Breeding Pets To Earn Money?

Discussion in Pets started by sidney • Jul 10, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Corzhens@Corzhens, Yeah, that breed is the type made for dog shows. Their lifespan is long, huh? Their fur seems like a lot of work, lol. They are expensive indeed, but I know it can get cheaper if their lineage isn't dog show material.

@JosieP@JosieP, In my case, the cat was born here, and when she gave birth, it was ok at first, but when the kitten grew up she started hissing at it when it got near her. In your case, maybe she doesn't want her kitten to get the disease from her? And based from what you've just said, I guess you also aren't supporting pet shops, lol.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You guessed it lol.. and yes, animals tend to turn on the weak and/or sick out in the wild. It even happens in my own home. My oldest can tell when other animals are sick and she turns on them. She turned on our dog who died shortly after and she turned on our senior cat who showed no signs of illness until it was too late and we had to put him down. Not all animals will do this though. My other cats would mother the sick, it just depends. No matter the reason, I couldn't use that to justify a business. It won't happen all the time and even if it did, the rest is still true.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @JosieP@JosieP, I didn't know that. Because the kitten was strong, I thought it was a color thing, because the mom was 3 colors and she looked mostly black, and her kitten was orange and white, so she rejected him. That mother cat eventually left us and never came back. My mom said maybe because all our cats that time were orange and white, and she was the only different one. I saw her on our fence years later, and she didn't go down from it and just sat there as I looked at her up close to see if it was really her. I read that animals can sense when a person is sick, so I think in a way they're psychic. Well, if there were no pet shops, I wonder where will I be able to buy a rabbit or a hamster, because they aren't roaming in the streets and you won't find them in shelters, lol.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, @JosieP@JosieP because that's also what I see - making those pets a production machine with pregnancies after pregnancies to earn profit. After our first dog's failed pregnancies (she actually did not get pregnant at all), we had decided to have only male dogs. But now we have a female dog given by our vet, we are so careful of her because we have 2 male dogs and they all inside the house.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, my thoughts are that these animals shouldn't be pets anyway, so that would just make my stance stronger lol. Also, pet stores usually support mills and other shady business that produce some of the sickest animals out there. I know we all know someone who bought a pet from them and they were fine, but as long as we support these places, the more that will pop up, creating more and more issues and more and more animals will die in shelters.

As for the animals senseing disease/illness etc.. I've read our breath changes when we're sick (cancer etc).. so no psychic abilities, just a very strong sense of smell.

That's exactly what the dog becomes when they deserve to live care free.. and spayed or neutered! lol. I used to always have male dogs, up until our last who was female and the calmest, most gentle creature we'd ever had. They're much different I've found, even when looking at other people's females, so we've decided that if we ever break down and get another dog (unlikely, since I don't want to deal with the heartbreak of loss again), we will get a female :)

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It could be a great money-spinner if you have few scruples but personally, I feel it's morally wrong to continue bringing domestic pets into this world when there are so many already waiting to be rehomed.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I fully agree that it is morally wrong to have a puppy mill. There is a place here called Baguio City which is a very popular summer resort for its cool climate. In the main road called Session Road, dog sellers abound. They breed dogs to sell that's why they are called puppy mills. My husband wrote an article in a magazine on that matter and included the photos of those puppy vendors.