Apps that can help you lose weight and stay fit

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by BigBigFan • Nov 3, 2012.

1. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    Hello, As part of my upcoming new years plan to take better care of myself I'm looking for fitness related apps for my Iphone that can help me stay focused and on track. Right now I have one app called "lose it" that lets me track my progress but I'd like ideas on others that will actually motivate me all year long, will post to my social profiles, will reward me and make it easy to stay on track.

Which fitness apps do you consider a "must have" and why?

2. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite fitness app is an interval timer called impetus. There are many apps like this and they all work about the same, but this one works very smoothly on my phone. The reason it's my favorite is interval training is the main type of exercise I do, and it's very versatile. You can use walking, biking, spinning,running or anything you want, with or without equipment. This method also guarantees you won't get bored from doing the same thing over and over.

3. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    This one is a good one for those of us who really need motivation. There is an app called Gym Pact (

). If you don't work out, you pay! If you do work out, you get paid (thanks to everyone who participated who put in money first). It also integrates with another app called RunKeeper. So, it will track your running or walking workout if you aren't at the gym. It's a little intense because you put money in first, and you'll only make money if you keep up with your workouts. But, money is a huge motivator so I can see why this is a popular app.

4. Gift3d

Gift3dMember

Threads:
    My Fitness Pal

This app has a huge archive of foods and is basically a calorie counter. Not 100% sure but I think there may be workout routines but if not thats ok. Diet is the biggest part to becoming and staying fit.
    You can search anything and a list of foods will come up. Oatmeal would show all kinds of instant oatmeal cereal will show every brand wiith servings sizes that you can chose from.

You should check it out.

5. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    If you are willing to spend $1.99 then the The Express Workouts iPhone App is a good app for beginners because the workouts are only 15 minutes long but they are effective. You're done with the routine even though haven't even finished grumbling about exercising yet. You have a wide variety of exercises to choose from. There are toning sessions for different muscle groups as well as cardio workouts. Instructional videos as well as step by step instructions/images are provided for folks like me who have a hard time following video demonstrations. You are also able to track your progress since you can store your workout sessions, number of sets and reps in your log. If you feel you need a calorie counter then the Nutrition Menu - Calorie Counter has 78,000 foods you can choose from and it is heaven sent because it includes food from popular restaurants! Now you won't need to guess how much calories that burger will set you back. It tells you not just the caloric content but the carbs, fat, protein, sodium, sugar, cholesterol and fiber too. Unfortunately it's not free. You need to part with $2.99.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I have not tried any of these apps for workouts but still looking at them and reading the reviews. They have a lot of exercise apps out there and a lot of them are free-and one that I found interesting if you like to have some adventure in your life is a app called "Yonder", which helps you find some great backpacking or hiking places. You can post the pictures from your adventure on Instagram and add tags, so others can find it. The reviews do not look to good though for this Yonder app-so I think I will stick with the YouTube videos for workout ideas-like Betty Rocker and and some others.