All In One Desktops, Are They Worth It?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by littlewitch66 • Oct 10, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have always been a big fan of desktops and as my present one is very old and slow now I am considering buying a new one. I have been put off the all in one type by comments on another forum where people say they are not as good as desktops with towers as if anything goes wrong it is usually more costly because the whole thing will have to be repaired.

I would be interested in the views of some of you techy people. Are these all in one computers a good buy and do they last as long as desktops with towers?

2. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, I would suggest that you go with the tower desktop. Well, considering that the all-in-one, is an improvement of the tower desktop, it has many advantages but the tower desktop has refused to go down, without a fight. The most basic advantage of the all-in-one, is the space it helps save around your workspace. They also have a wider range of entertainment, since they have tv tuners, hence you can watch television, and also a built in blue-ray players and HDMI output that allow you to connect gaming consoles.

However, some of the major disadvantages of all-in-one desktops are;
    1. The fact that they use smaller systems, it means that they are less powerful.
    2. In an all-in-one desktop, one is not able to upgrade most components, except maybe the RAM, due to restrictions in space.
    3. In case some components get destroyed, then you would be required to replace the whole computer, which would be costly.
    Therefore, my recommendations would be, if you are a light user of the desktop, then you can rush to the store and grab an all-in-one desktop, but if you are heavy user, in that your activities include video editing and gaming, then stick with the tower desktop.

3. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @NicholasMukuha@NicholasMukuha Thanks for this really informative and helpful post. I had already heard from other people that they were really expensive if they went wrong but I just liked the idea of the space it would save and the fact they can be used for other purposes.

I'm still weighing the advantages against the disadvantages but your post will help me make an informed decision.:)

4. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    An all in one computer is not as good as regular desktops. They are basically a laptop crammed into a desktop monitor. And they can't really be upgraded other than ram and a bigger hard drive. And good luck trying to fix it if something breaks. Because if it's not under warranty it's going to be cheaper to buy a new PC then fix it.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As with the traditional desktop, it is still my choice over the new designs. When we bought a new laptop last year, we were offered a desktop model that is compact. It was cute and I was tempted to evaluate although the cost is more than the ordinary laptop. There was a time when we bought a compact desktop in our office. It lasted for 2 years and when it broke down, the technician wouldn’t repair it and said it is disposable.