Are you a cable subscriber or not?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by brutal37138 • Nov 26, 2013.

1. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    I read this article yesterday:

So, TV is dying, cable subscriptions anyway, so I wanted to see what other people are doing. Do you subscribe to cable? If not, what do use for an alternative?

We have broadband cable internet through Charter, we receive offers from them multiple times a week for their cable service, but do not have it currently. It's a blitzkrieg of useless advertising because I couldn't care less if we have cable or not, preferable not because I get sick of the commercials and constant reruns. My significant other likes cable, but would only truly benefit from the Nfl Channel, which costs significantly more money. Right now we substitute with Netflix and watch videos online.

2. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I used to have the bundle package, with TV, Phone, and Internet all from the same provider. About a year ago I ditched the landline, and now I'm thinking about ditching the TV cable. I'm looking into cord cutting, and quite frankly, I don't watch 90% of what's already on television. Everything I do watch can already be seen online or with the internet TV boxes, so I don't think I will miss out on much if I do decide to cut the cord.

As for internet, well I'll still need that. It's the one service that could potentially allow me to have alternatives for the other two.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable and landline, both are postpaid, while our internet connection is prepaid. No one uses the landline anymore, but my dad still wants to maintain it. I also hardly watch any tv either, so if I were to move out, I won't subscribe to cable.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We got rid of ours ages ago.

5. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    we watch more network tv than cable so we dont subscribe to cable. Also, with everything being online now, we dont feel we're missing much.

6. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I have cable and here in Portugal it is not dying but growing. Maybe soon it will start dying, but it's not the case yet and I believe it will take quite some time until that happens.

7. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I used to subscribe a cable service until there's one time when the company has overcharged me on my bill. The customer service of that cable company isn't too good considering I have technically yelled at the person. Now, I use satellite TV, which I think it's better because it has a strong signal strength, plus I don't have to worry about if someone is going to cut the cable line outside because you never know.

8. elviahanf

elviahanfNew Member

Threads:
    I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents house. It's a waste of money for anyone under 60, or someone who doesn't watch sports. I hardly watch tv, but when I do, I'm not going to pay to watch commercials. I'm just going to get on netflix and hook it up to my tv.

9. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    We'be had cable subscription for decades now and I think we've been used to having one that we can't actually live without it. :p Anyway, we were once subscribed to the wired version which connected directly to the TV but we have now switched to the boxed version. We haven't been able to try the wifi version but we're also considering to switch to it if we find that the service is good.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My colleagues are prodding me to use the streaming in the internet instead of connecting to a cable provider. But we already have a cable connection since 2001 when we moved in here so why would we change that? I know that there are lots of tv channels on a streaming basis for free but the speed of internet access here is not stable and sometimes the page even freezes. So we are sticking to our cable connection even if we pay a monthly fee.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable and will probably have cable forever. We like cable so won't go to anything like dish. There has been some negative reviews about dish, so I'm glad we got cable. Just wish our cable company had Senior Citizen discounts so we can get a better price and save some money, but alas when I asked them they said no Senior discounts, sorry. Oh well.

12. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    We use cable. It is not costly to be honest. I buy a three month package that gives me a good discount, extra channels and a cash back.

I have not found it costlier than going for other options besides since the TV is used almost all the time, it is just right for my budget.

13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I have been a cable subscriber for our TV viewing with the intention to see a good quality movies and a various channels to select from. I think I had used the cable connection for two years. I became discouraged of continuing it though my monthly subscription fee is affordable. The movies being featured were repeated several times in a week. It was too boring. So I stopped it. I resulted to buy a new set of digital TV and have it used for playing an original movies in a DVD. At least I have saved for my monthly payment and I am free to watch my favorite movies. And I go back to use an aerial TV antenna to watch TV news update and some TV series aired everyday or week days.

14. RogMeet

RogMeetNew Member

Threads:
    We use Dish TV instead of cable. The local cable providers in our region can't be trusted nor do they give the HD channels in their packs. The Dish TV provides us a good overall experience and we get to subscribe to the specific channels we watch which reduces the cost unlike cables where we have to pay for every channel. Even the connection is not at all affected by any weather conditions otherwise if we look at the cable TV the connection just gets lost. Hence, we prefer using Dish TV in my home.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Currently, the only thing I do want to subscribe to is Netflix. Their service is incredible, the programming is extremely varied and the price that they charge is unbelievably good! :eek: This is already more than enough for me. :)

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we do subscribe to cable and we only pay around $11 per month, it's the basic package, and I'm fairly satisfied with the channels, since I only watch 6 to 7 of them at the most.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our original cable tv subscription is Sky Cable. But when some channels were dropped, particularly Balls Channel where mixed martial arts fights were shown, I decided to shift to Cigna which is cheaper in subscription. But wait. We have 2 tv sets – in the living room and bedroom – that would entail an extension connection which is 50% of the subscription. Instead of cutting off Sky, we let it remain in the living room and had installed Cignal for our bedroom. So now we pay for 2 cable providers but it’s worth it because we have a bigger variety of channels.

18. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Cable subscription is one of the things that I don't have to bother about. I'm an action-oriented person so I want to do things, not watch people do things. I don't want to pay cable providers for things I don't enjoy watching. I've been using free television since I started living on my own and I only care about the local news lately. It's my son and his caregiver who watches TV more often, specially during weekends.

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    There are several cable network in my country people subscribe to in order to get the satisfaction they crave when it comes to entertainment and relaxation at home. The most commonly subscribed one is DSTV. It comes with a wide range of channels that gives people good service for the paid money.

The problem with DSTV is the cost of its subscription. It is very expensive subscribing to DSTV but there are other companies that makes things a little easier and affordable for people especially GOTV. Personally, I subscribe to GOTV and it still gives me a good service in respect to my money.

20. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do subscribe to cable and actually have the triple play bundle. We were going to get rid of cable and just go down to the internet only but the cost of just internet was almost as much as paying for cable, internet, and landline so we opted to wait. I have Netflix and Amazon and I don't really watch TV that much. If we could have cable and pick the channels we watch and not have any other ones then that would be great, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. We also have a streaming box so we watch a lot of movies on that too.