Bringing Snacks And Drinks Along On Road Trips

Discussion in Travel started by Zyni • Feb 25, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if you're going on a short trip, you can save some money by bringing along snacks and drinks. Instead of stopping at restaurants, convenience stores, and truck stops along the way, pack a cooler and some munchies if you want to save some cash.

Those individual beverages and packages of snacks can add up very quickly. It's tough to enter one of the above-named places when hungry and thirsty and leave with out spending several dollars at each stop. It adds up super fast for large families.

Do you bring along food and beverages when you travel?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always bring along food and beverages on road trips not only because it saves me money but also because I've been to some places where the don't accept debit or credit cards. This happened to me once and having learned my lesson from then on I always pack some food: fruit juice, yogurt, and some home made bread.

3. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Ditto, we always pack a cooler full of snacks and drinks for the ride. You can save so much money on your trip by doing this. I even pack treats like chocolate bars and candy for the trip. Once we stopped at a gas station and I let my kids pick a treat each. I think I ended up paying over $5 for a bag of Maynards. It was ridiculous the prices at the gas station. Never again. I buy large boxes of juice and pack cups for the kids. I will even bring bowls and large bags of popcorn for the trip. The only bummer is you have to vacuum the car when you get back.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always take food with me when I am on a road trip. It is so expensive to purchase food on the road that sometimes I refuse to purchase the food and just go hungry which is not good. I take yogurt and fruit with me, along with a bag of trail mix which is good for fiber and protein.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on how long of a trip we have. If it is only going to be a couple of hours, then I will not pack any snacks but if it is going to be longer then I usually do. We usually stop for breakfast and will not need anything other than that. It is one of the perks of going on a trip to stop for breakfast as a special treat.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Last weekend we were in a beach resort that is actually a hotel so expect it to be strict with food and drinks that they don't allow inside. It is our habit to have an ice chest with drinks and snacks so we distributed the bottles and cans in our bags. The security guard just looked at the bags and didn't open so we were able to smuggle our drinks and snacks. However, we cannot drink it when dining in the hotel restaurant so what we do is just order water when dining and just drink the soda and juice inside the hotel room. By the way, a can of soda in the restaurant costs 95 pesos where you can buy in convenience store for only 25 pesos. Definitely we have saved a lot with our smuggled drinks.

7. Adoreyou!

Adoreyou!New Member

Threads:
    Road Trips are always a great way of having fun. I used to take these kind of road trips always. Makes me feel great always experiencing things like these so much. That will be simply great to try things like these, Will really like to let know from you guys about road trips too.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't bother with such a thing unless a budget constraint forced me - mainly because I enjoy splurging on vacations, well, at least within sane amounts. I mean, why be tight-wad on a vacation when life's circumstances normally force us to save in our day-to-day life? However, though, there is an exception to the rule. For instance, a camping style trip might be a good time to avoid restaurants and the like.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, mostly drinks and sandwhiches since buying them outside can be costly. It also saves you the hassle of stopping over just to buy snacks, so you can simply just park and eat conveniently in your car when you get hungry.

10. Ani_m

Ani_mMember

Threads:
    Bringing snacks and drinks on a road trip is a great idea. Especially when you're with a group of people. And even more so on a very long trip. You not only save, it can also be healthier than stopping for junk food. Plus, you get to share with others.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    It's fun to cook your own stuff during the Road Trip. In road trips you can bring those easy to cook type meals. I know there are some noodles which only needs boiled water. And also some of the ready to boil rice packets. So such things can be useful for the trip. And it can be surely good for the drinks and snacks too.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I usually try to load up on the things from home wherever I go, and yes this includes road trips. Those stops at the gas station and all of that are easy ways to waste some money so this just prevents that for me.

13. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I do bring a lot of water whenever I travel. I don't really care if it's just an hour ride or one that will last for 9 hours, I always bring bottled water with me. I also bring some snacks for short trips which I buy in the grocery before travelling, since they cost a lot cheaper instead of buying ones in convenience stores. For long hours of travelling, I cook meals to save quite a bit since most restaurants overcharge travelers here in our place, aside from the fact they don't serve good food.

14. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    [QE="Zyni, post: 209885, member: 8694"]Even if you're going on a short trip, you can save some money by bringing along snacks and drinks. Instead of stopping at restaurants, convenience stores, and truck stops along the way, pack a cooler and some munchies if you want to save some cash.

Those individual beverages and packages of snacks can add up very quickly. It's tough to enter one of the above-named places when hungry and thirsty and leave with out spending several dollars at each stop. It adds up super fast for large families.

Do you bring along food and beverages when you travel?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do love snacks a lot and as such I don't miss to bring it along once I am embarking on a journey that is more than 2 hours. This is because during the journey, it would make you not to feel hungry and and also it would make you not feel bored.

It is actually another means to save cost of eating at restaurants as a result of hungry. Some snacks and beverages tend to have the capacity of quenching ones hunger especially if it's not someone who eats too much.

15. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I always take snacks and drinks with me when I travel because if I eat at a restaurant is much expensive. Buying food and drinks from my city is cheaper than buying from the places we go.

For example, if I buy a bottle of water from home I pay 1 dollars, the same bottle of water at a mountain place I pay 2 dollars.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When on a road trip using our car, the ice chest for cold drinks is imperative. We also bring snack items that include boiled eggs. Especially when the trip is more than 4 hours, it is natural to get hungry. Stopping to eat is not a good option because you lose time and you are not sure of the food even if it's a restaurant. We have several bad experiences so we avoid eating in a restaurant along the way.

17. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It's a good idea to take some drinks along with you when you are going on a road trip. You may easily get hungry or thirsty especially when you may be on a long trip and sometimes there may be no available outposts where you get these for a number of miles. Therefore, for continence sake, it may be good that you stock up that you should probably stock up in case you may need it along the way.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We almost always carry our own stuff and drinks including water etc on each trip that lasts 10-12 hours safely. If we are out for a longer family trip even then we keep home made snacks that comes in handy for couple of days. I even take home made food stuff for one time for my business trips. That saves me from eating outside food in train or bus which is not healthy in most places on the way.

19. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I totally agree with this. Packing your own food and drinks for a trip makes sense from all points. You save money, you can pack whatever you want and eat whenever you want. This is especially important if you are travelling as a group or a family and you have young children. Also, if there are needs like special diets or if someone is allergic to certain food items, you will be able to cater for this by packing your own food.

20. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    Carrying along drinks and some snacks when traveling is a very nice idea. This saves a lot of money since most restaurants that serve travelers are damn expensive-they take advantage of the travelers. Another advantage associated with carrying your own food is that fact that you can eat it whenever you are hungry.You can take it even when you are in a vehicle traveling.