Befriending Shop Vendors/owners

Discussion in Travel started by Corzhens • Jul 7, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One trick I have learned was the style of my husband in dealing with shops when we were abroad. Especially if the owner of the shop is there, my husband would engage the owner to a casual chat and in a little bit, he would hand a souvenir item that represents our country. There was a time he handed a 20-peso bill for souvenir which the shop owner was so delighted that she retaliated with a souvenir of her own - giving 2 shirts. It is a good scheme because you get to be friends. Last year when we were in Vietnam, the shop owner even became my Facebook friend so you can imagine the discount I got.

2. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Ah yes. Is easier to befriend shop vendors overseas when you are clearly a foreigner, is a good headstart to bring interest into the conversation and then
    make friends.

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I agree, as a foreigner it is easier to become friends with shop owners. It would be totally different if you would be a resident in the area. Yes, that sounds like a very good thing to do because it can help you.
    With time the friendship can become more, even a business partnership or something.
    Next time I am abroad I will consider befriending the shop owners :)