Buying Clubs Or Scams?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Zyni • Apr 14, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen a lot of buying clubs over the years, such as book clubs and other stuff. While some of them are legit, I think a lot of it is just rubbish. They now have these box subscriptions too, like beauty boxes and such. Do you join these?

I definitely wouldn't do the "grab bag" style ones where you don't even know what you're getting.

Some of these are just not a good value, but some are outright scams.

I joined a club years ago that was to get "free" stuff for kids if you made X amount of purchases. I made all the required purchases, but when it came time to get the freebies, there always seemed to be some issue. There was always one more thing to buy, or something.

I don't really like these clubs, and I consider many of these types of set ups to be scams. What say you?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think some are fine, but I don't like the ones that require you to make so many purchases over a certain time period. I went to a furniture place in the city one time that had furniture at reduced prices, but you had to become a member of the club first, with a fee. I didn't think most of the furniture was in that great a shape, and unless you were furnishing a whole house, it didn't seem to be worth it actually.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of some people having some success with these types of clubs, but they don't appeal to me at all. At one point, I was interested in the beauty boxes, but then the only ones I came across in my search were the ones where you pay a monthly subscription. They would then make up a 'goodie bag' to send out to you every month. What I didn't like about them was the fact that you didn't get a say in what you received, you just got what they selected. On applying for an account, you fill this profile form they use in deciding what stuff is suitable for you. But I don't like it, so I've never bothered, and doubt I ever will. I think I may end up with a whole stash of stuff I can't use.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My thoughts exactly. I compare it to receiving a "grab bag," which rarely works out well, ha ha. I just read where someone on another site loves these things. She signs up often and switches up with different companies all the time. She uses the stuff she likes and then donates some of it or gives the rest out as gifts. I guess that could work, but personally, I'd rather spend the money on something I know I will like.

I'm also not big on perfume and other beauty items as gifts, unless I really know what the other person likes and it's someone close to me.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    These to me are exactly like network marketing sales. I automatically question it if the product isn't available commercially, in regular old stores. Almost like it isn't quite good enough to just sell on its own merits, it has to be high-pressure pushed into people's faces.

I know many people who got suckered into the Disney Movie club, as well as similar book clubs. They catch you with an introductory "FREE" offer - then you are on the hook and cancelation is almost impossible, despite the first message claiming, "Cancel at any time, the first shipment is yours to keep, free!"

Yeah. I call scam all over this one.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Haha @Zyni@Zyni......I think that comparison is both funny and so on point :) I like that 'grab bag' expression! I guess some people like that lady really derive some pleasure from it, and if they do, then good for them. I too would much rather spend my money on stuff I know I really like and want. I don't have that big of a circle of friends, and the ones I do have aren't big into that sort of thing so I'd probably be stuck with all that rubbish hehe. Plus over here we don't have many charities.

7. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    It really depends on the company but I think it's unfair to call most of the subscription box type things that are popping up scams. A lot of them are really highly reviewed and offer a pretty good value of product included. Some people just enjoy the grab bag/suprise aspect of them. I was a member of Ipsy for almost a year, which is a beauty products subscription. They send a little makeup bag with different things in it every month. I felt like it was like getting a little gift every month, and even though there were a few items I got I didn't like, overall I had a lot of fun with it and got tons of stuff I like. The price for that one is $10 a month so it's very reasonable.