Are you up to camping?

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Mar 29, 2014.

1. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Camping is great, and i try to camp in the first chance i get. My main destination is the south of my island, that has awesome beaches and places to put your tent, while the time i choose is late May in order to avoid most of the tourists that arrive at June.

2. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Steve, you live in Greece, that seems a paradise place to live. In my country though it's forbidden to camp by the beach, you don't have such problem there? I never camped in the beach, but near it I did it sometimes and it's great, I love to sleep listening to the ocean.

3. Steve

SteveMember

Threads:
    Errrm, well it is "officially forbidden" to camp by the beach and in the months of high traffic we have the coast guard in our heels all the time, but due time we have learned the best spots that are beautiful and relatively unapproachable by the coast guard! A risk worth taking if you ask me :)

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree and you're talking experience, that counts a lot too, knowing the best spots and how to avoid the guards lol. ;) This takes me back 20 years when we could light a fire in the beach at night, it was an incredible experience, but a few years later the police came by saying that was not allowed. They take the best pleasures away from us!

5. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I have camped quite a lot in my life.

I cannot say that i am absolutely thrilled with it, but it is ok. Personally. I get very scared when camping. You never know what can happen in the woods. It is extremely nerve racking, and i find myself counting the seconds until i can return home.

Minus sleeping outdoors, camping can be really fun. I love it up until that part of the experience.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I just read in other thread that you said camping was boring for you, probably because you camped so much? Actually I never got scared while camping, but I just did once camping outside a park and it was great, by a river in a mountain, the stars were huge, great experience.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I hate camping. I don't need lots of luxuries but the thought of being cold, wet and uncomfortable is horrendous to me. However, my children and partner love it and think it is a big adventure. I would tolerate it for them if it was what they wanted to do for a weekend. A week would push me too far!

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that's a act of love, camping for your family! I'm pretty much like you, but come on, camping with rain it's really bad, I've done that once and it was horrible. With sunny weather is far better, but it's not as comfortable as a hotel of course, but you have the nature right there too. ;)

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I love camping, especially by the beach.
    Near where I live there are a few secluded beaches that are only accessible by boat, so it's the perfect place to spend a couple of days. Waking up listening to the waves, spending all day getting sun, then getting a fire going by night.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That sounds like heaven Strykstar! So you just hop into the boat and go to the island with the tent and stay there as long as you wish? Isn't it crowded with people that had the same idea? I'd love to try something like that, seems like something that came out of a movie!!

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It's not an island, it's a small beach on the hillside, I'll try to find a picture I'm sure I can get one.
    There's not many people that go there, I thing the most crowded I've been there was with two other groups, and you can easily have space between the camps that no one bother anyone :)

12. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done this in years, but I would try it as an adult! I would just make sure that I had all of the tools and equipment for bad weather so that I could better enjoy myself.

13. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    66a-Praia-do-Ribeiro-do-Cavalo-300x200.

Found a decent picture! :)
    That's about 20 minutes by boat of any town, you CAN reach it by foot but it's very hard and a few hours of hiking away... especially with camping gear on your back.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That place is looking great Strykstar, I love the beach and even better with rocks because they are great for diving, snorkeling or simply walking around and exploring. I think I could spend a couple of days camping at that beach considering there's some fresh water around. :)

15. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I have never been camping. However, I am hoping to change that in the future. I have always wanted to go camping but I first need to find friends who would like to participate in the outdoor activity. I think it's something fun and exciting everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime.

16. springdaisies

springdaisiesNew Member

Threads:
    I love camping!

It does pay to shop around for camp sites though. It's cheapest to find somewhere that you're allowed to pit a tent for free, but it's nice to be somewhere you can safely leave your tent pitched for the duration, and these days I like to be able to use a loo and shower too!

Even in the same area prices vary hugely so making a few calls can save you money, or gain you amenities such as running water, a site fires are allowed (or pets), and occasionally electricity if you need to charge a phone.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's true ebby, you need to try it at least once. Even if you don't have friends that love camping you can do it alone, it's a great experience as well. I've camped alone a few times and it was great, just pick a nice location and go to the adventure. ;)

18. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I would never consider camping, I couldn't think of many thing worse than sleeping uncomfortably outside on the floor surrounded by bugs. I remember when we went camping for three days at school and I refused to sleep in the tent so my mum had to come and get me each evening and return me by breakfast. If we go away I will only stay in a hotel.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends on my mood and the moods of my companions. When we all agree to go for a camp, then we go. But if someone wanted to stay in a hotel, we go for a hotel. Personally, I find camping a little more exciting. I prefer it when I am not tired. But if I just want to relax, then I prefer to stay in a hotel.

20. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE camping!

I haven't done it about 20 years because nobody wants to com with me. :( I used to do it three or four times a year as a child and loved it, OK, the bugs isn't something I'm too keen on (slugs used to love my sleeping blanket), but I love the outdoors and sitting around a fire and cooking things on it. :) My girlfriend wouldn't cope as she wouldn't be able to go more than five minutes without looking at her phone.