Backpacking?

Discussion in Travel started by Steve • Apr 8, 2014.

1. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Some years ago, i used a special offer of my country's railway company and went for backpacking by train in 2 different countries (Romania, Bulgaria). I made a lot of friends and got chased by a bear somewhere in a forest, which was waaay too intense! How about you? Do you backpack? If so, do you
    have any interesting stories while you were backpacking?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where did you get chased by a bear? I have never seen a bear in the wild. What happened?
    I have been backpacking all around the world. When I was younger, I travelled in many different European countries, such as the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Hungary, the former Yugoslavia and Greece. I see you are from Chania. I adored every moment that I spent in Crete, which was more than three months at the time. I fell in love with Falassarna.
    Later I branched out and went more global, backpacking all over Australia and New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Next stop will be Latin America. :)
    I have stories that would probably fill a few books. ;)

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I never went backpacking, but I'd love to try it, I just fear I may be a bit older for it now.
    I feel it's a thing younger people do, but it really seems very adventurous, almost romantic in a classical way, not a "lovey" way :)

I do think that story about the bear needs some more exposition, you can't just throw it out there and not say how that happened.

4. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    My story is not really interesting. I was at Brasov Libearty bear sanctuary and decided to skip some fences to see them up close as i thought they were lying at the sun and were too lazy to sit up. Wrong! As i climbed the fence they were starting to stand up, i made one or two steps and they started approaching! After that i started climbing up and they charged at me :O

Stupid youth

5. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    You now summer vacation is end i am also near to backpacking the trip but i want to know that why you chased bear at that moment is there anything special?

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are never too old to backpack, it is a great way to travel and to meet the locals and be free to go wherever you want and when you want. I have climbed mountains, had a behind the scenes tour at Pompeii,( we got caught climbing over a fence and the guide who told us off was off duty and showed us places that were closed to the public) met some amazing people who are still friends and jumped onto a train with a group of Canadian students that I had known for about half an hour to go to the Monaco Grand Prix from Rome.

Yes, you have to be careful and do some research, but there are times you like to have your things in one place for more than a few days and not have to pack.