Ball pythons

Discussion in Pets started by kinser • Apr 30, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    My son went through a snake-loving phase a few years ago, so my husband and I looked into getting him his own pet snake. We were really surprised when a ball python was recommended to us - we were told they were shy and docile, and a good snake for children or someone with little or no experience with snakes. Really? A python? Anyway, we took that advice and bought him a baby ball python. Four and a half years later, Monty (the Python, ha ha) is full grown at nearly 5 feet. Everything we were told is true - he is gentle and doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body (unless you're a rodent of course, LOL). He actually seem to enjoy being held. Obviously, we still supervise when the kids are handling him, but he really is the perfect pet for a child who is interested in reptiles.

2. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    He is full grown at 5 feet? Did they have you keep it in a smaller cage? I have seen pythons grow to be almost 16 feet. My friend sold hers when he was about 9 feet. I personally think they are cool and yes they are very well tempered until they grow a bit bigger. I am glad that Monty is a perfect snake for your son :)

3. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    There are different varieties of pythons - five feet is typically the maximum length for this kind. I don't think I'd want one any bigger - it would be difficult to find a big enough cage that was comfortable and secure, not to mention the problem of having to have access to a continual supply of larger animals for food. A really large constrictor is also a safety issue, especially with kids in the house - they are unbelievably strong. We've had to replace his cage with a bigger one twice. We've gone from 10 gallon when he was a baby to his current one which is 60 gallon. I just wish my husband had gotten the big one to begin with - it would have saved money and the hassle of replacing them!

#3May 1, 2012
    Last edited: May 1, 2012