Are you afraid to travel nowadays?

Discussion in Travel started by Jennifer • Jul 4, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many natural disasters happening all over the world today, including terrorism. I have to admit that it does put me off traveling abroad. I have this fear (perhaps an irrational fear) of being stranded or worse, dying in another country, away from my loved ones and my familiar surroundings.

Do you feel the same or do you still travel despite everything that is happening in the world?

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on where is the destination. Of coarse before you travel you have to see to it that where you are going is a safe place. About natural disaster, it is hard to predict where will they occur so just forget about it. I love traveling because it makes my mind relax and it is so refreshing so I don't think I would ever egt scared of traveling.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Nothing will put me off traveling. Ever. I feel that it does mean that one needs to be more present and aware...but when you look closer, that could be a good thing? For example, I am planning a trip to South East Asia. The last time I went...I just bought a ticket and went. The decision and the purchasing of the ticket happened within minutes.

Now, I am looking at the seasons, so planning on going when it is not monsoon season etc. It has taught me a greater Respect for Mother Nature. As for the 'terrorism' etc, I am starting to suspect that it is The News itself that is the true terrorist, spreading its message of terror.

So, this was my long-winded answer...that nothing will stop me from traveling and expanding. Fear will never win.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, not at all. To be honest, natural disasters have always been around. And I understand that after 9/11, it brought terrorism close to home for people....but terrorists have been around for a long time, too. I don't feel any safer with all those airport security measures they put in and continue to travel as I please.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not concerned with the transportation aspect of traveling or even the potential natural disasters that could happen while I am there. The events as of late has narrowed down where I would be willing to go, however. I do wish that I had pushed a little harder to go to Europe with a friend years ago before all of the bombings. I doubt very seriously if I'd go to Europe now.

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not afraid to travel at all, despite international strife and natural disasters. The only two things preventing my fiancee and I from traveling: money and identification. In Canada, you need a lot, and I mean a lot, of identification to get a passport. If it weren't for that deficiency in government, I would have been to Paris twice already in my lifetime.

7. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey Jennifer, I do share the same fears you have. The world around us has just gotten much more chaotic over the past 10 years with seemingly increasing episodes of natural disasters and acts of terrorism. I'm more concerned about being caught in a terror attack while traveling than being caught in a natural disaster since such disasters being "natural", there is no sure way of determining when they would strike. In that sense, I tend not to be bothered about such natural events since it really is about your own luck and fate if you were to get caught in one. As for terrorism, I have to admit that I am afraid of taking the plane sometimes simply because there is no way of escaping should anything happen mid-flight. Now when I travel, I'll always check out the local environment to see what the situation over at the country is like. If it is strife with violence and bombings, you can be sure you'll never even see my shadow there! I also tend to stick with the more stable countries as my choice of travel nowadays. Call me paranoid or whatever, but I do value my precious life!

#7Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  8. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Life is too short and the world is too large to let anything stop me from traveling. A natural disaster can happen anywhere at anytime without warning therefore its illogical to be to try and plan around that. In regards to terrorism and other things happening around the world in regards to politics and such - just being careful where you go should be enough. I would travel to the border or North/South Korea right now if you know what I mean but as long as the country is not at war or taking figutives then its all good

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will not give in to fear, it is true it has gotten more dangerous not only aboard but at home also. We can not control mother nature so we just have to know how to deal with what ever comes our way.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not really afraid to travel. I really don't like the hassle of going through security, being x-rayed and such. I find that really annoying and the thought of it makes me not want to travel as much.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I would agree with everything out there it does make me a little nervous. People are so unpredictable you never know who could be a terrorist. Planes are crashing and there are so many malfunctions it's hard to stomach it all. Personally I prefer to be on the ground if I travel in a car or something that I have more control over. Planes just have too many people that are disruptive. I know the staff tries to remove these people, but sometimes there are ones that get through. I'll only fly if I absolutely have to and it can't be avoided. Otherwise I'll try to drive or take the Grey hound bus.

12. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been on a plane many times, but I've been quite a few times, both before and after 9/11, and I've never been on a plane that was hijacked, or that malfunctioned, or where there was a disruptive passenger or a terrorist. There are a few misfortunes that will always get blasted out by the media, but for the most part flying is not particularly unsafe.

13. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    What's the point in living in fear? Sure, I wouldn't travel to a country that has current issues going on with the aftermath of a natural disaster(unless I was going to help and do my bit), But I wouldn't avoid going places because something "Might" happen, that would be pretty ludicrous.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    No, it is just as dangerous to stay in your home as it is to go elsewhere. Bad things will happen no matter where you go so you just have to take you life in your hand and go enjoy the wider world. Besides if you use a bit of common sense most of the troubles will never touch you.

15. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    Out of country travel? Sure. You couldn't pay me to travel to Mexico right now. However, within the United States I'd roam as I please... actually just got back from a 4th of July trip to Chicago. I love traveling and seeing things.

16. Squeesh

SqueeshNew Member

Threads:
    I'm currently traveling in Tunisia which has been an amazing adventure so far. at first i was pretty scared about traveling in another country especially since the revolution but it has been rewarding beyond what i ever thought i would get from this trip. Its OK to be cautious but don't let your fear ruin your life or chances at happiness.

17. AceOfHype

AceOfHypeNew Member

Threads:
    I think there's always a risk when it comes to travelling, I mean going anywhere where the values are completely different to yours and perhaps have a completely different climate will have it's risks.

Any traveller I'm sure has weighed and compared the risks to the benefits and amazing experiences they may get from travelling.

I for one, am not afraid of travelling at all. But I always try and research as much as I can about the area I'm travelling, make sure I have travel insurance and am vaccinated for any diseases in the area.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Are you specifically afraid of Mexico and other countries.....or is it just the idea of traveling internationally at all, regardless of location, that scares you?

19. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Come on , now it's safer than years ago! More safety things (like monitorings), better political care of their citizens, better medical care. Natural disasters have always been. It's just media that make them bigger and more frequent. Now there are ways to predict them and/or head them off.

It's like you said in your country you can't be killed or you can't be in for natural disasters (or unnatural, buildng collapsing or something).

20. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    If money was not an issue, I would love to travel. Money is what is keeping me from traveling, not fear. I think you do need to consider weather factors when traveling. If you have concerns about traveling to other countries because of terrorism, then you could always travel closer to home.