Brushing With Salt

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by remnant • Jul 12, 2017.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I have had dental pain and afflictions from time to time and used
    toothpaste to clean my teeth experimenting with different brands.
    Recently, I started brushing with salt. Initially, it was very painful
    as it penetrated the cavities killing bacteria but the pain has now
    stopped and my mouth feels healthier. I have adopted salt, its quite
    cheap and effective, try it.

2. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have not heard of using salt to brush with before. Do you just put salt on your toothbrush and brush normally? Is there a certain type of salt that you use? I am glad that it is working for you and that your tooth pain is gone. I really do not like toothpaste as it really makes me gag and I do not like mint flavor. Thanks for sharing this method for brushing teeth.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes I did try this a few months ago when I had toothache which triggered my migraine and that's a very painful experience. I tried taking pain reliever but to no avail. Then I researched for home remedies and I stumbled upon this salt and pepper think to use as toothpaste. So there I tried it and it was spicy and salty and it relieved the pain after a few minutes after rinsing it. After a while, I fell asleep and when I woke up, it doesn't hurt anymore :)

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds good! Good that it helps to relieve your toothache. I would like to give it a try, as I am trying not to use the commercial toothpaste so much. I have read about using baking soda for the teeth too, but I still need to research more about it. Thanks for sharing this!

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have known people, even myself, to use salt to brush teeth. I have discontinued this practice, however, because I fear that the salt may be too abrasive and could probably damage my tooth enamel.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I remember my late mother who compelled me to brush my teeth after eating. It so happened that we were running out of toothpaste. She told me to use the table salt. Well, I had no other choice but to follow my mother. First, it's too awkward. I was afraid that my gum would be scratched or injured. So I dissolved the salt and dipped the toothbrush to it. Later I used to it. So that is what I had learned as an option when there is no toothpaste available.

7. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread reminds me of my boyhood years that life was hard such that toothpaste was not considered a necessity. Salt was our alternative when we run out of toothpaste and my mother would wait for payday to buy. Salt is a good mouthwash as I discovered when I was an adult. Until now, I use salt dissolved in water as gargle. It is perfect for sore throat.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazing as I did not know salt was an alternative for toothpaste. I use ProNamel and my hygienist says my teeth are strong, especially for my age, that is, lol. Learned from your posts, thank you. I'll have salt handy wherever I go, for just in case you need it. Salt is inexpensive too. ProNamel is the most expensive toothpaste on the shelves.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think once a month that can be good. But not sure if it to be used every single day. I have found that it may not be a good idea to make use of the salt on teeth everyday. Usually when you have the gum issue, it can be proving exactly opposite. I am guessing that salt can be good for those who have issue with teeth cleaning and some other germs issue.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, Remnant I knew about this method from my mother but I was forgotten about it. Thanks for reminding it to me, because it seems that I have pain in my teeth and probably an infection.
    I will try to brush my teeth with salt for a while and if is not working I will go to a dentist!

11. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I do use salt and sometimes baking soda when I feel a toothaching and it feels like total relieve. I am not so sure toothpaste is so good as we are taught to be and would consider other natural things to be better but I still need to find out about more of them. When the toothache get really bad to the point that is makes our entire head hurt I was also recommended to put a piece of onion on the infected area.

12. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't think of that. I will need to find out more about this. I just read that using baking soda too much is abrasive, hence I have read that it's good to use Bentonite clas as a natural ingredient for DIY toothpaste, it's not too abrasive.

13. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    My grandfather used to apply salt to his gums to relieve the swelling and it does work. The folks in the countryside dissolve salt in water and gargle the solution. This is good not just for the gums but as a natural anti-bacterial solution. I remember reading from an online blog that gargling a salt solution for a few minutes is one of the natural ways to stop persistent cough. I haven't tried it as replacement for toothpaste. I think that mint or eucalyptus leaves serves that purpose just as well if not better than salt.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Use of salt has been an age old practice in my country even if the user had no tooth problem. People especially in rural areas used mixture of salt and mustered oil for cleaning their teeth and keep gum related problems away. People also use to make dental powder mixing salt, pepper, clove and backing soda which kept their mouth fresh and bacteria free.

15. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I knew that salt is used for whitening teeth, I have tried it a few times but never knew that it worked for toothache. I have also used a mixture of baking soda and salt when my mouth didn't feel fresh, but that's just about it. We should really use such natural ingredients more often than usual.

16. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I saw on another forum that salt can be used to relieve pain. Our dentists in the UK advise us to rinse our mouth out with salt water after a dental extraction but I thought that was to prevent infection as I know it aids healing.

I googled it and it can also be used in a bath to relieve the pain of arthritis so it must have some pain relieving properties. I will remember this in future.

17. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Using salt as a gargle mouth wash was something my mother used to make me do when I suffered from mouth ulcers when I was a child. I have never heard of using salt as a tooth paste though. I presume you would just dab your brush in the salt before brushing your teeth and then rinse out with water.

I use Tumeric. Tumeric is non abrasive and I think that salt might be. Tumeric helps to make the teeth really white. Then I brush my teeth with Euthymol toothpaste which is free of fluoride.

18. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used salt before but I have used baking soda to clean my teeth. But later after some research, I found that baking soda removes the enamel and it is bad for our teeth on a constant use. So I stopped using it. Thanks for the tip will definitely try it out. :)

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's really good. Honestly I never heard about brushing with salt so far. I don't have any pain my teeth, but I have another problem and I wonder if this thing can help in it. Since few months one of my teeth(last one) became kind of sensitive. Whenever I drink cold water its really feel kind of pain (its not exactly pain) but I wonder how to explain it. So do you think I should try out with salt for sorting out this problem?

20. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    That is true littlewitch66, in India, we have been using salt in hot water baths to relieve arthritic pains for a long time. It really helps a lot. I think saltwater also acts as antiseptic and prevents inflammation so it is prescribed to gargle with during sore throats too.