Are You Picky With Your Writing Materials?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by tasxx • Aug 12, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was in college, I have an expensive set of pen, technical pen and ordinary pens in one bundle. And yes, the speical stationery that I use for writing notes and letters. I also have that vellum where it can only be bought in one store because it is imported from London. However, when the computers came to fore, the writing materials seemed to have lost their popularity so now they are just in the storage.

2. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I definitely can be picky about that kind of thing. I hate when the pens smear. It really can mess up what I am writing by smearing up like that. I tried to write some letters at the bottom of my drawing before, the letters ending up smearing. A little brush of your hand is all it takes too. I really dislike markers going through the paper. It makes writing on the back of the paper look weird. I find myself having A LOT of problems with writing materials...

3. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very picky when it comes to my writing materials but I do have my preferences because I'm the type of guy who really takes pride into my handwriting. Given the chance, I would always use technical pens/sign pens/gel pens when I'm writing but if there are no other options, I'm open to using other type of pens.

4. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    It's not me, but rather, my sister. She is into stationary items all the time, constantly buying new pens, notebooks, you name it. She really gets excited around the "Back To School" season and starts going all around collecting and picking up all that she can find. I'm usually amazed by how much she is into it and sometimes call it a waste of time. However, it's her thing so I let her be, plus, whenever I need some stationary items for school or work, I know who to go back to. :p

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like to draw so I've always been picky with pens, although when it comes to writing I'm a lot more forgiving. If I'm writing something long I'd prefer a better pen but I don't mind a cheap one if it's the only one available since it's not too much of a sacrifice anyway. I prefer felt tips the most and they aren't that expensive and they last very long, although they are mostly made for drawing instead of writing so it probably won't appear as clean as a premium ballpoint.

6. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I use Pilot Precise V5 Extra Fine black pens for every day writing (checks, notes, etc.). I use Pilot G2 07 red pens for reconciling my bank account in my register. If I want to use a pencil I choose the Papermate Sharpwriter #2.

For notebooks, I like the Staples® brand Poly Cover Wirebound Notebook, College Ruled, 8" x 10-1/2.

But 90% of my writing is done using Metapad, a free open source text editor, where I type using my computer first, and then transfer to whatever document I'm working on. Metapad is like Notebook on steroids.

7. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    To be honest, when I'm buying writing material I only focus on the price rather than the quality. I usually pick up a huge bundle of pens that are pretty bad but do the job for me, as I'm not too picky in this aspect.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, though I don't use it might. I do like a quality writing experience when I do, and it's actually motivated me to make more use of it. I'm learning a couple of languages, so rather than just type out exercises, I've started writing them too.

9. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    I buy all my paper there. It really benefits for us. Last week my sister purchased a card from there at very low price.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I guess I'm not picky about my stationary. As long as it works and cheap I'll buy what I need. I like to write longhand for my book, so I get notebooks on sale ususally on Back to School Sales and other stationary at this time too. I get free pens at the local Senior Fair every year. Free is the greatest!

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not that picky in my writing materials, I usually just write with a simple ball point pen. I don't really like sign pens because they can sometimes smear the paper when I write and my hands are moist.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to hand write letters to loved ones quite a bit, and still have some stationery and note cards left over from those days. At that time, I was also somewhat particular about my pens. My hand and wrist issues have gotten worse over the years, though, so my handwriting has devolved to the point of being somewhat illegible. I'm a leftie, so it was never the best, but these days, I tend to type most of my correspondence. I do have paper in various colors, as well as some specialty paper for special occasions, but nowadays the majority of my correspondence expenditures are on printer ink, which can get quite pricey.

13. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't much bother about my stationary and use whatever is available. Although I love smooth writing pens but since I use them daily and get lots of gifts, they don't last me long. So I use whatever I get. I personally buy stationary quite rarely.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger, you cannot see me using just any pad paper in writing because I prefer the yellow pad which was expensive during that time. And with the pen, it is always Parker Pen for me. Actually I still have a Parker which I use for signing documents. For pencil needs, I prefer the blue Staedler (I hope my spelling is correct) which is quite expensive but worth the class.

However, in this digital age, it is mostly softcopy for communications - email, text messages, messenger messages, etc. And the pen is not much used in favor of the keyboard.

15. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you are not alone. When it comes to writing materials I'm also keen when it comes to buying them. When it comes to papers, I see to it that the paper is thick, and has been recycled (I'm an environmentalist at heart). About pens, I always go with the fine tips and ball pointed--I don't like felt based pens since they don't write smoothly unless of course I have to write on smooth plastic.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    No, I'm not really picky with what I use to write. I actually am content with the quality of pens and sign pens that are around 10 to 25 cents each. I don't really see any difference between the cheap ballpens and expensive ballpens and sign pens that I used to use like Pilot. They all look the same to me.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have gone almost paperless in last couple of years. In fact I am not using any paper in my office or home for last 5-6 years apart from a small notebook that I use to note down the shopping list for household items. I think the use of paper is going to reduce further in coming years.

18. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    I know I can be so sometimes. I just like to have my own things done my own way. Does anyone else feel this way, or am I the only one here? I am very particular. This is not necessarily a bad thing either; many people just are that way.....

19. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say I am picky with my content to purchase. This applies to writing material. Also this applies to the reading as well. So stationary is something I purchase only in discount. This way I end up saving a lot of material. And you can see that is the way to save money. We get stationary discounts here.

20. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I just saw someone who is as wired as I am in terms of choosing writing materials. I prefer using black pen in all my writing all through my university days. I never made a single writing without a black pen. I find it very difficult reading a write up done with a blue pen.

Anytime I try using a blue pen to write something, it makes my handwriting looks messy and very boring for reading. So I try as much as I can to avoid blue pen when writing.

Also I have a preference of writing on a brown paper sheet than a white one. White paper sheets are too slippery for me in writing. I love the brown ones more because it allows me to have better control of my writing than the white ones.