Best Time For Buying Plane Tickets?

Discussion in Travel started by Lazar • Nov 21, 2016.

1. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    Month before flight, two, one week? I don't understand, I looked for a ticket about two months before the flight and I came back a few weeks later and it was cheaper. How? I thought tickets are cheaper when you buy them earlier.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, flight fares are fluctuating depending on seasons.

I find fares quite costly near the time I want to buy. Pre booking helps cut the cost greatly.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We buy our plane tickets 6 months before the actual flight. This is the style of airlines in selling discounted plane tickets. You pay in full so they get hold of the money and use it at once. We seldom buy plane tickets on demand because it is expensive so we always plan our travels ahead. For 2017 we already have tickets for Malaysia, Japan and Hong Kong.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not always, it depends on where you are going and the demand. Often if a rival airline cuts prices then an airline will match the price too. If it's with the same airline you could look and see if they have a lowest price guarantee as some do and will refund you, or offer you air miles as a gesture of good will.

5. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK the prices of flights does seem to change on a daily basis and while it used to be the earlier you purchased them, the cheaper they was, that doesn't seem to apply any more. I tend to try and buy them as early as I can, and while that does seem to save a bit, a lot depends on where you are going also and a lot of the times you do just have to take a chance and hope for the best.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I think plane tickets are supposed to be cheaper if you buy a few months to actual travel day but then it may also depends on how passengers turn out for that particular flight. If by few days to the flight so many seats are yet to be sold then the airline maybe compelled to lower their price in a bid to attract customers. I normally get my ticket one or two months to travel for a better deal

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The best time to buy flight tickets is just after the holiday season. Like if you buy in the month of November for February the chances are you will get the best fares of the year. One- the holiday season is over and exam season has started that forces operators to offer the best rates. Two- if you select off season like when it's rainy season the chances are you get best hotel deals and air fares.

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Around my area, it's usually March when the flight tickets are a lot cheaper because of the calm weather and no close holidays. Here, when there are holidays close, it usually costs triple the normal price and especially on weekends. I suggest you purchase tickets in months far from holidays and choose flights during the week days. Flight prices can also change depending on weather changes or demands.

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never ever ridden on a plane in my present age of 65 but I have learned from my relatives, friends and social follower about the great benefits they got when buying a plane ticket. They said plane tickets usually get cheaper when the airlines have promos, when plane passengers are many and those possible time of the year is a country's special events celebration, national happenings or an anniversary of the airlines.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As far our areas are concerned we get them at cheapest rates in February and July because most of the people do not want to go out due to their children are busy in studies/exams and July being the peak rainy season so no one is interested to spend their time in hotels instead of watching natural beauty.

11. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    It is normal to get cheaper tickets if you buy them far enough in advance. I think that there are also good deals to be had if you purchase cancelled flights on the day, but then that would depend on if the tickets available were going where you wanted to go.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with most of the comments. You can buy cheaper tickets if you buy them months prior to your flight, perhaps 6 months or more. Or you can also check if there are promos available. There are actually a lot of discounted prices and different offers with different airlines and third party websites, you just need to be patient in looking for one.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine is already planning on getting a ticket for a flight he intends to embark on five months from now in a bid to catch a cheap flight. I was lucky when I booked a flight sometime ago it was around two months to the actual date. I got the ticket for half of the price some other persons got ticket for that same journey.
    Booking early at least two months to departure in my view is good decision aimed at getting cheap ticket

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am really feeling so disappointed this time. You see I have to travel in 3rd week of February because I have to join my new Assignment on 19th of February therefore I am looking for best offers from different airlines. February, especially the third week is least suitable for tourists but even then I am not getting travel offers according to my plans. Either the tickets are too costly or the time is not suitable. In some cases the stop over is too long.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm assuming the whole idea operates according to supply and demand. In that case, tickets during times which aren't on holidays would be cheaper. Therefore, I'm thinking that ones purchased from January to March would be some of the cheapest ones. However, the whole scenario might be dependent on the destination. For instance, tickets to the beach would be more in the summertime, while tickets to other places during the same time period may be average or cheap.