A Strange Question

Discussion in Pets started by Jason76 • Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Cats love to eat animals from the sea. Note, cat food is full of seafood products. Nonetheless, cats hate water. To sum it up, it's unlikely they would actually hunt sea animals in the wild.

How could cats have a developed a love for seafood?

#1Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that the sea food is cooked so maybe it is more of the cooking and less of the ingredient that the cat loves. However it is a known fact that cats love fish because of the aroma of cooked fish. I can relate to that because our dogs relish fried fish more than meat and their all time favorite is broiled fish.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I tried searching the answer for your question, and it turns out that cats are fish hunters by heart. Read this link for more info:

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I know that dogs also like the taste of fish. I've met people that love fish and are afraid of the sea. It's just the taste, I suppose. One of the stray cats I used to feed my left overs to preferred chicken bones over any kind of fish.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Cats love the smell of the fish raw or otherwise. They can actually hunt for fish in shallow calm waters.

6. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the cats in our backyard actually dive to catch fish at a nearby river. I don't find it amusing because maybe I grew up seeing cats doing that. BTW, cats hate cold water but not the warm. We own cats and we help them clean themselves by taking them to bath in warm water--they love it actually.

7. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    Well, if you take it back to the wild.....Siberian Tigers are known for catching fish if they can't find anything larger to hunt or catch. And I truly believe that all domestic cats have a little wild tiger in them, just by their natural love for "the chase" or "the hunt".....even kittens will spend hours chasing things around like toys or shoelaces, etc. All part of their instinct to hunt and catch things.

By the way, GOOD QUESTION! I've never really given that one much thought, and I have tons of cats...and yep, they all love seafood and fish. ;)

8. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do agree that cats hate water but just cold water, and about the fish thing, I think it's the smell of fish. I do find it appetizing whenever I smell fish being fried or roasted. Since animals have better sense of smell than humans, I bet they love it even more than we do.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I believe that's the correct development cats hate cold water, they are fine with warm water. Fishes and other some sea foods are cats preferred meals. I think this is due to their high protein contents.