing, but I wouldn't worry too much about the cost. Don't spend too much, but don't go for bargain bin toys either. As long as they're going to keep the dog happy, then that's really all that matters!

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I've never thought to look in Dollar Stores, so I'll have to check that out (with a vigilant eye for durability :p ). Thank you for the suggestions!

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    That's true, and homemaking the toys you know how durable it is (typically anyway). Have you made any homemade dog toys? If so, do you have any suggestions?

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I usually check out Pinterest for ideas but there is a really good article

that has a few smart idea. I've been making animal toys for my guys for a few years now. It's fun for me & them at this point.

9. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the link! I'll definitely check it out sometime soon :) If I don't have the resources on hand or the time I think it may just be easier and/or cheaper to buy it :)

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, why not? It's probably the same as giving a gift to your friend, or something like that. If you are willing and have the money for it, go for it. :) My family sometimes buy random gifts to dogs of our friends/families as well.