Are Those 50% Or 60% Deals Real?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by Denis Hard • Sep 14, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You've probably seen some of these offers online. It sounds too good to be true IMHO. Many stores can offer discounts of up to 20% but 50% wouldn't that person be making a loss unless the product is digital? Are these offers merely numbers slapped on something to get buyers to buy the item/product, etc because they think they are getting a good deal when in fact they might be paying more than what that item or product is worth?

Scams, are they?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    They're real - but generally a carefully engineered illusion.

As although its generally assumed that retailers usually mark down goods in order to either make sure that they get rid of all their inventory at the end of each season or to get rid of those items that haven't been selling well - whilst taking a hit on their profits at the same time.

Its actually quite the opposite - as most deals these days are planned to be profitable - and therefore as the discount is now already priced into the product at the time of manufacture - meaning that the RRP is normally set way above what the goods are expected to sell at and way, way more than the retailer has paid for them - what that means in reality - is that when you buy goods at their discounted price - you are in fact buying goods at nearer their true value - as the discounted price - is the price those goods were originally designed to sell at.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Always read the small print as the 50% off can be off the RRP, but if it is off the last listed price then they can be a bargain. Some stores have genuine offers, but too many use the adverts as a means to attract people.

I look for 'clearance' because that usually means that they will reduce the item heavily. Online you can always check the prices anyhow and in the UK we have trading standards agencies (like BBB) and if companies mislead then they can be fined, and many have been which is why they have to display a disclaimer.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The deals are real for the buyer. I personally would buy a 60% off over 50% it's a better buy :rolleyes:. Bottom line is that businesses will make a profit unless they are giving it away and even then it's an expense in their favor.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, many large businesses and boutiques do mark up prices. Years ago, the general manager of an upscale mall told me that the initial prices are marked way up, and not to buy anything that wasn't at least 80% off. The rents are higher in those locations, so obviously the store owners are marking prices up to compensate for that, as well as the expectations of their clientele, since many seem to enjoy the feeling of exclusivity that comes from shopping in certain locations and shops.

6. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    They are real but not in a way that we think. Most of them do give discounts like that but for the most part it's mostly because of stocks overflowing or they want to get rid the things. Most of the time they're just a ploy. Some items are actually much cheaper than the mark up price and they just throw in the discount for marketing, so if you made a shirt and it cost you $20, you'll sell it for $30 and then throw in a discount so no matter what, you'll still make up for the sale.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The old adage that when its too good, think twice applies here. A 50 to 60 per cent cut is sure to raise eyebrows even on auction sites. What I have discovered is that some of these discounts have conditions attached. You night find that the discount is real but you will be required to buy another more expensive product to recoup the discount through the profit they rake in from selling you that item. In the end, the discount is illusionary.

8. Panorea W.

Panorea W.New Member

Threads:
    Another thing to keep in mind, is that when the items are discounted to that degree, they are usually discontinued items or counterfeit.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say they are but you have to ask the salespeople thoroughly because they might not be telling you things until you really dig up the truth. For instance, when they say 50 or 60 percent deals, stores aren't exactly referring to all items. Most of those deals are applicable for select items only so ask around before you make your purchase.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen many listings and almost all of them are cut down from some original price and I have researched a lot of them by comparing them not only to other local stores both online and offline but I also do tend to compare them to American prides as well and what I've found is that these products usually get way cheaper in the US and the price cut tends to be a lot slower to arrive in my city. Some of the listings are accurate with that fact considered whereas some I think are very much padded to make the discount look bigger than it actually is.