Best grooming tool

Discussion in Pets started by kinser • Apr 21, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Spring is here and shedding is in full "bloom". Both of my dogs are shedders with heavy undercoats. The best tool I have found to help with removing a lot of the undercoat at one time is the Furminator. I seriously don't know how I have much of a dog left after a session with this thing because it takes off SO much fur. It looks like and entire dog's worth of fur once you're done, LOL. Of course, it won't stop shedding, but it does help to get as much off at one time in one place as you can!

2. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    My dad has a border collie that sheds all over the place. I've been wondering about getting him one of these. I haven't had any experience because my Weimaraner has such as short coat, she doesn't shed a lot. Thanks for the review!

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I can vouch for the Furminator, too. It works really well but you do have to be carefull not to go over the same place over and over too much as it really can remove too much. We got ours from a good friend whose pet had passed away. He used it on his long haired cat to prevent mats. He said it was the only tool he ever got that actually worked for his cat.

4. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I left a few almost bald spots on my cat. Oops. I don't think he was happy about it, either. I'd have to work on my German shepherd for hours to take off too much, though - I can't believe how much fur comes off of that dog.

5. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily my two have short fur so they don't really shed very much. They still do get a brush though as brushing helps to circulate their blood.

After brushing I sprinkle lavender oil (just a couple of drops) onto my palms, then I rub my palms together and rub my hands up and down my dog's coats. Then I further rub them with a clean flannel. This spreads the lavender oil evenly over them and it prevents fleas and makes their coat really shiny.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really sure that I could call back a name or brand, but I do know that a good and tough brush is always something we have needed to have. If nothing else, it always works to calm down the roudier of the animals.