Birthday Party Ideas

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by thisnthat • Jun 26, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    It's always fun to plan a birthday party for a small child. They get so excited over everything. So, I've happily begun the initial planning stages for a party for my grandchild. If you have some ideas to share, I'd be happy to hear them.

There really isn't going to be a big theme, just lots of colors. She likes colorful.

I will make some things, and I will probably pick up some items at the Dollar Tree. They have cute, affordable, party items. I haven't decided where else to look yet. Where do you like to shop for party favors, party decorations, and other goods?

Oh, goodie bag ideas are welcome too! They are fun, but I'd love to have some ideas for stuff besides candy or other sweets to include in the gift bags.

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we have a children’s party, we usually prepare 2 weeks in advance. We buy the colorful crepe paper that we cut and make into sort of piñatas that we hang on the ceiling and along the doorway. We also buy items for prizes in the parlor games. It’s so enjoyable to conduct the traditional parlor games because they were always a hit with the kids. And for the food, never forget the hotdog cocktails that you can fry and attach to small sticks together with a piece of masrshmallow and pineapple. For an appetizer, the kids love that. With what we do, at least there’s not much budget needed.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very good with these kind of thing, but I think if you go inside a children's store or some store with party supplies, surely some great idea will pop up in your mind. :)

4. dane

daneMember

Threads:
    With proper planning and enough time, a child's party doesn't have to cost a lot. I usually go to Pinterest to get some great ideas and you will find all kinds of tips and tricks on how to make the most awesome decorations for next to nothing and other money-saving party tricks.

5. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    We will have lots of balloons, and pinatas. Kids love Pinatas and I am 23 now and even I love them. We will decorate the whole house with balloons and other decorative papers available. And for the goodies, we will give some stationary items like color pencils, sketch pens, pencils and stuffs which they can use it for a while. When you just walk into a store for shopping you will get lots of ideas seeing the various items available. :)

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, yeah, Pinterest is loaded with good ideas. I've already started a board for this party, and it is filling up fast. ;) I just like to ask here as well, since people often have good, fun, affordable ideas or tips.

I do tend to get inspired by looking through stores as well, but which stores do you recommend? Are there some good online party shops?

What kinds of parlor games do you play, @Alexandoy@Alexandoy? Do you recommend any good ones for toddlers and small kids?

Thanks, everyone!

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I like that you have decided the party to be colourful, kids like that. Colours make everything so bright and cheerful and with kids around, the happiness seems to double. When I host a birthday party for my son, I usually get the gift items at a wholesale market and then put them together in a goodie bag. I usually go for something that the kids can make use of and create their own things later on. His birthday usually falls around Diwali, our festival of lights and so one year, I just bought a lot of little earthern lamps. Got different coloured tubes of acrylic paints along with glitters, some fancy golden and silver lace, beads, craft pearls etc. and created a goodie bag with one lamp, two colour tubes, little bits of golden and silver laces, embellishements and glitters each. The kid later on decorated the lamps and proudly lit them on Diwali day. You could think of something like that, a paper kit of origami or crafts etc.

8. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    You can never go wrong with a clown or another animal character. Costume parties are a favorite with kids. If you have the budget for it, you can think of having a jumping castle or any other kind of inflatable toys. Lots of toys, sweets and you can never go wrong. :)

9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    We are using a lot of ballons filled with confetti, and to save money I have a friend that will dress in a cown and make animals from ballons and crazy triks, my brother is making magic tricks. In the end the party is a big success and my kid is always happy!

10. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's not hard to come up with ideas but over the years somethings become obsolete and boring for the child, therefore always innovate.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I love using balloons. They are inexpensive, colorful, and just fun. You have to have balloons. :)

I used to have this cool set of balloon sticks. They had a little fastener on the end. You blew up the balloon and attached them, and then you could make a quick balloon bouquet. It's an easy fast way to decorate, and it looks great. I need to find another set of those.

Okay, then share your great ideas and innovations. :p

12. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what the child like, but many like the same thing. I would suggest go to party city if it is in your area, they usually have fun little treats for you to buy. Other than that, I suggest you go to either Dollar Tree, Family Dollar or Dollar General. They are good, small and cheap stores for you to buy a good number of treats and items for your lucky birthday child.

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes asking the child what kind of birthday party they'd like helps you make it special just for them. I like asking the birthday person about the party for then they get just what they want for their birthday. If the child is a bit too small to understand, then how about the good old pizza party, children love pizza...safe, neat and economical are pizza parties with a little salad sneaked in to make it a balanced meal too. Getting the child's favorite cake and ice cream is a special treat for the child that even me at 63 remembers my birthday of 8 yrs. old blowing out the candles and eating my cake and ice cream. Supermarkets got sales on ice cream all the time, so you can save money. Checking your local Walmart on prices for ice cream, they got sugar free ice cream sandwiches locally. Cake though is a different matter, but at Costco they have a sheet of cake very economical priced. If on membership at Costco, Safeway can make your cake the way you want it and pick up when you go shopping at Safeway. Good luck and happy birthday fun!

14. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does help if the child knows what they want. My little angel wanted "all different colors" then later said rainbows. I kind of figured, so luckily, that's the direction I had started in. It turned out very cute with lots of colorful paper decorations, balloons, and goodies. I made a nice rainbow fruit tray kind of like this one:

I'm still keeping an eye on this thread for more ideas though, since there will always be another party. ;)

Oh, wow, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe. It sounds like you know where to find all the good deals. I wish I had Costco or Safeway here. We do, of course, have Walmart though. :)

15. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Kids birthday party is so fun when you have a good organizer at the helm of its preparation. Toys are a nice and enticing things to kids, they really appreciate it very well and most times have sentimental attachment to such gifts.

They love a bit of a song and dancing, it's actually thrilling for them. Try to use balloons in decorating the venue of the birthday. Also organize dance contest for the kids and give out gifts to the winners of such dancing competition.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    jus
    Well, you know what...Walmart has cupcakes that's decorated, if you get those it's cheaper than a sheet of cake at the bakery, just push them together on your cake platter and it looks like a cake, but it's cupcakes pushed together. If the part is small, it won't be that much for a cupcake is like a slice of cake. It's up to you...Walmart has cake mixes and frosting, too. If you're a home baker, you can save yourself a lot of money by baking yourself a birthday cake. Walmart has all the decorating items to make it personal too. We don't have a Ralphs, here on Oahu but I know they are on the mainland. Try checking their site to see if they got cakes like Safeway. I wish you find all you need at a very good price to save you money.

17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    As a child gets older the kind of celebration they like changes. My granddaughter is 11 in just over a week and we are going to a nearby swimming pool which has lots of water features. She is taking two friends and after we will then visit somewhere like pizza hut. It is much easier in that there is nothing to buy beforehand and no clearing up to do at the end.

18. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I have a different suggestion. You could do a panel of your photos with her friends to put in a wall as a decoration. Moreover, putting some images of superheros and cartoons, whereas children likes colorful images..

19. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a really great and inspiring idea, it will definitely make it seem like the thought was well put through and done.

20. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I like that idea a lot! As kids grow older, their ideas too change and they bond more with a couple of other kids and want to spend their time with only those friends rather than inviting many other children. My son just turned 10 and I will definitely suggest this idea to him on his next birthday. It is so much easier than the whole mountain of work before and after the usual birthday celebrations! o_O